Who's responsible, me or the landlord?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is such a terrible situation. The fact that she is saying she fell from the top is obviously a lie if she really fell 2-3 stairs, but unless there were other witnesses in the salon at the time, it will be her word against yours. For every 10 people that get injured, I'd say 2 of them are ACTUALLY, REALLY hurt. The rest just see an opportunity for money.

But I did want to mention that just because she got her spray tan or whatever after the fall, doesn't necessarily mean she wasn't injured.

When I fell on black ice and hurt my back/neck/arm in 2010, I still went inside and did my massage for my client as I was in total shock. The back injury from that turned into me losing all lower body function 5 months later, being hospitalized, losing my job and being on bed rest for a month. I'm not saying she's telling the truth, but just keep in mind that she honestly could be hurt, albeit a tiny bit.

In any case, I highly doubt that the stairs were too steep. It was probably because she just had her head up her ass and wasn't paying attention to where she was walking. Unfortunately you can't really tell that to people haha :lick:

Oh stop I know! There's 2 handrails and she wasnt holding on to either of them! I've hurt myself way more and never sued, I could be loaded by this stage! Tainted money though I think.x

Hi Suzanne sorry to hear this, hope you are feeling a little less troubled about this situation. This very good advice you have from our geeks and , this has really made me think about the room that I rent in a therapy clinic in the floor upstairs. Our stars our very steep we have no sign and no handrails. wow i will look into this and speak to the landlord. It sounds to me that you have done everything professionally. I would ring your insurance up but I feel you will be okay in the end. How would you feel if she wants to come back to your room in the salon. Take care and dont stress to much about this. X

Ha no I wont be offering her services anymore, no one needs a trouble maker! Mind you I will remove her Shellac that I put on but thats it. She might not even want to come back as shes too embarassed!

Hopefully when she has time to think about it she'll leave it. The guy from insurance is coming out now to have a look at the stairs and see whos fault it is. I'll keep you all posted!xxx

The insurance guy came in and had a look. For the steepness of the stairs, the law is that I have one handrail, I have two so that's in my favour. The floor is in good condition so there was nothing for her to trip over so that's in my favour. I have two signs which I don't need to have, so that's in my favour. With all that being in my favour he did say it depends on the judges mood on the day etc but 90% I'm going to be ok. Also, he said it's my landlord's responsibility IF she does get anything. So big big relief, I can stop panicing! :D

He also told me that people are trying to claim for rediculous things. One person got a splinter from a shop and tried to sue. What the hell?? People want something for nothing and it's really not fair. I don't know how people have the heart to do things like this. I'm slowly loosing faith in the good in people :rolleyes:

Hiya! Glad to read that things are looking up! :)

There's a big onus on the claim society and stories that go around about peeps getting pay outs for little things, but in reality very few of these claims get through, it needs to be substantiated and this lady's claim does not sound so.

Of course this would worry you though, I would've been absolutely the same. Glad things got moving along now and you can start to relax a bit xx

Ok so an update... She poped by today, all smiles, when I was in the middle of a manicure. She said she wanted to talk to me for a minute. My manicure client is a lovely very loyal client so she said 'go on talk to her, Im in no rush'. So I went out and asked how can I help you there. Here's the conversation...

Her...'I've just been to the optician and he said its going to cost €450 to replace my glasses, here I have a receipt'

Me...'Your glasses?'

Her...'Yes, they got bend out of shape from the fall'

Me...'No they didnt, sure I was carrying your bag with your glasses in it!'

Her...'No I was carrying my bag and they got damaged'

She went to hand me the receipt and I said..

'Well hold on to any receipts as the insurance will need them, not me. Anyway its nothing to do with me, its the landlord, and hes a solicitor himself'...

Well, her face dropped when I said that. She asked for his name and I wrote it down for her. When she goes home and googles it she'll see he owns his own firm.

Then off she went. I sat back down to my client who heard everything and said she knows her. She said everyone in the area knows of this woman as shes always trying to do things like this, she said she always seen her fall in the gym and trying to claim. She doesnt know if she ever went through with it.

But I think she was looking for me to offer her something to stay out of court. Why else would she come in unannounced and try to show me a receipt??

