Why bite nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welshmammy

Reaction score
You wouldn't believe how many nail biters I get, probably about 70% of my work comes from biters. I must confess I am an intermitent nail biter/skin nibbler. I asked my mother, when did I started biting my nails? She told me it was literally as soon as my teeth came through when I was a baby. I suppose it was comforting when teething. The problem I have is, when I put my mind to it I can grow them long and the nails re-attach to the nail beds really well, but as soon as I break one, I automatically nibble without realising I am doing it. On several occasions as child I was taken to casualty with an infected finger due to nail biting, I bit them down to the quick. I am also a trained Stenographer and while working in Court I had to keep them short, if they were long they would slip on the keys. I haven't done any Court work for a few years now and my nails are better than ever, although I do have the occasional accidental nibble. What percentage of your business comes from nail biters? My advice is to wear the enhancements for as long as they can, until they have a bit of length on the natural nail, when they stick the yukky finger into their mouth for a nibble, they realise there is nail there, and hopefully they won't do it. What advice do you give a biter?

Over 70% for me

Advice - wear enhancements so they learn some respect for their fingers (because they are pretty) and keep them out of your mouth.

none of mine have had relapses and all have continued on with enhancements as they find natural nails ugly looking after having perfect enhanced nails.

Confession time - I used to be a serious nail biter. I bit my nails till I had no free edge left at all, then I bit some more, and some more. I did this from birth untill I was nineteen. This was before I was interested in nails and beauty. I tried to stop so many times but just couldn't break the habit. It was a habit brought on by stress, boredom, anything.

Anyway, I had experimented with over the counter acrylic kits over the years but didn't get lasting results, obviously. One day my neighbor got a more expensive over the counter acrylic kit for her b'day and asked to practice on my nails. Neither of us having the first clue about nail enhancements, she proceeded to paint my nails with acrylic liquid then dip them in powder. Repeat several times. The result was the most awful thick lumpy nails I have ever seen. But they stayed on for about two weeks before 'just pinging off'.

By then my nails had a slight free edge and I had broken the habit of biting. I still was tempted occasionally but resisted the temptation and now have extremely long, hard natural nails.

OMG, long post sorry. But having enhancements will give the client the chance to grow their nails out a bit and hopefully break the habit of biting. Even if they don't wish to continue having enhancements, they will be so thankful to you for helping them and you will have a natural manicure client for life.

It worked for me anyway.

I used to get loads of nail biters, probably 80% were. Now most of mine have naturally long nails but need the extra protection and strength of an overlay.

I only occasionally get nail biters now who only want one off nails for a special occasion. Most of my clients have had problem nails with breakages, or used to bite them but now don't and love their nails.

You wouldn't believe how many nail biters I get, probably about 70% of my work comes from biters. I must confess I am an intermitent nail biter/skin nibbler. I asked my mother, when did I started biting my nails? She told me it was literally as soon as my teeth came through when I was a baby. I suppose it was comforting when teething. The problem I have is, when I put my mind to it I can grow them long and the nails re-attach to the nail beds really well, but as soon as I break one, I automatically nibble without realising I am doing it. On several occasions as child I was taken to casualty with an infected finger due to nail biting, I bit them down to the quick. I am also a trained Stenographer and while working in Court I had to keep them short, if they were long they would slip on the keys. I haven't done any Court work for a few years now and my nails are better than ever, although I do have the occasional accidental nibble. What percentage of your business comes from nail biters? My advice is to wear the enhancements for as long as they can, until they have a bit of length on the natural nail, when they stick the yukky finger into their mouth for a nibble, they realise there is nail there, and hopefully they won't do it. What advice do you give a biter?
Hi. I also bite my nails. It happened when i was in secondary, maybe because I am stress because i'm always at the pilot sections. I know it was not good but I hardly can't stop myself. Until my father was really alarm by that habit. He told me to chew gums or candies as alternative. Eventually it was stop.

Last edited:
i've always bitten my nails often so far that it hurts and I wish I could stop. I have tried enhancements many times from different salons but none have lasted more than 36hours on me. (and i don't mean just one coming off i mean all of them off in 36 hours which is as long as doing them myself with a kit lasts) so I've more or less given up on enhancements .
They just don't seem strong enough to stand up to my life so i'm not wasting £30 on them any more! maybe one day someone will make a product that bonds well enough to stick to my nails but not yet!

Latest posts

Back