Why are some gel nails on some of my clients going dull?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi lovelies , I'd really appreciate your help . I've googled and googled but can't come up with the reason . Why are some of my clients getting an odd nail where once I've taken the sticky residue off it then just dulls up straight away ? What am I doing wrong and what I can do to sort it ? I use Gellish products and a very good quality led lamp .
Thanks so much for your help xx

How long do you wait before cleansing the dispertion layer?

Is it the same fingers each time?

Some brands require a short 'cooling down' period before removing the sticky layer, not long 15/20 seconds or so.

If it's the same fingers each time I'd say your lamp is not curing sufficiently

Last edited:
Oh that's interesting , I do wipe straight away ! :-/ I will try leaving it. Thanks so much . So should I try curing for twice the time for top coat? I do 30 seconds on a 48watt lamp

Oh that's interesting , I do wipe straight away ! :-/ I will try leaving it. Thanks so much . So should I try curing for twice the time for top coat? I do 30 seconds on a 48watt lamp

As a pro I would recommend using the lamp specific to the brand you use, they will have been formulated to work together. With a generic lamp you can never ensure a full cure, this can lead to all sorts of product breakdown issues, quite apart from the potential of exposing your clients to over-exposure and allergy risks.

When I did my course (Gellux) we were told that you can't over cure, so when doing darker colours cure first coat 30 secs, second 60 secs and top 90 secs.

That is interesting about allowing for cooling off.

Ok great, thanks loads for the advice !! :) xx

On a side note, I was advised to use separate lint wipes for each finger when cleansing the tacky layer. Because as you wipe one, then move to the other, the residue, just taken off the first nail, can then be transferred to the new one as you wipe that, thus causing a dulling effect.
I know using a fresh wipe each time is annoying, so I tend to wipe, then flip the wipe over and use the other side for the next nail.
Could be another reason for it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Please ignore that email address!! Frigging autocorrect!! And my phone won't let me edit my post haha!

Moderator note: I've removed it for you

On a side note, I was advised to use separate lint wipes for each finger when cleansing the tacky layer. Because as you wipe one, then move to the other, the residue, just taken off the first nail, can then be transferred to the new one as you wipe that, thus causing a dulling effect.
I know using a fresh wipe each time is annoying, so I tend to wipe, then flip the wipe over and use the other side for the next nail.
Could be another reason for it?

I'vs never heard that before, not suffered any transfer of sticky layer either.

I use one wipe for all 10 fingers, but i do rotate it a bit for every other finger. Wipes are a cheap disposable but im not planning to use 10 times as many on each set

If I use the same wipe for 10 nails the 2nd hand is still sticky. I use one for each hand and flip them over too

Oh interesting! Thanks again . I feel like I have a few things to try now ! Thankyou x

I find cotton wool/pads gives a better shine. But that's just personal preference.

Also apparently using too much of of your cleansing product when wiping the tacky layer can cause dullness. x

Latest posts

Back