Who else was disappointed at the Manchester Show?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To make the shows better they should stop being greedy and selling stands to just anyone.....Thats how it looks to me....Greed.

I wouldn't mind paying AT ALL if it was how it should be....a professional trade show....with Professional stands...not tacky stands selling stuff that is like you find on the Sunday markets.

I love the play room idea Cec...:hug:

Well, in my opinion, I would rather have all the brands/companies at one place. We need this to get a diversity, so nailtechs get the opportunity to see what's on the marked, not only one brand.

Cec.

totally agree, i meant that it would be independent from the usual organisers and so it would be less expensive for all the companies to attend.

I think the best thing about the show was the workshops. Andy's intimate waxing workshop was a full house and very well received from what I understand.

Am just glad that Sonia had the sense to make me some nice butties so I didn't need to pay over-inflated prices for food there!
Posted via Mobile Device

i was talking to an exhibitor that i know and she told me that there were moves afoot to organise an independent show.

This is being talked about quiet heavily by manufacturers and distributors alike...but the reality is
1) How the heck are we going to promote the shows as currently shows are generally organized by the trade publicists who use their magazines and data base to promote the shows

2) There is still a high cost for renting halls..insurances ,security etc etc.

So I do feel we would be in a worse position than we are today.

What is probably needed is two things

1) Far less shows...say London,Manchester,Edinburgh and organised as a joint effort by the magazine publicists..that way marketing campaigns would be to a much bigger audience which hopefully would attract more visitors and in time more exhibitors

2) maybe these fewer shows should be combined to make much bigger shows ...I.E. include the hair and even fashion sectors together with the beauty sector...

Just a thought :hug:

To make the shows better they should stop being greedy and selling stands to just anyone.....Thats how it looks to me....Greed.

I wouldn't mind paying AT ALL if it was how it should be....a professional trade show....with Professional stands...not tacky stands selling stuff that is like you find on the Sunday markets.

I love the play room idea Cec...:hug:

I agree with you, BUT what I find strange is that those "nick-knack" companies have the money to have a stand while the real companies don't have. For me, this makes no sense at all.

Another suggestion... This may be totally out of the blue, but... What if everybody who have a stand get the same amount of space? Then the smaller company would feel they could enter too. Like it is today very few small companies see the advantage to enter, not only because it is too expensive but because they feel they don't get seen because of the biggest companies having those incredible huge stands. As said, it may be totally out...:-D

Yes, give us a play-room to play AND to networking.

Cec.

in america, i have been to big shows that combine hair beauty and nails.

its also commonplace to pay an entry fee over there.

it'll be very interesting to see what the future holds for us, it seems plain that somethings got to change.

Trade shows should be for trade only and the non trade should be going to shows like the Vitality show.

It's not even about the paying to get in that bothers me.....it's the time it takes to get there, the parking etc etc. Mind you, I don't think it's fair to charge for entrance and then send out thousands of free tickets at the last minute to boost numbers, like they did last year.

in america, i have been to big shows that combine hair beauty and nails.

its also commonplace to pay an entry fee over there.

it'll be very interesting to see what the future hold for us, it seems plain that somethings got to change.

I think it is usual to pay entrance fee at many places. In Norway too and also at the big show in Dusseldorf. And it's not cheap... I think it is about 30-50 pound a day... I happily pay it!

Isn't it usually nails and beauty together here?

I would also welcome hair, nails and beauty in one show.

Cec.

It's not even about the paying to get in that bothers me.....it's the time it takes to get there, the parking etc etc.

Well... You can't get the show to your house... I don't understand this argument at all... Sorry....

Cec.

The thing I noticed this year that I haven't in previous years, was the amount of children there. This is supposed to be and ADULT, PROFESSIONAL show only - WTF is going on!!!

Also didn't see quite a lot of big players there like Calgel, Collin, Susan Molyneux, Aromatherapy Associates. Even Eve Taylor's stand was much smaller this year than usual.

There were not as many crap stalls as I would call them like there was at Birmingham, no clothes stalls or ornament stalls, but there was a couple of jewellery stands.

At one point I thought Sweet Squared was there because I saw lots of people wandering round wearing what looked like Minx but it was just a copy cat.

I think it is usual to pay entrance fee at many places. In Norway too and also at the big show in Dusseldorf. And it's not cheap... I think it is about 30-50 pound a day... I happily pay it!

Isn't it usually nails and beauty together here?

I would also welcome hair, nails and beauty in one show.

Cec.

yes we usually have nails and beauty together here but hair shows are seperate.

1) Far less shows...say London,Manchester,Edinburgh and organised as a joint effort by the magazine publicists..that way marketing campaigns would be to a much bigger audience which hopefully would attract more visitors and in time more exhibitors

2) maybe these fewer shows should be combined to make much bigger shows ...I.E. include the hair and even fashion sectors together with the beauty sector...

