who should i choose...what would you do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northern Nails

Reaction score
Hi, i need abit of advice and your opinion on a matter.
Having done a handfull of interviews i've shortlisted it down to two people.

Now my dilemma is, the first lady has her NVQ 2 in beauty therapy in 2010 and booked to do her NVQ 3 in September. However she's not qualified in nail enhancements untill she undergoes her level 3 which is a bit of a stinger but not the end of the world because i could concentrate in this area whilst she takes over in the beauty room. She has a little boy and so 16hrs is all she wants. I like her and believe she could do well in the salon.

Now, the second lady also has her NVQ 2 gained in 2005 was renting a room, then working mobile in between jobs in a pharmacy. She has other services she can offer such as Riekki & crystal healling. not that i know much about them to be honest. she's also done a nail extension course last year before under going a CND conversion in May this year. She's also done a nail art course this year too. She's going back to college in September to do her NVQ 3. she's obviously done spray tanning because she did say she has her own solglo tanning machine.

i asked her if 16 hrs was enough and she asked what the pay was. She said that 16hrs is enough because she is going back to college. However, this is my dilemma. is she going to leave me when she's gained her level 3 and set up again on her own. She said she was kind of looking for an apprentiship. Which got me to thinking, is she going to leave when she's got her level 3? And why would someone obviously spend all that money on training on nail courses and then the expense of converting to CND plus the nail art course is she wasn't looking toset up on her own.

I'm a little confused as to what to to. The first lady would be excellent if she had her L&P qualification.

the second lady is excellent, but why spend all that money unless she is planning to go on her own?

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

HELP,xx

Go with your gut instinct! If someone seems to good to be true they probably are and most people who have worked self employed won't stick at being employed afterwards in my experience.

Can you keep someone busy enough with just beauty? Did you trade-test their beauty skills? If you can keep them busy enough with beauty only (obviously they would have done mani/pedi) then i think you should go with whoever you think will fit in best and look at the long term not the short term.

Go with your gut instinct! If someone seems to good to be true they probably are and most people who have worked self employed won't stick at being employed afterwards in my experience.

Can you keep someone busy enough with just beauty? Did you trade-test their beauty skills? If you can keep them busy enough with beauty only (obviously they would have done mani/pedi) then i think you should go with whoever you think will fit in best and look at the long term not the short term.

The first lady would be taking the work load off me as far as the beauty side of things go and leave me to concentrate on nails. Initially they wouldn't be booked solid whcih at the minute they are with just myself. but at least the books are being freed up to allow for expansion of new clientell which is my aim.

The first lady did do a demo, which i was pleased with. However their were a few pointers that could be improved on but by no means major though. The second lady said she didn't have time because she was going to pick some wallpaper with her husband and that interviews normally last 30 mins....:eek: She was supposed to come the next day for a demo but called not long after the interveiw to say she couldn't attend a demo because she had to work. I didn't get back to her because i've been so busy, but more to the point she hasn't gotten back to me to make arrangements for another date.

Personally i wouldn't be impressed that she couldn't do the demo especially if she hasn't got back to you to rearrange. If she was keen she would have sorted out a new date for the trade test by now - maybe give her a call and explain you have someone else waiting on a decision.

If she can't come in and demonstrate within a few days she really isn't that bothered about the job which is worrying.

It sounds to me like you want to go with the first lady so i would go with your instincts. Just make sure you do a trial period first and see how it goes.

I would definitely choose the first lady. And then look at some funding to get her trained in L&P if that's possible?
The second lady sounds like she's in it for herself and as for her interview, that just takes the biscuit and then not turning up to do a demo! If this is how she behaves now, what is she going to be like later? xx

Yeah, my initial thoughts after the interveiws were with the second lady but having slept on it and going back over the interveiw i'm more inclined to go with the first lady i interveiwed. I'm booked back to back for the rest of the week so it wouldn't be possible to fit in a demo and next week i'm training. I'll wait and see over the next few days if she gets backto me otherwise i think i'll go with the first one, references pending.

It's stressful this recruitment thing isn't it? i havn't been able to think about anything else for the last 2 weeks.

Why on earth would you consider someone who would rather pick out wallpaper than do a trade test? You want someone who is interested in proving to you that they want the job and are willing to demonstrate their skills. No brainer to me.:eek:

I have to agree, it's a no brainer. The first lady isn't qualified in nail enhancements, but she is capable of learning so it's only a short term issue. The second lady as already mentioned, considers wallpaper more important that a demo and thinks interviews should only ever be 30 minutes!! Personally, from what you've said, I don't like the sound of this lady's attitude!

If the 2nd lady isn't willing to go out of her way for you at interview stage then I shoulod imagine she isn't going to go out of her way for you if she worked for you!

The first lady sounds like your best bet for long term which is what you need. Have you got any more potential candidates to speak with? :hug:

Whether you go with the first lady or keep looking is up to you but there is no way I would go with the second one, I'm stunned that she actually walked out of a job interview without doing the trade test to pick out wallpaper. She has got her priorities wrong and will not respect you.

The second lady said she didn't have time because she was going to pick some wallpaper with her husband and that interviews normally last 30 mins....:eek: She was supposed to come the next day for a demo but called not long after the interveiw to say she couldn't attend a demo because she had to work. I didn't get back to her because i've been so busy, but more to the point she hasn't gotten back to me to make arrangements for another date.

Personnaly alarm bells would start ringing for me with that one! I've only been working in beauty a few years and still in my first job but I would expect to do a trade test and before I attended the interview I would ask if I was going to be trade tested at the initial interview to allow the time. Surely she can't expect to be getting a job offer just on the strength of her initial interview without the trade test! You have to wonder if she starts working for you if she is going to be really flakey and making excuses saying she can't work or has to leave early cause she has to go and pick out a new sofa or something!

With regards to her going it alone I wouldn't worry too much about that one because I think the same could be said for most people. Out of about 15 women at my work about 10 of us do work for ourselves also so I think that is expected in this industry.

Just an update. I offered the job to the first lady i mentioned however, she called me the next day to say that she won't be able to take the job because the 16hrs would be over 3 days and she is unable to do that :irked:

so i was back to square one. anyways i've now found someone starting tomorrow. She is qualified to level 3 the only downside is that she is 18 and could leave if a full-time position came up elsewhere. anyways this is a chance i'm taking.

Thanks for all ya replies, they were a great help

Debbie,x

Latest posts

Back