Quantcast

Who has their NVQ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karen

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2003
Messages
662
Reaction score
11
Location
Hermosa Beach, California
Hi All,

I'd really appreciate your advice on where I should go from here with my training.

Since February last year my nail training looks like this –

Feb 03 - Essential Nails Home Study / Gel Extensions
Feb 03 - 3 Day College Certificate / Acrylic Extensions
April to June 03 - 21 hours College Certificate / Manicure, Pedicure, Acrylic and Silk
June 03 - 1 Day Product Certificate / Nailtiques
July 03 - 4 Day Product Certificate / Creative Foundation

At the moment I just work on friends and family. Some of them offer me the money to cover my costs, but I am reluctant to charge, as I feel under qualified without an NVQ to my name.

I’m interested in doing an NVQ at a local college. The only thing is it costs over £200 and my boyfriend is reluctant to let me pay out for more training when I am not earning anything from my nails.

The college I am interested in going to has a drop in nail bar and I’m sure it would be a chance to build up my confidence, but I can also understand my boyfriend’s concern about spending yet more money on nail training.

I was thinking of asking a local nail bar if they would consider giving me some work experience on Saturdays but again feel the lack of an NVQ lets me down.

I guess what I’m trying to ask is - are my qualifications enough? Should I apply for the NVQ manicure and pedicure course or should I have the confidence in my skills and qualifications as they are and get some paying customers under my belt first and think about doing my NVQ later.

Are other nail technicians out there working with training other than an NVQ?

I look forward to hearing your views,

Karen
xxx
 

Joined
Feb 20, 2004
Messages
220
Reaction score
5
Location
Jersey Channel Islands
Hi Karen

It seems like you have certainly done some work in progressing further with the Nail Thing!

I have yet to do my NVQ, mainly due to the fact that I want to do the new version which isn't available till September ish. In the meantime I am doing mobile and charging. My work is to a high standard and my clients are very happy with their nails. I am currently opening a salon and plan to do my NVQ as soon as the new one is available. I too did most of my learning through Essential Nails and Calbrook. So my answer to you is don't under rate your work. People will be more than happy to have their nails done so long as you have the confidence to do them. There is nothing stopping you from doing this mobile and then moving on to do your NVQ. The qualifications you have are enough to get yourself insurance in the meantime. So go for it and good luck.
 

Fab Freak

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2003
Messages
3,326
Reaction score
70
Location
Bondsville, West Yorkshire
Karen said:
At the moment I just work on friends and family. Some of them offer me the money to cover my costs, but I am reluctant to charge, as I feel under qualified without an NVQ to my name.
Karen...I trained with on a manufacturers course a year ago and since I passed I have been charging clients. This was well before I completed my VCTC Level 2 Dipolma in Nail Technology (equivalent of an NVQ) and I certainly have not done as many courses as you! You really must charge your clients even if they are friends and family - think that this will help pay for your NVQ! then you win allround, remember you will have to start charging someday so why not now....go for it... :D
 

naturalnails

Legend
Joined
Jan 11, 2003
Messages
15,181
Reaction score
585
Location
Daventry, Northants (UK)
Hi Karen,

as has been said many times - "if you don't put a value on your work then neither will your clients". You must start charging even if just to cover your costs.

To answer your question - I don't have my NVQ either - I have done several manufacturers courses and feel more than adequately qualified to do my job. Don't undervalue the education you have already received by thinking the only qualification is the NVQ.
 

Kellyc

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 16, 2004
Messages
1,308
Reaction score
7
Location
Tunisia but ex Essex Gal!
Hi karen, i too know how you feel im constantly questioning my qualifications even though i have done a gel nail extension course twice!!! anyhow im due to do an acrylic nail course at the end of May but in the meantime have just started working from my spare room and am charging just to help me pay for the products etc as everyone has said there comes a point where you will have to start charging so rather sooner than later. I also used to keep my prices extremely cheap for friends and family because i felt so under qualified but people started to take the biscuit and i have had to stand up for myself so personally i would suggest to start charging as soon as poss x x x
 

emmalouisa

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 27, 2004
Messages
908
Reaction score
4
Location
essex
hi im looking in to doing the creative course i have no experience in nails except for mani and pedi i know it takes alot of practice how much training will i need???
shall i do my vtct in extensions first then practice for a year then do creative??
everyone seems to be doing course after course ??
thanxs:biggrin:
 

naturalnails

Legend
Joined
Jan 11, 2003
Messages
15,181
Reaction score
585
Location
Daventry, Northants (UK)
If you want to do Creative training then go for the foundation course - you will learn everything (and more) that you need in order to get you started.

This is not the type of business where you can do one short course and never anything else. It is very important to keep learning. You should be doing training of some sort at least every year if not more regularly. Training can take many forms - classes, trade shows, seminars, videos etc.
 

