Who else was disappointed at the Manchester Show?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

number1kitty

Reaction score
Year on year now its been getting worse. It looked like it had been pulled together in 1 week not 1 year. No one on the stands could be bothered bar a few stands I have to say took the time to care. I nearly went mental over the numerous amount of buggies and kids I tripped over. Why the hell are the organisers letting in kids.

The Show was a flesh market - Do I really need to see women and men in the least amount of clothes dressed like strippers!?! and thats just some of the visitors, not including the promoters.

No one was there at all. There was all of two wax companies, and no wholesalers, ellisons, HOF, Salonservices, M&S Supplies bothered.

There was god knows how many poorly dressed stands, people who didnt have a clue what the product was or did aarrrggghhhhhh!!!!

I went to buy Minx, Perron Rigot & Spa Ritual. Only got one of three of those and even they didnt have stock. Shame to say I couldnt even compare waxes so bought Mencini wax as they actually bothered to attend and there a new company!!

Where the hell were CND? Beauty Express? Collin? Lycon? Scratch?

Thats me done now - Will not be going back again. I feel cheated.

I want to write to the exhibibitors and complain. I mean there was load of space left to put stands and they should reduce their prices to exhibit so that genuine companies can afford it and then I would not begrudge paying to get in. So glad I didnt pay today!

How did everyone else find it?? Are you going again??

Sign of the times I think! During these hard times even some of the large well known companies are struggling would be my guess? I know that the cost of exhibiting at these shows is very expensive & maybe companies that are feeling the pinch cannot afford such outlay at the moment.

I did however read the PBN website before I went to see who would be exhibiting - so I no I was not dissapointed as I knew what to expect.

felt the same hun
i wanted to buy a load of stuff and came away with a tin of wax from hive and a subscription to pro beauty (did get a great ex flow freebie with it tho)
all in all was a bit poo

:rolleyes:was going to go but did not, glad i did not now! i feel alot better reading the above thought i was missing out on something.

felt the same hun
i wanted to buy a load of stuff and came away with a tin of wax from hive and a subscription to pro beauty (did get a great ex flow freebie with it tho)
all in all was a bit poo

LOL were you stalking me!! Thats all I came out with! Yes Pro Beautys freebie was great - I got the Bare Minerels!! :green::green::green:

As to sign of the times, its not effecting our industry at all. Yes we could all be busier but I think its all steady. Point is people wanted to buy. We did a lot of sales online and were meeting up with people at the show that wanted to buy stuff. Personally we couldnt afford to exhibit as its our first year- But you would have hoped the organisers would have wanted it to be full of good exhibitors than big empty spaces.

Roll on Brum...... How many days till April..........???

I had to much going on to make it to Manchester but I was there last year and thought it was fab!

Did you not get a list/booklet telling you who was exhibiting at the show? I always try and check out the exhibitors list so that I know what I will be able to buy.

I can imagine how disappointed you were but just think of all the money you saved!

It was my first year there so have nothing to compare to. However i thoroughly enjoyed. More tat there than i was expecting, not what i would call "PROFFESSIONAL"
But i would go again.

Well just got home from PB North, spent 2 days trawling 'round.
1st day was for having a good look/nosey/sounding out what I might buy and the 2nd day was for spending :lol:.
I was dissapointed in the lack of companies attending but saying that I did know what to expect as I'd checked before hand.
I found much less in the way of non industry related stalls this year, not a bad thing, but I have to admit I enjoy noseing 'round these after my main places have been covered.( There were a LOT more in the NEC show )

I've said this in a previous thread but I'll say it again anyway :green:...It's a shame that the company(s) responsible for the organising these shows, charge such an ridiculous rate for a space/stall and companies attending have to make an incredible amount of money to regain this cost...with the www at our fingertips,online ordering,advertising etc, it is simply not financly viable for companies to attend.

So there you go, despite the lack of some companies I enjoyed myself anyway and had an especially fab time at the Ezflow stand :lol:.
:hug:

I went today with college, after half an hour our little group had had enough of being barged into and shoved out of the way! Didn't really get to see anything as it was so packed :irked: We did go in for a second time and had a nice chat with some angels in tight silver pants though :green: All in all, we were a bit dissapointed and didn't buy hardly anything :(

I did overhear that the cheapest stall space they did was 3 grand(!) and then you had to pay for things like the actual stall, shelving, electric point, etc, on top of that.

So precious little chance of any small businesses being able to afford that kind of money and make it worthwhile, as well as it probably putting larger businesses off too (particularly if they are already getting enough advertising from other channels, e.g. print and web etc)...

ive been today for the first time with college, it was good but very busy this morning, i got a few bits and pieces which i was pleased with. Was hoping that scratch would be there so i could subscribe and maybes get a little freebie or offer but nope. Id go again next year even though it took such long time travelling there and back.

