Why are acrylic nails and gel so cheap?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lgrah123

Reaction score
I started my mobile beauty business a couple of months ago and finding that on Facebook in particular, there are a lot of people charging £13-£15 per set! My prices are £30 for acrylics, £20 for infills And £7 extra for gels. I'm using The Manicure Company's products and finding I'm getting busier but I can't seem to get past clients expecting me to lower my prices?? How do people charge so little and still seem to make a living? Are my prices too high??

Hi,

No advice but am following as am wanting to start my own mobile business once qualified and have also noticed this on Facebook!

Rhi x

Hehe, sounds like your typical competitor. They charge lower prices but do more work while taking shortcuts at the same time. Amazing right?

Last edited:
Hehe, sounds like your typical competitor. They charge lower prices but do more work while taking shortcuts at the same time. Amazing right? Eventually, they will raise their prices.
Is this what I should be doing?? Or are they mostly using cheap products?

Who on earth would do a full set for such a cheap price? That's ridiculous. DO NOT DO THAT. Charge what you're worth.

A lot
Who on earth would do a full set for such a cheap price? That's ridiculous. DO NOT DO THAT. Charge what you're worth.
A lot people on Facebook charge that.. so when people see my prices, they are almost taken a back that they pay a similar price to that of a salon. But for some reason still think the service should be cheaper. But it's not just the product use, it's petrol costs, my pay, my product use, my time.. I just don't get why they do. It's frustrating!

Well if you charge cheaper prices you'll have to do twice as many clients, and make twice as much small talk (my least favourite part about my job) So stick with quality people who want quality service and will pay what you're worth. Do little things that others don't that will make you stand out, but that don't cost much - maybe a short shoulder massage during gel/extension removal, or hand an arm massage after nails are done, or...? Make sure you''re done up and always professional (I find lots of people charging cheaper prices are also sloppy in their appearance).

Well if you charge cheaper prices you'll have to do twice as many clients, and make twice as much small talk (my least favourite part about my job) So stick with quality people who want quality service and will pay what you're worth. Do little things that others don't that will make you stand out, but that don't cost much - maybe a short shoulder massage during gel/extension removal, or hand an arm massage after nails are done, or...? Make sure you''re done up and always professional (I find lots of people charging cheaper prices are also sloppy in their appearance).
Really great ideas.. Thank you!

Really great ideas.. Thank you!

Truly my pleasure! Couple more: bring a small selection of teas (I find clients who love tea enjoy trying something they'd never think of buying!) and a couple different scents of lotions rather than just one (not sure what you have already, but, I find clients love choices!) Something floral, something citrus, something unscented. Covers your bases!

Wow! Can you just make yourself miniature so you can come with me to my appointments and keep giving me these amazing tips?!
I'm going to try all of that. Also I'm using kaeso too so will try introducing other scents. Thank you x

The two salons closest to me have recently started doing gel polish nails for only £10. I charge £24 for a basic set and I'm busy.
I find it really depressing that qualified therapists are actually pricing themselves at this level.
If the photos on their FB pages are to go by, then their work looks good.

Surely if they researched all the salons in my area when starting up, they would see that the rest of us in the area are all charging £24 plus for a set.
Why then pitch so low???
I would understand undercutting by two or three quid, but £10 ??? That's ridiculous.

I keep reminding myself that my clients are loyal and keep re-booking but how much longer will that continue for if this becomes the norm???

Yours, feeling sad about it all
:(

It's not only happening in the nail industry - hairdressing has really taken a hit too with these lower than low pricing deals!
Not wanting to be the voice of doom (again...! ) but we've given the public a 'cheap fix' - and now they're addict's! o_O

The two salons closest to me have recently started doing gel polish nails for only £10. I charge £24 for a basic set and I'm busy.
I find it really depressing that qualified therapists are actually pricing themselves at this level.

Surely if they researched all the salons in my area when starting up, they would see that the rest of us in the area are all charging £24 plus for a set.
Why then pitch so low???
I would understand undercutting by two or three quid, but £10 ??? That's ridiculous.

I keep reminding myself that my clients are loyal and keep re-booking but how much longer will that continue for if this becomes the norm???

I charge £20 for a basic set of gel.. now wondering if I should charge more.. But I do nail art for £2-£5 extra.. It's depressing trying to find "middle ground" prices. A lot of the work is okay but you can clearly see where they've left gaps too wide between the cuticle and plate, edges haven't been capped, cuticles aren't neat.. It's frustrating.

It's not only happening in the nail industry - hairdressing has really taken a hit too with these lower than low pricing deals!
Not wanting to be the voice of doom (again...! ) but we've given the public a 'cheap fix' - and now they're addict's! o_O
That's crazy! Didn't realise it was the hairdressing industry too!

I don’t charge as much as busy salons for my nails however I’m usually fully booked and have been for a while.
I’m more expensive than many in my area and I’ll be honest and say I don’t even offer clients a drink when they arrive.
If you offer a good service and clients feel comfortable and enjoy the appointment they’ll come back.
If you know you’re providing a good quality service then don’t reduce your prices or try to compete with offers etc.
I’m put off by really cheap offers as I know they can’t be making a living from it.

Hopefully a really cheap price would make discerning clients wary. I imagine £10 sets attract customers you would rather not have.
I've considered this problem myself and opted to offer premium products and services that the ten quid mob can't access without training and investment.
I also spent time researching prices in my locality for mobile, home based and salon and set my prices at the average.
I think it takes longer to build a client base but you will have a good client base.

Truly my pleasure! Couple more: bring a small selection of teas (I find clients who love tea enjoy trying something they'd never think of buying!) and a couple different scents of lotions rather than just one (not sure what you have already, but, I find clients love choices!) Something floral, something citrus, something unscented. Covers your bases!
I'd avoid providing drinks when filing gel or acrylic product because of the dust settling in their drinks. Ingestion of dust would eventually lead to allergy problems with the product that you use.

Why then pitch so low???

Is that just a dry manicure and gel polish? Not a full spa manicure?
I’m just doing friends and family at the moment so not charging them my full price as I have no idea what to price it at, as a beginner that is!

Is that just a dry manicure and gel polish? Not a full spa manicure?
I’m just doing friends and family at the moment so not charging them my full price as I have no idea what to price it at, as a beginner that is!

Her price list just says "file & gel polish £10" - no details. No info on any removal costs either anywhere.
Her introductory 10% off offer has now finished so it is now £10 rather than the £9 she started charging.
The photos of her work look good so I can't criticise anything there.

Her price list just says "file & gel polish £10" - no details. No info on any removal costs either anywhere.
Her introductory 10% off offer has now finished so it is now £10 rather than the £9 she started charging.
The photos of her work look good so I can't criticise anything there.

I just wonder how anyone makes money charging so little for their time and effort. Especially when you know your work is good too!
I suppose it’s that feeling of not wanting to take the pee. I know I feel that way, and I have a lonnngggggg way to go [emoji23]

Thanks for your reply. I’m sure she’s very good at what she does! Self confidence is key here [emoji5]

Latest posts

Back