Just a thought :hug:

I agree with you in in both. AND I think the industry, both the companies and the consumers (I don't mean the public, but the nailtechs, beauticians etc...) should support those fewer shows. That will benefit everybody in the long run, in my opinion.

Cec.

I have to say I was shocked by the least amount of choice. Yes I tried the copy cat minx cause blinking CND were not there to try theres - But they pretty much sold out.

Kids - Damn Kids, I have three of my own and I found places for them to go, I like an adult day out - not to trip over ankle biters when I get that at home. And I kept tripping over trolleys and suitcases - I thought there were lockers you used to have to use?

They should reduce the larger stands down - I mean do we really need sunbeds at a show any more? and does every spray tan company really and honestly need to be doing 10 demos a time and often the same girl getting sprayed over and over until shes creosoted!

There should be an even selection of companies from all sectors and they should be zoned. eg Spray Tanning, Nails, Skincare, Waxing - So we can find what we want and stay in that section and compare companies.

I am all for them stopping charging for silly things like tans, nails, eyebrows and lashes etc. Demos are good but you dont need to charge and you don't need more than one going on at a time.

At least there was cafes and seating this year - which previously when pregnant I would have loved. I never eat there though as Manchester has a good selection of cafes and bars - like most cities - although you couldnt leave the NEC to pop out for lunch as its the middle of no where.

There needs to be a dress code. It should be smart wear only. Ok I was in jeans and at a weekend I am damned if I am dressing up suited and booted but there should be some rules to state that people attending look professional - there not walking the streets for business - there going to a business event.

Are these shows 'not for profit'?

Why can't Babtac and Guild work together and run one? They have access to a large database, and can easily advertise in all trade mags.

New and small companies should be encouraged to attend, £3K for a stand alone - plus a further £2K for lighting - banners - leaflets etc is harsh on many business' not just small ones. If your selling products for £10 thats a lot of people you have to sell to.

Be interesting to get feedback off the organisers.

I have to say I was shocked by the least amount of choice. Yes I tried the copy cat minx cause blinking CND were not there to try theres - But they pretty much sold out.

Minx is not a CND product and so it's not 'blinking CND''s fault that you couldn't try them. If your that desperate either ring Sweet Squared, buy a sheet and try it on yourself or go to a salon that are already doing them and have a set applied.

Sweet Squared distribute Minx in the UK. Minx are the manufacturer and are a US company, nothing to do with CND at all.

Hope that clarifies.

Hi guys,

Thanks for taking the time to comment on this weekend’s Professional Beauty Manchester.

A few things raised in this thread have got me thinking and I wanted to answer some of your comments

This year’s show had over 250 brands and 40 new exhibitors across, Skincare, Tanning, Salon supplies and Nails including OPI, Jessica, Essie, EzFlow, Orly, China Glaze, NSI, IBD, Pina Parie, Bio Sculpture, Millennium and Trendy Nails.
We too would have love to have all the leading brands at the show it is their choice whether they want to showcase their products through trade shows. And, whilst every company in the market is approached to participate it is often a case of budget, timing or prior commitments. If you want to see your favourite brands at the PB shows why not tell them how much you would like to see them at the next Professional Beauty.

This year PB magazine and its editor, Jenni Middleton, created a new masterclass programme of industry experts. After the London show we asked visitors what they wanted from their show and freeeducation / training opportunities was high on the list. As a result we’ve also got CPD-accredited certificates for all who attended. Another request was to highlight new products so they could be easily identified, leading to the launch of the ‘New Product Showcase’ on the show floor. With the help of exhibitors we put together a booklet of special show offers that could be found at the show – with over £33,000 of offers in real money. And finally we’re continuing to invest in our International Nail Competition with the help of sponsors who provided goodie bags and prizes packed full of product.

Whilst this is a trade-show, many of you in the industry are mothers and we don’t wish to potentially stop those working mums who are unable to find childcare from attending the event. Many therapists and techs run their business as a husband and wife team and when it comes to investing for the coming year you both need to be there to buy, that sometimes means baby comes too. Obviously it isn’t ideal to be buying product and looking after a toddler and a baby and we recommend that children don’t attend but we do appreciate that sometimes that isn’t always possible.

The show takes a year to put together with a dedicated team working across marketing, operations and sales to ensure your visitor experience is a good one. If you have a moment it would be great to know how you registered for your free entry badge – was it through a magazine insert, was it because of an advert, did you respond to an email, or was it through customer invitations or direct mail?

We really do want to hear your thoughts and comments on the show (good and bad!) and on how you feel we can make it better. Please do email either myself Alison Graham, Group Account Director ([email protected]) or Judith Mellor our Marketing Manager ([email protected]).

