Who does the best waxing courses?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is nothing wrong with healthy debate.Gelly and i dont agree but from my point of view im not going to dismiss everything she has to say in the future.
It happens all the time in the forums and in a way so it should.You haven't started anything bad.I did feel a bit cross for a while like you do when you want someone to agree with what you are trying to get across in an argument but anyone reading the thread through can take out what is right and what is wrong and im not saying thats all my bit,and thats a healthy debate.

Like it has been said time and time before, different people have different ways and speeds of learning. I think it all depends on what you do with what you have been taught and how you put it into practice. If you spent a year in college doing nails for example, it doesn't make you any more knowlegeable than the technician that has done a foundation course (5 days) with a reputable training company. I would infact say that the technician will have more knowledge as they are banging out set after set and learning with each client that sits at their desk than the college student who will only get maybe a few sets a week.

Its not neccessarily the easier route, if the correct information is given on A+P and H+S then it is down to the therapist to go away and learn it which they should if they are passionate about what they do and want to keep their client base. You could spend all year with your head in a book but there is no experience like hands on experience. If more time was spent on practical experience to cover every eventuality then there would be alot less bad experiences for people who have waxing and the theory should be something you work on in your own time and then tested on the final day before obtaining a qualification.

David I wasn't talking about spending a whole year with your head in a book:eek:,in fact this is NOT my point at all.What I was saying is this..
It is NOT possible to learn all the A&P and H&S plus learn all the waxing techniques on all the usual areas of the body in 1 day.Now I dont believe it's physically possible for anyone(no matter how intelligent)to take this all in and be competent to work on the general public with total confidence for reasons below....Also you are 100% right,there is nothing like hands on experience but how can you gain experience if you have never waxed the area before hand?How do you know if you are doing it correctly?there is no way on earth, time to cover every area,i.e underarms,bikini,full leg,arm,chest,back,eyebrows,lip,chin all in a day,along with your A&P,H&S,this is why I'm saying a LONGER course is needed

Now if you do a college course(this is an example,dosn't have to be a college course:rolleyes:)you have time to practice on many different people,with different hair types,different areas,different problems,you have the back up and the support of your tutor & your peers,whereas IF you do a ONE day course you are NOT going to wax every single area that is needed,Not going to come across different problems,different hair types,not going to have time to learn how to explain to a client why their hair has grown back after a week in some areas because they have spent their entire 'hairy life' shaving and this is their first wax,not going to be able to explain the different stages of hair growth to the person that asks(and they damned well do)not going to understand what medications and illnesses are contra-indications to waxing,I could go on and on.

Now I'm sorry to bang on and on and Kim I think your idea of extra training to the already qualified waxer is excellent but No,I dont agree that a 1 day wax course is sufficient to enable anyone to start waxing on the public,and a lot of these one dayer waxers actually do go right out there and start waxing,get into difficulty and then lose their confidence because they have only done a tiny bit of waxing on their 1 day(which probably consisted of a max of 2 hours,once all the theory was done and they watched the demo etc)

There are some that apparently are the bees knees since qualifying in their one day course and good for you, but I know loads on this site and in person that are certainly not confident at all in their waxing following their ONE day course and thats one of the reasons why I think it's not a good idea.
I wont comment anymore as I seem to have peed some off but sorry this is a debate on a professional forum and I'm saying how I feel.

To the person(sorry cant remember who it was now) who queried my Creative course that I did at college pm me and I will be only too pleased to explain:hug:Merry xmas all, xx

Kim I think your idea of extra training to the already qualified waxer is excellent but No,I dont agree that a 1 day wax course is sufficient to enable anyone to start waxing on the public,and a lot of these one dayer waxers actually do go right out there and start waxing,get into difficulty and then lose their confidence because they have only done a tiny bit of waxing on their 1 day(which probably consisted of a max of 2 hours,once all the theory was done and they watched the demo etc)
Just to clarify my point because I think it's all got a bit blurred.

I'm not saying that a 1 day course is sufficient for someone without any training.

I am saying that there are countless number of 'qualified' beauty therapists who went to college for 2 to 3 years and they still cannot wax.

I see it broken down into 3 parts:

1. The theory of waxing is most important and can be studied at college or at home and out of good reference books if need be. I do think that an exam needs to be taken though.

2. The practical training needs to be taught, hands on, on a course run by an expert. I think that if there's been no prior training, then a 3 day course of nothing but the practical side of waxing is fine. I'm talking solid waxing for three days though. Don't forget that the theory will have already been done.

3. Then, once the course is over, to become excellent at waxing you need to practise or do waxing every day in a salon environment. The reason I say that is that if you work for yourself and are terrible at waxing, the chances are that most clients will not complain; they'll just start going elsewhere. Therefore, you won't know it's because your waxing is crap and you won't improve.