Trinity

Brush Slayer Geek
Premium Geek
Joined
Jun 24, 2003
Messages
5,632
Reaction score
3,317
Location
Brighton, East Sussex
thenaillounge said:
I have yet to do my NVQ, mainly due to the fact that I want to do the new version which isn't available till September ish

I'm in the same position as thenaillounge - and waiting for the new NVQ - I'm also working mobile and from home and charging customers :D

You've done lots of learning and it's now time to show your worth - Go for it :D
 

Lily

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 6, 2003
Messages
1,805
Reaction score
35
Location
Normanton, West Yorkshire
Hi there,

You are not under qualified if you don't have an NVQ............it looks like the training you have had so far has been good and informative........you need to be abit more confident with your work and i'm sure you do an excellent job......i'm currently doing my nvq at the moment but i dont feel under qualified and i won't feel more qualified when (or if) i pass.......the nvq i'm doing has'nt cost that much either, i know what you mean about not wanting to spend more money, it's never ending. The nvq i'm doing has so far cost me £50 for the workbook and £35 for an assesment which i'm having at the end of may..so it doesnt cost that much............Be confident and proud of what you and you will go far
Amanda aka Lily
 

chocolate

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 16, 2003
Messages
775
Reaction score
38
Location
Sidcup, Kent
Your creative foundation course is great start, you dont need anything else yet! Loads of techs do not have thier NVq and produce beautiful nails. Go get some experience and confidence. By the way, your airbrushing is fantastic, i know cause i taught you, dont be hard on yourself, you standards are high, so be proud of yourself and think about doing the NVq next year.
 

sequinto

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 14, 2004
Messages
411
Reaction score
1
Location
St Lawrence Bay, Essex
Karen said:
Hi All,

I'd really appreciate your advice on where I should go from here with my training.

Since February last year my nail training looks like this –

Feb 03 - Essential Nails Home Study / Gel Extensions
Feb 03 - 3 Day College Certificate / Acrylic Extensions
April to June 03 - 21 hours College Certificate / Manicure, Pedicure, Acrylic and Silk
June 03 - 1 Day Product Certificate / Nailtiques
July 03 - 4 Day Product Certificate / Creative Foundation

At the moment I just work on friends and family. Some of them offer me the money to cover my costs, but I am reluctant to charge, as I feel under qualified without an NVQ to my name.

I’m interested in doing an NVQ at a local college. The only thing is it costs over £200 and my boyfriend is reluctant to let me pay out for more training when I am not earning anything from my nails.

The college I am interested in going to has a drop in nail bar and I’m sure it would be a chance to build up my confidence, but I can also understand my boyfriend’s concern about spending yet more money on nail training.

I was thinking of asking a local nail bar if they would consider giving me some work experience on Saturdays but again feel the lack of an NVQ lets me down.

I guess what I’m trying to ask is - are my qualifications enough? Should I apply for the NVQ manicure and pedicure course or should I have the confidence in my skills and qualifications as they are and get some paying customers under my belt first and think about doing my NVQ later.

Are other nail technicians out there working with training other than an NVQ?

I look forward to hearing your views,

Karen
xxx
Hi There no your not under qualified
I have diploma in manicure/pedicure got about 3 years ago but i have been trading since then and charging. Done foundation course with creative last year and yes im chargiing clients to do there nails dont under estimate yourself the more clients u do the more confident u will get
Good luck and go for it
 

Mrs Geek

Sweet Heart
Premium Geek
Joined
Jan 11, 2003
Messages
6,709
Reaction score
477
Location
Yorkshire
My Goodness girl - get charging!!! - IMMEDIATELY!! You have spent time and money on all of your training and getting your NVQ will not make you a better tek - it will give you another qualifiaction!! As Lily says - be proud, set to and make yourself a fantastic living!
 

Karen

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2003
Messages
662
Reaction score
11
Location
Hermosa Beach, California
Ooo, Thank you all for taking time to reply!

You have all given me the answer I was hoping for!

Thank you all - funny how just a few words from fellow techs can make you feel a whole heap better about yourself! :D

Thanks again everyone.

Regards,

Karen
 

beck

Arty geek
Joined
Oct 26, 2003
Messages
289
Reaction score
12
Location
Bewdley
Hi there,

I just want to say, as Mrs Geek said, the NVQ isn't a teaching course it's a competency qualification. i have been doing nails for 2 years and worried about charging straight away, but i had no choice as i had paid for courses and needed to get some money back. i have just completed my NVQ and although i am glad i have done it as it IS nationally recognised, it sounds to me like you have already done enough to charge a decent price.
i was really confused at first about the NVQ and wasn't sure i was good enough, but as it turns out i have flown through it with great grades and comments from my models and my assessor, (She has even insisted i put my prices up further!)
So don't worry, don't feel as though you have to do every course, get out there earning some money, have more confidence in yourself, you will be suprised at how much fun you have doing nails!!

Beck
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top