Lol well done you! Silly woman, what a cheek, good job you had your wits about you, bent glasses! xx

Lol well done you! Silly woman, what a cheek, good job you had your wits about you, bent glasses! xx

Oh I know, nothing suprises me anymore! It doesnt cost €450 for the frame to be fixed! Mine do it for free for me cause Im always sitting on them by mistake :o

PAHAHA oh my god, what a joker. it was an accidental fall??? if i fell over in a shop or salon i'd quickly get up giggle and apologise, not threaten to sue, i cant stand people who straight away get up and say 'i'm going to sue!' how about you get a life?? my friend works in tesco and someone fell over in the carpark (which isnt actually owned by tesco) this woman went storming in and started screaming at my friend saying she was going to sue tesco because she fell over... what is wrong with people know a days? a kid gets hit in the face at school with a conker and the parent sues, someone walks into a lamp post and they sue the council, a child falls off a swing at a playground and the parents sue.. do people not have dignity anymore??? there are people fighting for our country getting their legs and arms blown off and someones going to sue for a bruised bottom?? maybe she needs a new car or can't afford a holiday this year and sees this as an easy way to get a pay out. people like that should hang their head in shame.

Well done on remaining calm. In England we have an advertisement with the saying "should have gone to Specsavers" not sure if you have seen the add.

WELL

If she couldn't see the steps before she fell, then she should definately go to them

AND

If they cost that much to repair, she should go to Specsavers as they would be cheaper new and she get a pair free.

Cheek of the woman and all the stress she put you through and by the sounds of it many others shops and stores.

This claim culture has got to stop, people should be blacklisted if they try to claim more than once, whether they fail or succeed.

sorry that was why i was commenting and then i went off on one haha, well done for staying calm :D

This really burns my biscuits! Silly cow falls down the stairs and wants to sue YOU?! Wants you to pay for her glasses?! Really?

This is rampant in the U.S. I see it's made its way across the pond.

I'm embroiled in a suit right now over some petty bull sh*t and I'd love to punch the cowardly b*stard in the throat if I could get my hands on him.

what in the h*ll type of glasses does she have that cost that much to fix?!?! my mum used to have one of the most difficult prescriptions according to her optician, wore designer frames and they were about 350-400 new!!!!
what a silly woman. i agree i think she was hoping you would just open the till and give her the money!!!! nugget.
glad to see you keeping so calm, not sure if i could! :)

PAHAHA oh my god, what a joker. it was an accidental fall??? if i fell over in a shop or salon i'd quickly get up giggle and apologise, not threaten to sue, i cant stand people who straight away get up and say 'i'm going to sue!' how about you get a life?? my friend works in tesco and someone fell over in the carpark (which isnt actually owned by tesco) this woman went storming in and started screaming at my friend saying she was going to sue tesco because she fell over... what is wrong with people know a days? a kid gets hit in the face at school with a conker and the parent sues, someone walks into a lamp post and they sue the council, a child falls off a swing at a playground and the parents sue.. do people not have dignity anymore??? there are people fighting for our country getting their legs and arms blown off and someones going to sue for a bruised bottom?? maybe she needs a new car or can't afford a holiday this year and sees this as an easy way to get a pay out. people like that should hang their head in shame.

Hahaha, you had me in stitches laughing! It's so true though, in a few years we'll all be wrapped up in bubble wrap to go outdoors! I could have some serious money if I sued for things that I done in the past! Some people just want something for nothing, I personally prefer working for what I want but I guess wer not all the same!xx

Well I wouldn't say I'm calm but I'm just going to go with the flow and try not to think too much about it!

Gr8nails, I know what you mean, I would love to settle it myself lol. It has made it's way over here only in the last couple of years. People are getting small bumps in their cars and being brought off in stretchers :(

She probably has an optician in the family that got her a phoney receipt lol stupid woman, she wont try that again with you will she haha!!! X

The guy from my insurance just phoned to tell me that he phoned her to get her statement of what happened and she said that I was carrying her bag and coat behind her. Her glasses were in the bag (as she only needs them for reading) and the best part about it is he was recording the whole conversation! He didn't tell her that though because he said he doesnt want her careful as she might catch herself out with more!

So its all looking pretty good now! :D

Latest posts

Back