Who's a Mobile Nail Tech?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bellabeautie

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am thinking of going mobile now, after suddenly ending my time renting a room in a local hair dressers (long story!)

I have some questions for all you mobile techs....

1. Do you have a portable table or do you rely on customers having tables (or ironing boards!:lol:)?
2. What Pedicure bowl do you all use? (I have been looking at the Footsies) I dont think my regular standard pedicure bowl will do the job.
3. How do you get around doing Paraffin Wax treatments or do you just not do them?
4. What do you carry all your equipment in? And for polishes?
5. Do you use an extractor fan and what about ventilation when doing l&p?
6. Do you take your own towels or ask clients to provide them?
7. Whats been or being your best form of advertising? As unlike a salon, you havent got passing trade. Newspaper ad?Internet?Delivering leaflets?
8. Is there anything you would advise or say to someone starting out as mobile? Is there anything you could recommend to do or not to do?
9. Do you just provide nails or do you provide another service (ie:waxing
/spray tanning etc...)

Thanks geeks xxxxx

Hi I rarely do mobile now just a handfull of mainly basic manicures on elderly ladies, but when I did when a client rang to book (I only advertised in a local paper once the rest has been word of mouth and each client you see give 5 price lists to and ask them to give them to relatives & friends)

I would ask them if they had a suitable table with chairs to work on if not I took a fold up mobile mani table & stool.
I took my normal spa pedi bowl.
I didnt offer paraffin wax on a mobile basis, offer foot mask instead.
I have a large trolly/case and small holdall which holds all the relevent equipment.
I have a portable fuminator (NSI) which TBH is no better than a window open slighly or if working in the kitchen I would ask the client to put on the cooker extractor for the smell.
I always take my own sufficient towels.
I can only say that it is a must that you manage your routes, areas and therefore your time strictly or you could end up running all over the place and doubling back and so forth (it is a pain in the backside) stick to certain days for areas and dont deviate (except for a large party booking:)).
Make all your booking/cancellation polocies clear from the start and dont relent on them.
I never do waxing mobile it is too much faffing around for me waiting for wax and hard on your back setting up couches etc (for me anyway).
I offer all nail treatments/pedicure`s & tanning,

HTH. xxx

Hi,

Whilst I was looking for a shop I had a room at home I used and done mobile. This is what I done!

1, I used clients tables/iorning boards (I would buy a mani table if perm mobile)
2, I use a footspa
3, I use CND spa products
4, I had seperate boxes for mani/pedi products so I only took if needed and my Nail enhancement things with all tools and varnish in another box. (you can get 3 layer cases that seperate)
5,No (always asked to open window/door whilst working with chemicals)
6,yes always used my own towels
7,Facebook group and leaflets to mums at school, local shops ect and you already have your client details from working in shop!
8, I found that it takes longer! clients say things like ' don't mind if I put that load of washing on, do you?'....YES!! I have another appointment after you! be firm about your time!
9,Nails and hair

Goodluck, hope it all works out for you:)

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I am thinking of going mobile now, after suddenly ending my time renting a room in a local hair dressers (long story!)

I have some questions for all you mobile techs....

1. Do you have a portable table or do you rely on customers having tables (or ironing boards!:lol:)? Most customers have tables although i do have a portable one just in case. i always ask when booking appointments.
2. What Pedicure bowl do you all use? (I have been looking at the Footsies) I dont think my regular standard pedicure bowl will do the job.
3. How do you get around doing Paraffin Wax treatments or do you just not do them? Too messy when mobile. Heated mitts / booties are a great altenative
4. What do you carry all your equipment in? And for polishes? i have a 2 tier trolley. top for manicure/nail enhancements bottom for pedicure. reemovable middle box for enamels5. Do you use an extractor fan and what about ventilation when doing l&p? If i am only doing one client then no. Always ensure you wear a mask6. Do you take your own towels or ask clients to provide them? I take my own
7. Whats been or being your best form of advertising? As unlike a salon, you havent got passing trade. Newspaper ad?Internet?Delivering leaflets? word of mouth8. Is there anything you would advise or say to someone starting out as mobile? Is there anything you could recommend to do or not to do? Yes don't think that just because you are mobile you should be any cheaper than a salon!!
9. Do you just provide nails or do you provide another service (ie:waxing
/spray tanning etc...) i offer all nail systems, mani, pedi, waxing, facials, massage, spray tanning and minx

Thanks geeks xxxxx

Hth x x x

Hi hun,

cant give you too much advice, but get yourself a face book page and plug on that also a free website for information, pass out business cards and leave them where ever you can, you will find word of mouth will help alot, so just be great at what you do, if you get a site up and running let me know as i will link to it for you,

best of luck with all adell

Latest posts

Back