We review our 'Trade Show choice' formally once a quarter. So far, after each meeting we have decided to divert trade show expenses into something else that we feel will offer better value for our customers.

IMO, many trade shows have become a travelling car boot sale.

In the olden days shows were a great way to generate a spike in revenue and leads. Back in those days, the revenue generated at a show comfortably passed the costs incurred with conducting the show (and you got a lot of great leads!). These were the days when the only way to learn about what was new was to read a trade mag or... go to a show! Eventually show organisers (and the venue owners) caught on and ramped prices up. As costs ramped up, value of shows (to attendees) started to ramp down as new technology enabled people to explore and investigate what is new without travelling to a show. Lets face it, now a days if you are interested in learning about another company, do you only go to a show now? Nope. You Google it, visit here, email groups and friends, etc...

There are some shows that are better than others, but I believe that shows trying to live in the past will miss the future. Right now I am more interested in value creation for professionals via the Event and other avenues than setting up a £50k+ stall for the weekend to flog product just to cover the cost of being there to flog product ;)

That doesn't mean we will always skip shows, it just means that until we feel we can either raise the bar or get a better return on the investment we will more than likely continue on our current path.

There have been many distributors that I know of that have been having meetings regarding 'doing their own show'. There is some value in this, however IMO they are making 2 key mistakes:
1- They are 'picking and choosing who is involved'. This is nice to ensure the Tarot card readers won't be there, but daft when they go out of their way to exclude companies they feel are 'competition'. If not done with care, it becomes a giant peeing match and ego fest.
2- Many people involved are not looking at the difference between the industry 10 years ago versus now. Many of these companies seem primarily interested in getting back to shows being 'profitable' for themselves without realising the purpose of shows for the average professional has changed. Trade shows were a must 10 years ago. They aren't any more.

Anyhoo, hope that helps shed some light on an rebellious distributors point of view ;)

Minx is not a CND product and so it's not 'blinking CND''s fault that you couldn't try them. If your that desperate either ring Sweet Squared, buy a sheet and try it on yourself or go to a salon that are already doing them and have a set applied.

Sweet Squared distribute Minx in the UK. Minx are the manufacturer and are a US company, nothing to do with CND at all.

Hope that clarifies.

Yes most companies DISTRIBUTE other peoples products - they are responsible for them in the country for which they have rights. Therefore whilst its not made by Sweet Squared which I call CND because thats all I have ever called them. Then they would surely showcase all the products they distribute.

Have tried desperatly to get into a salon here to have them done and those I have found that have had them in are not re-stocking them. So I have tried that avenue as mentioned many times before.

And I want them applied as they should be - so I can try them out and give them a good once over. Even just on one nail - but I want to see them. The only things I have had a chance to see are Blix and TNU.

Have tried desperatly to get into a salon here to have them done and those I have found that have had them in are not re-stocking them. So I have tried that avenue as mentioned many times before.

Without wanting to get off topic here, just thought I would point out that you should simply call us. I am sure there are some salons that will only do a one off purchase, however I can tell you that it is indeed a minority. Minx is pretty huge and isn't really showing much of a sign of tapering off ;)

... back on topic :)

We review our 'Trade Show choice' formally once a quarter. So far, after each meeting we have decided to divert trade show expenses into something else that we feel will offer better value for our customers.;)

But would you have been there had the price been right?

I know that we do have access to the WWW but its still nice to come and see whats new, and try all the products under the one roof. Play, touch & feel is still very much a huge part in peoples buying decisions. I would love to play with Minx - but seen as I have spent the last 6 months getting nowhere I am going to have to put my money on the table and just buy it anyway. Same as popits - I still havent yet seen these in action.

Its nice to meet the people we as business' deal with on a weekly basis. It builds up and supports that relationship further. I certainly couldnt afford to get a stand at the show this year and would never have covered the costs of it. I think thats one reason why I remain loyal towards those this year that did, although some of their attitudes were way off.

It would be nice to see most companies there again and be allowed to see the new products rather than read about them on the net only.

I didn't go to the show, I had other plans before I knew about it. I was surprised though that it was free. I would have expected to pay an entry fee......and would hope that the exhibitors would maybe be offering some kind of discounts so that you would more than likely recoup the cost.
I would imagine though that if the cost to exhibitors is so high, then they are less able to offer any kind of discount to purchasers.

I think it's a real shame that (by what people have said) there are other products being sld which are unrelated to the industry, whilst many industry distributers are dissuaded from exhibiting due to the cost. I would have thought that as a "professional beuty show2 that it would be just that!!

I would love to play with Minx - but seen as I have spent the last 6 months getting nowhere I am going to have to put my money on the table and just buy it anyway.

If you're qualified in manicure/enhancements you can attend a free "Minx" training session. Why don't you give that a go?

Latest posts

Back