Who Has A Hamster As A Pet?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs.Clooney

Positive Geek
Reaction score
I am new to keeping a hamster as a pet, although we had guinea pigs as kids and loved them. We got Suzie, a Russian Dwarf Hamster, a few weeks ago, much to my husbands horror but mine and our girls delight, and wondered if any geeks love keeping hamsters as pets?

I am very keen to learn as much as I can about these cute little creatures and wonder if anyone can recommend a good Hamster forum for asking questions and swapping ideas as I am a novice in this area?

We love her very much as she is a sweetie but feisty. They don't live long but we want to make her as happy and as comfortable as possible. I have already read quite a bit about them, but direction to a good forum would be helpful, as well as knowing which Geeks I can refer to if I needed to.

Thanks

Here is our Suzie x

Attachments

• Mrs. Wiffles.JPG
    Mrs. Wiffles.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 50
  • Suzie Peeps.JPG
    Suzie Peeps.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 48
Hi there, we have a hamster called Scratch, she is a one year old Russian Dwarf. Such a sweet girl, very used to being handled by my 3 girls. The only thing is the girls are so good at getting out of the cleaning duties and muggins here gets to do it!!!

Sam x

Hamsters,aw lol,you want any advice Ive had plenty of experience :wink2:.Ive had Russian ,Syrian,Dwarf the lot I also bred some of them,when I had them,10 years ago.
The only disappointing thing is with them they dont live long enough and their nocturnal,which doesnt always make an ideal pet for a young child,and hope you dont mind me saying but Russian hamsters usually live in pairs,so she might appreciate a mate.:wink2:

I still browse round the pet shops now looking at the little hammys,I get so tempted to buy one ,but I have to stop myself ,because I know I wouldnt stop at one,seriously Ive been there before 10 years ago , my whole front room was taken over with hamster cages/tanks. :biggrin: Problem was I got so attached to them,when it was time for them to say goodbye I used to get ssoooooo upset,like it was the family dog.;)

Aw goodluck with her,shes cute.

Last edited:
very cute. wouldn't last long in my household i fear! I would love to have hamsters but they would be bullied relentlessly by the persians.

We have a hamster (called Snitch, otherwise known as Hammy, LOL)...

Most of the time, he stays in the cage in the lounge, where he seems happy enough (even with the occasional cat sitting on top of the cage)... thankfully the hamster cage is (so far) cat proof, unlike one we used to have in the old computer room, where Little M (one of our cats) jumped down from a height and bombed the hamster cage and broke it! Thankfully the poor little hammy survived back then (it was a different hamster back then)...

The only thing is the girls are so good at getting out of the cleaning duties and muggins here gets to do it!!!
Actually the daily tidy and weekly clean, I don't find a chore at all. It's quick and easy do do. Suzie seems to love nesting in old egg boxes, lol.

Sam x
Actually the daily tidy and weekly clean, I don't find a chore at all. It's quick and easy do do. Suzie seems to love nesting in old egg boxes, lol.

Russian hamsters usually live in pairs,so she might appreciate a mate.:wink2:

Aw goodluck with her,shes cute.
Thank you. I was going to get 2 females, but the shop only had one so I had to get her on her own and was advized not to introduce another female later as she would have already become protective of her territory.

We handle her twice a day and I try to change her tank often to create new spaces for her to explore.

My husband thinks I've lost it. His midlife crises has been a Mercedes sports car :grr:. Mine is a hamster :D!

very cute. wouldn't last long in my household i fear! I would love to have hamsters but they would be bullied relentlessly by the persians.

I bought her a sturdy plastic tank rather than a cage simply because we have a cat who is just licking her lips for Hamster Burger :eek:.

The tank is very secure and our daughters are only allowed to handle her with my permission and in my presence. Sounds harsh, but it is the only way I can garantee her safety.

We have a hamster (called Snitch, otherwise known as Hammy, LOL)...

Most of the time, he stays in the cage in the lounge, where he seems happy enough (even with the occasional cat sitting on top of the cage)... thankfully the hamster cage is (so far) cat proof, unlike one we used to have in the old computer room, where Little M (one of our cats) jumped down from a height and bombed the hamster cage and broke it! Thankfully the poor little hammy survived back then (it was a different hamster back then)...
LOL Ruth, how did I know you would say something like this? I think you must live in a zoo with all your pugs, cats and.....hamster :wink2:.

Posted via Mobile Device Hi, I am the proud mummy of a Pearl Winter White Russian Dwarf hamster called Chilly :) because he's a Winter White he's grey in summer and white in winter and he's beautiful! He's such a friendly, chirpy little chap and will let you cuddle him all day long. He even licks my nose like a little kiss :) he's half asleep at the moment and keeps nodding off hehe :) I also got him on his own because he was the last of his litter and I'd absolutely fallen in love with him at first sight!! x

Last edited:
Posted via Mobile Device Hi, I am the proud mummy of a Pearl Winter White Russian Dwarf hamster called Chilly :) because he's a Winter White he's grey in summer and white in winter and he's beautiful! He's such a friendly, chirpy little chap and will let you cuddle him all day long. He even licks my nose like a little kiss :) he's half asleep at the moment and keeps nodding off hehe :) I also got him on his own because he was the last of his litter and I'd absolutely fallen in love with him at first sight!! x

Awwe :hug: sounds delightful any pictures ?

Hi Mrs Clooney, I love Hamsters they make really good pets , we have had some lovely little Hammys
but .... I found it better to tame new Hamsters if they lived in a medium or sized or a basic cage , rather than one of those giant plastic Hammy homes , as we found that if you have to chase them round to catch them before you play with them or cuddle them they can get very scared and put in the mood to nip ,

but ours loved her plastic ball to run around in she would often follow us around everywhere :lol:

also be careful if very young children come around as they can drop them or squish them a bit too hard thinking they are toys ,

other than that have lots of fun with your lovely Hammy as they all have different and funny little personality's,
do take a look at some of these cute Hampsters videos ,
they are so funny when they fill there little pouches we used to put a line of sunflower seeds on the floor and she was like Hammy the hoover,

YouTube - Smoke - The Amazing Hamster Storing Food

YouTube - THE LEGEND of Hamster on a piano and pop corn! 6,9 MILLION VIEWS!

Hamsters are such lovely pets, had them as a child even though we had cats! Ended up getting one for my son a few years back which had babies a week later!!!! Unfortunately she had to go to a friend in the end as one of my cats life long obsession turned into stalking the hamsters 24/7!

Latest posts

Back