Why are you here?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pure

Reaction score
Ok guys and gals - thought I'd start a thread to find out why we all use this wonderful site known as Salon Geek :)

Do you run a business, ie salon, mobile, employee or employer, only family and friends or only yourself?
Are you thinking about joining the industry.
How did you find out about SG?
What do you expect from it?
How has it helped you?
Do you feel more connected to the industry as a whole than you did before?
And anything else :)

I want to stress that this is NOT about one day courses, who's better than who etc :!:

Ok guys and gals - thought I'd start a thread to find out why we all use this wonderful site known as Salon Geek :)

Do you run a business, ie salon, mobile, employee or employer, only family and friends or only yourself?
Are you thinking about joining the industry.
How did you find out about SG?
What do you expect from it?
How has it helped you?
Do you feel more connected to the industry as a whole than you did before?
And anything else :)

I want to stress that this is NOT about one day courses, who's better than who etc :!:

Why am I here you ask.
Its simple...im bored and this place is full of lovely women and for a change its nice to tell you lot what to do rather than the other way round which is usual in my home ...what more could a man want :wink2::lick::lol::lol::lol::lol::hug:

Im on here as my friend i did a nail course with told me about it so joined as she kept saying it was great for info, tips ect, I have leart so much and the best thing is my nail prep, had good advice as was having trouble with nails lifting.
I also find it nice to chat to others as some know someone or have themselves medical problems i have, ME &HRT problems so getting other advice and trying to maybe give advice is great.
Im just about to do my nails and just popped on to look at a thread about prep, to be honest ive had more support off here then my tutor i done my nail course with:biggrin:xx

i am on here as i am housebound with my son who has m.e so started working from home, its great to get advice and make friends (lila being one of those friends!)

i dont think you can ever stop learning in this industry and again have learnt so much more on here than from some of the courses i have been on xx

I am here because I started thinking about learning about nails again and doing something with it this time.

I lurked for ages, just getting a feel for the industry as part of my research. I stuck around because it's full of fantastic advice and support. :biggrin:

Oh I forgot to add, I have made a nail room at home. So that's where I work from.

Last edited:
I'm here because my teacher told us about sg whilst doing my acrylic course, I work from home, I have 2 young kids, its full of nice ladies and I have picked up loads of tips and hints so far, can find an answer to nearly any question I have, xx

I am self employed and work from home. I came back into nails last year when trying to think of something I could do work wise when my son started full time school. Through chatting with a friend, she suggested I got back into my nails and beauty again and that conversation spiralled into my husband thinking it was a great idea and built me a summerhouse to work from :D (in a nutshell!)

I found SG via a friend who told me about it but I had also seen it come up when I was doing searches for certain things. I lurked for a little while (all of 10 mins :D ) and then joined up.

This site is giving me confidence and is teaching me way more than my tutors ever did in my training. I find all the topics to be a source of great knowledge and support as well as some LOL ones to cheer me up and reveal my silly side. I have also made a few good friends from it too. :hug:

I enjoy "talking" 2 others in the beauty industry, I come here for great advice and support and a friendly environment

Simples! :)

I read about the site in GMG's column in Scratch magazine many, many years ago when it was just nail geek.

I was working in a salon and, though it was the self-proclaimed premier salon in the area, I knew there was more to nails - much more training and learning to do. So I signed up here and subsequently began my journey with CND.

I love it because now that I work alone, it means I can keep up-to-date with new trends/products. And also because I can talk to like-minded geeks! :D

i have a salon and trained in 1990. i have been self employed since 1992.
i do all the usual beauty treatments and piddled around with gels and l&p since day 1. i think my first nail extension cert apart from my itec, cibtac and cidesco is 1992.:eek:
i kept trying to do extensions , i'd do a course, try doing them again,get sick of them. hang up my brushes. take them down again. etc . this went on for years then last year i said 'right that's it 'i had heaps of gel/l&p product just gathering dust. i found Greg doing reverse application on youtube and that just lit a fuse under my butt.
i then discovered SG and learned a lot to help fine tune my application/resolve problems etc trawling through the archives and getting involved in posts.
i have to say there are some great brains on here , ready and willing to be 'picked'. i just wish i had discovered SG years ago because it has been very helpful to me .
the other great thing for me is it is an education to read other people's opinions/ideas. it really has broadened my way of thinking which is a good thing. i also enjoy the camaraderie with other geeks. so thanks to Samuel Sweet for giving us Salon Geek.

Im 7wks away from qualifying as a nail tech, found SG while googling a question and ive been here since! Love it for little hints and tips or sometimes just someone elses perspective. I love being able to talk to people with the same passion for this industry, believe it or not my OH and 2 sons dont care haha

Sent from my GT-I5500 using SalonGeek

Though I've been a nail pro since 1998, I found SG after googling the affect acetone had on nails after soaking...because of Shellac. I had never heard of SG but once I started looking around the site, I was hooked.

Even though I'd been in the industry for a long time, I've learned so much since I've been here. It's wonderful to talk to other professionals in the business to brainstorm, share ideas and information, new and different ways of doing things...it's been so enlightening.

I've also made some great friendships here.

I'm on SG because I want to learn as much as I can to be the best that I possibly can and I like to return the favour if/when possible to others.

I found SG from another nail tech. We used to trade off services and she asked if I had heard of SG and that I should join as it's the best group of people to get info/advice from. Now I tell all I can about this wonderful site! ;)

I am here because I am a mobile beauty therapist and I love picking up new tips and leaning from other peoples experiances

I'm here because as my tutor said it was an excellent place for info but addictive - true.
I have a full time job in the public sector but always had an interest in nails/beauty... I booked a nail course and waiting to do eye/brow tinting and spray tan...
I will do beauty on the side as I love it!

On this site I have discussed personal stuff via pm's with others in similar situations and try n help if I can

Love to chat bout most things but getting invaluable opinions and guidance from the experts too x

I'm here as I kept googling in my early days, and this salon geek kept coming up! So for years I was just a lurker and didn't even register! Then as I got better at my job I kept noticing things that I could help others with and didn't feel daft asking questions !!

The reason I stay and look at all day on my phone??

Huge variety if opinions, advice and personalities on the site!! The respect for the great geeks and the urge to help the newbie geeks who are just starting out!!

I love that although ive come across most things that even if something did come up I can tap out a question on my phone and there is always an answer!!

I work alone, from home, and you are all my workmates :hug::hug:

Without you lot I'd feel so lonely, I don't know any other nail techs:cry:

But I can ask anything if I need to and I love sharing my experiences too. To think when I started as a tech I didn't have a computer in my house and had to start up and get through the first few years completely on my own :eek: Don't know how I did it lol

What a cool thread! I also found sg through googling and my god how addictive!! My oh moans i'm always 'on that salon thing' lol.
Love it. Excellent advice, have learnt tons, as a newbie i have found it inspiring a bunch of lovely ladies ( and gents ) lol.
Thanks all :0) xx

I can't remember how I found SG, but I am SO glad I did! I too work from home in my little beauty room & it gets lonely when you work by yourself!! If I have a question or need some advice, you are all here to help me & likewise I will do my best for you.....:)

I'm here because my teacher told us about sg whilst doing my acrylic course, I work from home, I have 2 young kids, its full of nice ladies and I have picked up loads of tips and hints so far, can find an answer to nearly any question I have, xx

I have the same reason as you but I'm mobile.

Latest posts

Back