Who does the best waxing courses?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Susie H

Reaction score
Title says it all peeps, I called in at my local nail and beauty supplier who also do one day courses and was a bit underwhelmed.
They offer a one day course, 10.30 am to 3.30pm with lunch included for £125 plus vat they will teach eye brow shape, upper lip, bikini and leg wax, model not required, students will wax each other and the wax kit must be purchased before the class. Last time I looked it was about £50 +vat I think.
Now I could be wrong but I don't think I'd actually be getting that much for my money, or is it just that I was spoiled by creative:lol:
So please help me out guys, I don't like collage courses, because with my shifts its impossible to attend regularly and around here they are part of a beauty course and I like to learn one thing at a time.
So is it possible to learn waxing the same way I learned to do nails with a good company and if yes, who, why and how much.
Thanks peeps

my college allowed people to go in for just a few hours on a set day each week to cover individual units. i really dont think you can learn waxing in one day, although some geeks may disagree! I'd say it would be worth giving your local college a call and ask for some advice from the beauty department, we used to have someone come into our class just for epliation, for 2 hours every monday morning, and at the end of it she took her assesments and did her written work and got certified in just that unit, even tho the rest of us were btec students. sorry i cant be of much help, but even if you spoke to a tutor at college, they may know of some good shorter courses than can be more flexible :)

I think as with all learning it depends on your own way of taking in info. I did a waxing course that was 1.5 days and for me it was too short. That's because I hate waxing and I am not (or wasn't) confident about it. All my other skills I have done short courses and been fine ... but not with waxing. Only thing you could do is try it and go from there.

my college allowed people to go in for just a few hours on a set day each week to cover individual units. i really dont think you can learn waxing in one day, although some geeks may disagree! I'd say it would be worth giving your local college a call and ask for some advice from the beauty department, we used to have someone come into our class just for epliation, for 2 hours every monday morning, and at the end of it she took her assesments and did her written work and got certified in just that unit, even tho the rest of us were btec students. sorry i cant be of much help, but even if you spoke to a tutor at college, they may know of some good shorter courses than can be more flexible :)

Thanks for your reply, unfortunately my collage only does full or part time beauty courses which need you to be available on the same day at the same time each week and I am a shift worker and could only manage to attend once every seven weeks:cry:

I think as with all learning it depends on your own way of taking in info. I did a waxing course that was 1.5 days and for me it was too short. That's because I hate waxing and I am not (or wasn't) confident about it. All my other skills I have done short courses and been fine ... but not with waxing. Only thing you could do is try it and go from there.
Hi Sassy hun:hug:
Thats my problem, I am happy to do a short course followed by another one and then take Andy up on his offer, if I can find a victim:green:
But who with:eek: I like everyone want to spend my money wisely and I don't mind spending more if its for something first class but I know the value of word of mouth rather then advertising hype.:rolleyes:

I did mine with a private training provider and got a VTCT unit when I took the assessment a couple of months later when i'd practiced on some willing vicitms ... erm models! I don't know, iI just didn't fancy the idea of training with a wholesaler ... but again that's just my personal preference.

Doesnt Andy teach basic waxing as well as the intimate waxing ???

I did mine with a private training provider and got a VTCT unit when I took the assessment a couple of months later when i'd practiced on some willing vicitms ... erm models! I don't know, iI just didn't fancy the idea of training with a wholesaler ... but again that's just my personal preference.

ditto hun, but I'm sorted, Kim is going to be putting courses together in 2008 and she's going to pm me when she's ready, I think we'll suit:lol:

Doesnt Andy teach basic waxing as well as the intimate waxing ???

I'm saving Andy for later:lol: but need a victim, problem is, and this will probebly sound strange, but I really wouldn't feel comfortable waxing a man I know, except hubby and he informed me that just the thought of it has made his bits retract up around his kidneys, guess thats a no then:lol:
And its not the sort of thing I can ask a stranger to do PMSL ye gods could you imagine it, I'd get arrested and you lot would have to have a whip round to pay my bail:green:

I'm saving Andy for later:lol: but need a victim, problem is, and this will probebly sound strange, but I really wouldn't feel comfortable waxing a man I know, except hubby and he informed me that just the thought of it has made his bits retract up around his kidneys, guess thats a no then:lol:
And its not the sort of thing I can ask a stranger to do PMSL ye gods could you imagine it, I'd get arrested and you lot would have to have a whip round to pay my bail:green:

Lol, bless ya, your poor hubby! :D

Just to help with the search a bit more, Susie - how far would you travel, and could you take a few days off at a time, for example?

