why am i so rubbish at spray tans?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kadie

Reaction score
i have probs getting my spray tans right. i have probs with hands, back of wrists and feet. does anyone have any tips for me? i also find that my spray tan machine is making the solution spit and go on blotchy. is bad machine partly to blame for a bad spray tan? i have a sun junkie machine BTW.

i have probs getting my spray tans right. i have probs with hands, back of wrists and feet. does anyone have any tips for me? i also find that my spray tan machine is making the solution spit and go on blotchy. is bad machine partly to blame for a bad spray tan? i have a sun junkie machine BTW.

which make are u using.. i leant st tropez spray tan recently. Are you moisturising the hands and feet before spraying? we spray hands and feet last with 2 strokes. when doing the arms are u making sure u spray off just before the wrists and that they have palms away from spray? are you cleaning nozzle? we had to spray away from the body first to make sure it sprayed ok and had to run water though the nozzle at the end to make sure it was clean. hth's xx:hug:

Yeh hands must be moisturised before and after treatment. Think of how you tan naturally. Light on inside of arms and its lighter on hands and feet. Make sure these areas have only a light controlled amount of spray to them.

Make sure your clients arms are out of the way when spraying the rest of the body. I use towelling mits to rub/pat off the moisturiser on hands & feet. If you go to the spray tan cubicle company they have some great tips on tanning.

Hi hun, what training have you done for spray tanning? - you didn't say. What do you use - is it a compressor or an HVLP system and what is the spray gun like on it? x

You can choose to either lightly moisturise hands and feet before spraying or you can follow some of the tips already given. Also try blending in around the wrist area after you've finished the whole body. Do you regularly clean your gun through with water at the end of each day? Are you using the Sunjunkie machine that looks like a little pig? If so, as far as I am aware there are no filters to be cleaned. So its down either to a clog in the gun or perhaps you havent set the gun up properly as far as flow is concerned. HTH
Liz

Hiya

If your tan machine is spitting ..then try flushing it out with warm water.

Tan the body

Neck and Back first (overlap brush strokes half and half) in sweeping movements

then turn your client side on..spray the arm circuling around the bended elbow
light brush over hands then light over again this time with clients fingers in spider shape open..then the other arm include a cicular spray on the arm pits and shoulders

Sides should be done a little darker(soft skin parts like Belly back buttocks can take the tan better) these areas are softer skin and take better than dry areas such as feet hands elbows.

Remember legs need more and feet need less(feet will collect alot of over spray and this is enough with one light spray over

belly and chest area can be a little darker (keep the spray light sweeps all times or you will have runs)

On the buttocks ask client to bend knees(so you can spray those little white patches that wink when they walk

Job done( let them dry for a while) offer a cup of coffee a magazine robe etc..or simply leave them in the tan room if it's warm for 5mins b4 they get dressed advise after care.
Good Luck
Jenx

thanks for all your help guys. i have the HVLP machine from sun junkie (yes the one like a little pig...lol) i trained with them. the gun was one that came with it but i can't take it apart! i think it might be worth getting some more training. wat do you think?

How long have you had your machine? The only thing I can think off (I use this machine) if you have already tried flushing your gun thru is that the seal has gone. I would contact Sunjunkie whom you bought the machine off and ask for help. Check the seals are in place properly, they should fit perfectly. The only time I've had a problem with this machine was when the client discovered she had a piece of packing material stuck inside her gun. Similar problems to yours actually! HTH :lol:

Hi Kadie,Do you have the machine on the correct speed?. Also is it sunjunkie solution you are using through it?.
Regards
Mark

Is your air pipe straight, if there is a big bend in it this affects the air flow and that is what forces the spray out of the machine. If the pipe is bent if will stop air getting through and thus no solution comes out, then once the air flow is getting back to normal you get the spitting. If your machine stops spraying don't carry on spraying onto the body use a piece of bed roll/kitchen roll to spray onto until the spitting has finished.

Hi I use the Sun junkie system too & have never had a problem with hands or feet, I hold the gun further away when I get to those areas & spray the tan on in a quick light spray. With regards to the spitting, are you cleaning your gun out after each spray the sun junkie cleaning soloution.

hi
maybe you a being a little hard on yourself by saying that you are rubbish at spray tans. I think that you just need a bit more practice and you will be fine.also if you are getting a bit nervous and wound up about it then this will have an effect on the finished result. just relax and take your time and i bet you will be great before you know it!

Latest posts

Back