I paid to attend the local beauty college's salon where the students did treaments. Let me tell you that the waxing was the most traumatic experience of my life. She took what seemed like hours to wax my legs. The trainer had loads of students to attend to so she popped her head around the curtain once and checked over my legs at the end and said 'That's fine', despite he fact that she'd missed loads. On top of that, I was left bruised and burnt.

It is NOT possible to learn all the A&P and H&S plus learn all the waxing techniques on all the usual areas of the body in 1 day.Now I dont believe it's physically possible for anyone(no matter how intelligent)to take this all in and be competent to work on the general public with total confidence for reasons below....Also you are 100% right,there is nothing like hands on experience but how can you gain experience if you have never waxed the area before hand?How do you know if you are doing it correctly?there is no way on earth, time to cover every area,i.e underarms,bikini,full leg,arm,chest,back,eyebrows,lip,chin all in a day,along with your A&P,H&S,this is why I'm saying a LONGER course is needed

Now if you do a college course(this is an example,dosn't have to be a college course:rolleyes:)you have time to practice on many different people,with different hair types,different areas,different problems,you have the back up and the support of your tutor & your peers,whereas IF you do a ONE day course you are NOT going to wax every single area that is needed,Not going to come across different problems,different hair types,not going to have time to learn how to explain to a client why their hair has grown back after a week in some areas because they have spent their entire 'hairy life' shaving and this is their first wax,not going to be able to explain the different stages of hair growth to the person that asks(and they damned well do)not going to understand what medications and illnesses are contra-indications to waxing,I could go on and on.

As you have not done a one day course then I am afraid I have to correct you. I did cover all of this on my one day course, every last part, except the confidence but that ws down to me not the course because the other 3 girls on the course were ace. And who is to say that you get every hair type on a college course? You cannot guarantee what walks through the college door to let you practice.

I don't think anyone comes away from ANY type of course and feels 100% confident ... doesn't matter what you are learning it's always the same, you never really learn until you are in the real world doing it every day unsupervised. There ARE those who can pick things up quickly, you may not be one of them which just makes you different ... and of course there are those that NEVER pick it up ... but somehow they come out of college wielding their little NVQ 2 piece of paper because - and I think it was Gillian who said it - that the NVQ system makes it allowable for the system to be abused .... and I don't care what you say, we all know that there are those who "passed" their assessment in every NVQ qualification going when they shouldn't have. But that's a whole new debate altogether!

We will never agree on this one, just don't put us short coursers down as being less qualified or less skilled, there are those who spent 2 years in college and I wouldn't let them near me.

BTW as an FYI, a permanent makeup course is usually only 5 days long and you can go and work on the public ... but boy you will never have had such intense and hard training in all your life. It's not for the faint hearted that's for sure!

As you have not done a one day course then I am afraid I have to correct you. I did cover all of this on my one day course, every last part, except the confidence but that ws down to me not the course because the other 3 girls on the course were ace. And who is to say that you get every hair type on a college course? You cannot guarantee what walks through the college door to let you practice.

I don't think anyone comes away from ANY type of course and feels 100% confident ... doesn't matter what you are learning it's always the same, you never really learn until you are in the real world doing it every day unsupervised. There ARE those who can pick things up quickly, you may not be one of them which just makes you different ... and of course there are those that NEVER pick it up ... but somehow they come out of college wielding their little NVQ 2 piece of paper because - and I think it was Gillian who said it - that the NVQ system makes it allowable for the system to be abused .... and I don't care what you say, we all know that there are those who "passed" their assessment in every NVQ qualification going when they shouldn't have. But that's a whole new debate altogether!

We will never agree on this one, just don't put us short coursers down as being less qualified or less skilled, there are those who spent 2 years in college and I wouldn't let them near me.

BTW as an FYI, a permanent makeup course is usually only 5 days long and you can go and work on the public ... but boy you will never have had such intense and hard training in all your life. It's not for the faint hearted that's for sure!

I know several people who have done a one day waxing course Sarah and I have been told that they did NOT cover all areas I have specified,there was simply not enough time.A novice waxer will take ages(well over an hour sometimes 2) to wax a full leg let alone every area that I have specified.

Yeah I know some waxers that are rubbish as well,and I too wouldn't let them near me,but at least they had the chance to practice,practice and practice before they were let loose on the public,maybe they are just NOT cut out for the job.

As for all hair types,well after doing all your assessments you have general public coming in left right and centre for treatments so you are pretty likely to cover all hair types.

We can go round and round in circles but will have to agree to disagree I guess.I'm not against a five day course or even three just a one day course in my opinion is Not enough to learn it all,waxing techniques,practice and theory.

Oh and I do learn things pretty quickly the longer route was just my personal choice for reasons I have already stated.

p.s enough from me,feel like Im ranting and thats not my intention.

Susie, at the end of the day, look out for a course which gives you an official qualification, it will at least give you a fighting chance. Good luck in your choice ... and happy waxing, it's something I don't or ever will enjoy, I just endure it. But many hate doing nail treatments and I love it! It takes all sorts!

Latest posts

Back