I went yesterday and god was it packed out I too was disappointed in the lack of nail companies there. I was also shocked to see lets say some not so professional stalls there.
I remember a few years back when these events were talked about for weeks and when every company was there.

well i enjoyed it, but any day out away from kids i enjoy (thats sounds terrible but ya know what i mean stress free day) had breakfast in starbucks and coffee, had such a laugh with work colleague. some of the people on the stands were really rude couldn't be bothered explaining etc (why bother going) but then some people really really nice. didn't buy much really, came home with loads of money. which is very unusual for me... can't understand why they have to charge so much for the space.. i know thats why some people get put off... i had a much more informative time at the event cnd. but hey ho, had a nice day all the same. at least it was free in.

the way i see it is that why should the reputable companies pay the mega bucks to be at a show surrounded by tack stalls....and unprofessional people and kids ect.....it just cheapens the whole thing. They have lost the true meaning of a trade show IMO

I've always had a few problems with Beauty "Trade" Shows.

1) How many people are really trade?
2) Why should you be able to buy product at the show? At all the gift / stationary shows its order only ... off stand sales are strictly forbidden
3) Why is anyone under the age of 16 admitted?
4) A Professional Only show shouldn't have stands selling cheap rubbish or TIGI products "Two for a Tenner" which I have seen before.

As to why the companies don't exhibit ... cost! When your average order is a few hundred pounds covering the costs, let alone making a profit on a £5,000 stand plus expenses (staffing, hotels, travel, product - a £200 order isn't £200 profit, dressing, advertising etc) is very hard!!

Why don't people like CND go? Why do they need to? Do professionals know the CND brand, yes they do. Do they need to see them at a trade show when they have various authorised distributors around the country people can go to much more locally? The same for a lot of the other companies - tanning, waxing, wholesalers. The investment to get to a show could well be spent much better on running multiple smaller events or a marketing campaign.

I can't see the industry contiuing to support Pro Beauty, Pro Beauty Manchester, Beauty UK, Beauty Olympia and the ones I've forgotten about.

Mat

I too went today and was shocked at the difference 2years have made. It was much smaller and less showcasing of new products. I have to say there were alot of demos to watch and nouveau lash stand had made alot of effort. This is what the shows should focus upon, displaying and educating on new products or techniques. Not just the sales. It would be a good idea to charge less to the exhibitors however then tickets prices would be issued to pay for advertising, admin etc. I will go again next year, but if it will be like this year, only to enter nail comps !

I've always had a few problems with Beauty "Trade" Shows.

As to why the companies don't exhibit ... cost! When your average order is a few hundred pounds covering the costs, let alone making a profit on a £5,000 stand plus expenses (staffing, hotels, travel, product - a £200 order isn't £200 profit, dressing, advertising etc) is very hard!!

I can't see the industry contiuing to support Pro Beauty, Pro Beauty Manchester, Beauty UK, Beauty Olympia and the ones I've forgotten about.

Mat

I agree...but most of the decent stands come in at around 12,000 + making it a big gamble for even large companies to take a risk at vagley making a profit as you said the costs go on and on.
so then it comes down to not profit but making a presence and maintaining your reputation in the industry, giving technicians inspiration as to what they can achieve in the industry and seeing it up live and personal instead of just reading about it in a magazine!
When the company that supplied CND products had problems and the wonderful 'Sweets' took over and bearing in mind that previously the stands at the shows were costing around 20,000 + it made perfect sence for them to invest this money into the company making it bigger and better...which they did. They have obviously invested in other companies making them grow and at the same time bringinging new products to techs such as Minx and the amazing Soak Off.
I think CND have the perfect idea like Ezflow and shortly many other companies to follow of doing roadshows. Bringing talented techs and excellent product to those who are genuinly interested and then benefit from it. This way forward costs less and achieves more for everyone.
Here Here for this way to continue as these are much more enjoyable days as grid locked in a cattle market of half dressed embarrased looking men lol!!!!

i usually work at the shows but lechat decided not to exhibit this year and i attended as a visitor at olympia.
i was talking to an exhibitor that i know and she told me that there were moves afoot to organise an independent show.

I don't understand this... Either you moan because you have to pay to get in or it's too expensive for the companies to hire. Do you really think it is free to rent such as Gmex/Olympia/Excel? Do you think the staff there is willing to do it for free? Please, there is NOT such as free lunch, somebodies have to pay for the party....

I went there, as usual. Because I was competing I didn't get to see much, but it was packed. OK, it was a little bit uncomfortable, BUT to get the big companies back, it is very good. Nobodies want to pay a lot of money to exhibit if there's no people....

Instead of moaning we should all have a brain-storming on how the show can get better!

I'll begin.

I would like to have a "nail-play-room" where you can bring your own model, tips whatever, to actually try some of the products. The companies can "donate" some products (I would believe this is good marketing) and they can also have one educator so people can ask. BUT I don't want the educator to do a demo, I rather want them to help ME on MY model/tips. To bring your own products would also be nice. Then it would be possible to meet other nailtechs and maybe ask them. We can all learn from eachother, we don't always need an educator.

Anybody else having good ideas?

Cec.

i usually work at the shows but lechat decided not to exhibit this year and i attended as a visitor at olympia.
i was talking to an exhibitor that i know and she told me that there were moves afoot to organise an independent show.

Well, in my opinion, I would rather have all the brands/companies at one place. We need this to get a diversity, so nailtechs get the opportunity to see what's on the marked, not only one brand.

Cec.

Latest posts

Back