One word of caution from personal experience - check that any provider you are thinking of training with (whether at a wholesaler, college or privately) runs a course that is recognised by your insurance provider. I got stung when I first trained years ago and ended up with a certificate that was essentially nothing more than an expensive piece of paper, as my membership organisation wouldn't recognise it.

The Guild has an excellent training directory, you can search by area and type of course: Beauty Guild : Training Directory - Beauty Guild

Andy x

Please do something longer.I think its so insulting to the rest of us that these one day courses even exist.
Yes they are ok as an introduction or if learning a different system or as a refresher but to be certified and be able to practise on the public when you have never waxed before, after one day its not possible.
No wonder people are out there getting burnt and skinned and getting rubbish waxing and given us a bad reputation.
To be good at what you do you need to take the time.Its a skill to learn properly.Can you imagine saying to a client when they ask how long it took you to learn how to wax and they often do,and you say a day.
would you let a car mechanic or plumber who had done a day course work on your car or mend your toilet.

Please do something longer.I think its so insulting to the rest of us that these one day courses even exist.
Yes they are ok as an introduction or if learning a different system or as a refresher but to be certified and be able to practise on the public when you have never waxed before, after one day its not possible.
No wonder people are out there getting burnt and skinned and getting rubbish waxing and given us a bad reputation.
To be good at what you do you need to take the time.Its a skill to learn properly.Can you imagine saying to a client when they ask how long it took you to learn how to wax and they often do,and you say a day.
would you let a car mechanic or plumber who had done a day course work on your car or mend your toilet.
Could not agree more Gillian,it takes time and patience,waxing is a skill,just like nails,and i would never do a 1 day in course in nails,and the same applies to waxing.

I would check ot your local colleges and an approved internationally recognised qualification,and then you can PROGRESS,i say this because with waxing,like nails,like skin care you are then hungry for more education....well i am...LOL

The vtct,or itec,is a foundation,just like a CND foundation course,it gives you the skills to build....let us know the outcome Susie:hug:

I agree that courses should be longer but people don't want to pay. Be honest................how much would you all be willing to pay to learn total body waxing on men and women in say 3 days?

I agree that courses should be longer but people don't want to pay. Be honest................how much would you all be willing to pay to learn total body waxing on men and women in say 3 days?
I wouldn't be willing to pay the rate for a 3 day waxing course Kimmie because quite simply I find these short courses to be total rip off merchants,you could get a whole yrs course at a college and be a damned site more confident for less money.

I know some have had bad experiences with colleges and that is unfortunate but the difference between college learning and 1 day courses is huge.There's the practice, the support the constant going over and over one area until you get it right,the list goes on,whereas with these one day courses it's all just a minefield with teacher rushing through all the A&P and H&S just to get some hands on time and practice,which there is just NOT enough of because there are only so many hours in a day

People are doing these one day waxing or beauty,massage courses,think they are going to be confident(set up businesses in some cases)then haven't got a clue when they have qualified.It can all end up an expensive nightmare so I hope you find a good course Suzi and good luck chuck.:hug:

JMHO:green: p.s I dont feel 3 days is long enough either,sorry JMHO xx

I know where you're coming from about the one day courses but I don't agree with you that you learn more on a one year course. I think evidence of this is that most of the geeks that have trouble with waxing have been at college for two or three years and have trained up to level 2 or 3.

I know where you're coming from about the one day courses but I don't agree with you that you learn more on a one year course. I think evidence of this is that most of the geeks that have trouble with waxing have been at college for two or three years and have trained up to level 2 or 3.

I dont agree that most that have problems on the salon geek are college trained Kimmi,I would say quite the opposite actually.It has been my understanding that the majority of the geeks having probs seem to be the one day coursers.

I would also say that it stands to reason that a therapist should learn much more on a years course (which actually probably amounts to 12 weeks worth of waxing)compared to that of someone who has done a 1,2 or even 3 day course.Well if not then I dont understand why when the logistics of it speaks for itself

During college training most areas of the body are waxed(that's apart from intimate waxing which is a seperate course)then you are required to either do hot waxing or sugaring as well and all these same areas have to be waxed again,not to mention many hours of practice, put that next to a few hours on a short course I would say it's more than logical that the longer course is bound to have more of an impact which results in a more confident therapist.

