Who is behind the screen?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

izzidoll

Strictly Scottish Geek!
Premium Geek
Reaction score
Something for all of our Geeks to ponder.....

Whilst we use Chit Chat to talk about and discuss all things non-nail related.. I think we need to think and be very, very careful about what it is we are discussing.
Right now there are 132 members logged on....and 481 Guests! There are thousands of members registered on the site, and thousands of them NEVER actually post.
Whilst we hope that most are Industry Professionals we live in a day and age where one can't be too sure.

Personally I think talk of puberty in children, periods etc is best left elsewhere.... you don't know who is reading this stuff and more to the point, you don't know what they are doing whilst reading this stuff.

I just think we need to be prudent and careful about our thoughts concerning our children who may be mortified one day to see what was written about them.
This is the World Wide Web, and once it is out there...it stays out there.

We worry about children being 'groomed' on the Internet and monitor their activities, but it also happens to adults and on any Internet Forum ;) irrespective of the main subject matter.

I am a Moderator not a Censor, and I would much prefer it if you all used some common sense before posting.
So THINK ON Geeks, and thank you for reading and listening!

Well said, I don't post much nowadays, just research for learning purposes but I'm always amazed how openly some of us are on a personal level. I've not read anything about the subjects you mention as would probably skip them anyway.

I am however, very aware of unscrupulous people in this world and would suggest thinking some things through before posting.

Couldnt agree more!!!!!!!!!!!! So many 'weird' people lurk behind the computer screens in the privacy of there own domains and we wonder whos feeding there thoughts sometimes...... hmmmmm.... we all need to think carefully i agree!

The internet is a scary place. I love salom geek its great with lots of great people but like you say who else is seeing what is being said I tend to onky use it for my business. But good point!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

The Internet is amazingly good and amazingly bad all at the same time. I would say real life can be just as bad too. Jamie burgers killer I found out was living near my town, its scary he could have been "the nice man down the road" someone may have asked to watch their kids while they nipped up the supermarket.

After some self defence training I was paranoid with the figures of how many mugging are done by people who look "well to do".

I do worry about people on the Internet sites like Facebook who use their children as their profile picture. Anyone can see your profile picture firstly. And second they can be copied and saved.
Xoxo

The Internet is amazingly good and amazingly bad all at the same time. I would say real life can be just as bad too. Jamie burgers killer I found out was living near my town, its scary he could have been "the nice man down the road" someone may have asked to watch their kids while they nipped up the supermarket.

After some self defence training I was paranoid with the figures of how many mugging are done by people who look "well to do".

I do worry about people on the Internet sites like Facebook who use their children as their profile picture. Anyone can see your profile picture firstly. And second they can be copied and saved.
Xoxo

I agree, I never have and never will put pics of my girlies or me on Internet,

Can never be too careful especially with the location thingy on I phone

on a more serious note, i do agree with the comments regarding children etc, is extremely worrying giving how some peoples lives are lived out over social networking sites and the horrific cases of grooming and cyber bullying xxx

Hurrah!

Also, I find it incredible when people come on here asking for medical advice. Go to the doc or Google!

Not sure if this has been said but the poster could be posing as a female and is getting his kicks from the replies.

Hurrah!

Also, I find it incredible when people come on here asking for medical advice. Go to the doc or Google!

This astounds me too. But please do not Google either, as you will end up with every disease known to mankind and convince yourself that you are dying!

I do agree some topics are a little close to the edge, however as a member of several forums, I've seen there is a way to get around making what "guests" see & what they can't without becoming a member on forums.

Maybe the lovely Salon Geek Mod's can change setting so that only members only are able to access certain parts of SG where non salon talk is permitted ??

Maybe the lovely Salon Geek Mod's can change setting so that only members only are able to access certain parts of SG where non salon talk is permitted ??

That would be a decision to be made by the site administrators but in the meantime, it's probably best to err on the side of caution when it comes to very personal issues, and bear in mind that anyone and everyone could be reading what most would consider to be private and potentially sensitive information.

I never post anything too personal because you never know if one of your clients is reading a post that you have wrote about them !

For this reason , how do you change your name on this? I can't find how to do it anywhere, maybe because I am on the mobile app!

For this reason , how do you change your name on this? I can't find how to do it anywhere, maybe because I am on the mobile app!

Think you need to ask the mods to do it

I honestly think this site should only be opened to qualified people in the industry, i.e email photocopies of our certificates to prove we are actual trade and not someone looking in on our tricks of the trade. So to speak..

I honestly think this site should only be opened to qualified people in the industry, i.e email photocopies of our certificates to prove we are actual trade and not someone looking in on our tricks of the trade. So to speak..

Would be very difficult, anyone can take a photo of some one else's qualifications and use it to get on the site! Although I do agree with you! X

I think I just miss all this..,. I haven't seen too many outrageously personal posts? But then again I skip the threads I don't find interesting or relevant. I do believe as adults we should know what and when to post and use out own intelligence to know what is appropriate and what isn't!

With over 9,000 members all over the world that would be impossible.
We recently have added sections to profiles for everyone to fill out their work experience and qualifications, and by and large it has been ignored, even by the people who keep moaning about non pros on the site ;) including you!

I think I just miss all this..,. I haven't seen too many outrageously personal posts? But then again I skip the threads I don't find interesting or relevant. I do believe as adults we should know what and when to post and use out own intelligence to know what is appropriate and what isn't!

I started this thread in February, and yes it should be down to our own intelligence and common sense, but sadly some people still do like to put personal and intimate details of their life on here.
Examples lately have been about boyfriends complicated love lives, details of self employed staff's earnings....I could go on! Most of it gets cleared up with a PM and then people delete their own posts, but some thing still slip through the net.
Would you believe I have had to delete several posts from this actual thread back in February because it went totally off topic with people's toilet habits :eek:

Common sense is not all that common after all ;)

Latest posts

Back