But hey, each to their own and as I said this was just my opinion,I am level 3 qualified and just for the record it dosn't matter if you are level 2 or 3 qualified the same amount of training goes into waxing,its only level 2 that you do any waxing once you hit level 3 that's it,waxing training over.

I dont agree that most that have problems on the salon geek are college trained Kimmi,I would say quite the opposite actually.It has been my understanding that the majority of the geeks having probs seem to be the one day coursers.

I would also say that it stands to reason that a therapist should learn much more on a years course (which actually probably amounts to 12 weeks worth of waxing)compared to that of someone who has done a 1,2 or even 3 day course.

During college training most areas of the body are waxed(that's apart from intimate waxing which is a seperate course)then you are required to either do hot waxing or sugaring as well and all these same areas have to be waxed again,not to mention many hours of practice, put that next to a few hours on a short course I would say it's more than logical that the longer course is bound to have more of an impact which results in a more confident therapist.

But hey, each to their own and as I said this was just my opinion,I am level 3 qualified and just for the record it dosn't matter if you are level 2 or 3 qualified the same amount of training goes into waxing,its only level 2 that you do any waxing once you hit level 3 that's it,waxing training over.
Oh I see..........my mistake. I just assumed that they were all level 2/3. I'm forgetting about the private courses.

I know that waxing is taught up to level 2 but does that mean that during the year 3 training, you don't do any waxing at all? So during that final year, they would have forgotten all of their wax training? If that's the case, no wonder so many people lack confidence in it.

Of course a lot depends on your tutor.There are some brilliant tutors and some that have no interest in beauty therapy and have maybe only worked in a salon for a while and then become tutors and have no working knowledge and are rubbish.Or there are good therapists that cannot teach.
its all pot luck really like anything to do with education nowadays.

Oh I see..........my mistake. I just assumed that they were all level 2/3. I'm forgetting about the private courses.

I know that waxing is taught up to level 2 but does that mean that during the year 3 training, you don't do any waxing at all? So during that final year, they would have forgotten all of their wax training? If that's the case, no wonder so many people lack confidence in it.
No because most therapists once they are level 2 qualified are working in salons be it part time if they are at college full time or hours to fit around each other,so in theory you would be waxing all the time,being as waxing is one of the main services we offer(sure you know that:green:)

Most colleges would insist that their level 3 therapists(well,training to be level 3)have a work placement,this is crucial in the understanding of the whole level 3 therapists role and also to ensure the therapist remains competent in her other treatments from level 2,also the students have open days when public come into the colleges and the therapists may have to do an electrical treatment be it body faradic or electrolysis and may have client booked in for waxing as well.

So although the student isn't getting anymore training in waxing(because she would already have to be level 2 qualified in order to do her level 3)she is still carrying out the waxing treatments when doing a level 3 treatment.

Sorry if this is all gobbildygook,I'm tired,lol:green:and now I have just got a phone call from my stranded hubby who's stuck miles away,after being out on his xmas meal and train not stopping where it should have and now got to go and get him:mad:

Yes Gillian and that's why it's crucial that the correct research is done into what college you are going to attend,as you say there are some rubbish lecturers out there.

Yo the short course v long course debate rages! Love it!

I've done short and long courses and as I say in my training article, you need to choose what type of training suits you - for me in waxing a long course would have been better... and as Gillian says, a lot comes down to how good your tutor is. Sadly you won't know this until you are on the course and they have your money. I did level 2 Cossie Makeup at an FE College that had won awards for their beauty therapy school and it was the biggest pile of crap over 35 weeks I have ever suffered.

Let's face it, the main thing about college education is that you have a tutor on hand if you need it when you practice, and not everyone gets that due to the class sizes. However trying to watch a demo with 20 students huddled round a bed and trying to get that tutor's attention when you need it is not that great is it?

I guess that those people going through college now doing the level 2 & 3 in Nail skills will look down on us nail "short coursers" in years to come with similar derision and yet we know that the best techs in the world don't have an NVQ in nail technology, or been to college for two years.

Being a good therapist is NOT about the bit of paper that hangs on your wall, it goes way deeper than that. But I guess the debate will rage forever as people can't get their heads around the fact that some people learn in a different way than others. It's probably why colleges have such a large dropout rate ... they leave before rigor mortis sets in!!!!!

Latest posts

Back