Why Creative

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lellipop

Lelli Loo Loo
Reaction score
Could you please tell me why?, creative products and training is better than, going to college to study nails. I was college qualified and dont know if i missed out or not. Please help

hiya ,i cant speak for everyone but i have been,trained at college and also with creative i loved the training i got with creative, they do go into everything in depth , chemicals ,diseases and disorders and they are always on hand when you need them , i think it just gives you that bit more support than when you leave a college ,anyway thats just my opinion

Hi Lesley,
Well, I have given some thought to your question - Why Creative is better - I also asked this as I had trained with another Company [not Collgee though] and then when I delved further into the nail world and got to know a little more, I realised that there is so much respect for the company Designer Nails - not only the people at the top but also the product, the ambassadors and even the nail techs themselves!! I don't really think College and Creative can be compared to be honest - you take different things from each course but which is more useful.....??? Certainly, it has to be Creative because you are learning how to use a top quality product which is renown throughout the world. You simply can't go wrong with Creative but College.......... I think you'll be hard pushed to find anyone saying the same thing about college courses.
Hope you make the best choice for you
Carol

hiya lesley
there is nothing wrong with training at college.
however, there r a few differences between the college tutors & the creative educators.
i will not generalise, but i will comment on some of the experiences that i've encountered with the college system.
i understand that these experiences maynot apply to all tutors at all colleges.
firstly, even though the hours are similar in the creative foundation course overall to the hours of tuition you would have in the "equivalent" college training, there r only 8 students per class in the creative found. class, compared to a max. of 25-30 students at college.
secondly, creative only cover 1 system in that time, & go into more detail. also things like bitten nails, ski-jump nails etc r not included in the creative foun. as these r considered not suitable for beginners, which the foun. class is for.
to cover all the criteria that has to b included, it is v.hard to maintain the level throughout the class.
with creative these things r covered in classes to b taken when the relevant time has passed (masters).
lastly, & as i said, this is based on the interaction i've had with numerous college tutors, most of the tutors even thou they r technically qualified to teach this subject, they haven't had any commertial(salon) experience for a v.long time.
this puts them at a disadvantage, as they r not confident when doing a demo.
the kits r smaller due to costing, & the things that would b supplied to u at a creative academy are not usually there in a college set-up.

so, to summerise, apart from class sizes, & kit sizes, ( & here i'm assuming that your college uses creative products, not many do), the main difference is that if you go the creative route, you will b taught by NAIL TECHNICIANS, not beauty therapy teachers that did a nail course a long time ago.
some of the colleges, to their credit have started funding for creative educators to educate the college tutors & increase their confidence & skill.
to put this into perspective, in 1986 i qualified with distinction in electrolysis. i haven't performed this treatment for about 10 yrs. there is no way that i would want to b put into a class with 25+ students & have to teach & demo them electrolysis :shock:
also, as a beauty therapist i was taught that "false nails" were not something that beauty therapists did :shock:
this attitude is still in beauty colleges today, & these tutors r taking classes of budding nail techs giving them this negative attitude.
it is 1 of my personal crusades to irradicate this train of thought.
it won't b easy , all the while the people who work out the class rotos at the colleges think that if you're a beauty tutor you can EASILY teach nail enhancements! :shock:
sorry it was my usual essay length!!
liza smith, creative educator for kent

liza smith said:
also, as a beauty therapist i was taught that "false nails" were not something that beauty therapists did :shock:
this attitude is still in beauty colleges today, & these tutors r taking classes of budding nail techs giving them this negative attitude.

Yes, Liza, my tutor at college when I did my manicure & pedicure course was very like that.

If you want good training go to the experts in their field - most of the college tutors may be good tutors but are they good nail techs :rolleyes:

I remember as a secretary having a computer boffin come and train me on using WordPerfect - he may have been good at being a boffin but he was no secretary - I decided to train our secretaries myself.

Sorry I digress but hopefully you get the gist. LOL

Hi Liza,
Thank you for your reply to my post it was very intresting to read. I was lucky when at college, as my tutor did work in a very good nail salon, as well as being a tutor. I am qualified with the international health and beauty council, But would like to be in the very top of the field. Creative nails seems to be the most respected in the industry. But if a good nail tech do you need creative training to work up in the industry or not?
Thanks Lesley P

hiya lesley
there r a few nail companies that r up the top end of the field.
aside from creative, there r ; ez flow, nsi,& opi.
the easy way to explain myself is to compare the situation with the hair industry.
if you wanted a kick-ass hairdo would you only go to someone who used wella, or l'oreal or goldwell?
there r other factors that u would look 4, eg. cost, salon atmosphere, staff attitude, etc.
however the most likely factor that would sway u would b word of mouth.
if a nail tech/hairdresser/ beauty therapist is good at what they do & has passion & drive, & is always looking 4 more knowledge, they will eventually find the right product supplier 4 them.
a very talented nail tech will make the best of any product put in front of them.
creative have some ( mayb a bit more than "some"!) of the best nail techs in the world.
however, there r people i know that work with other systems & r superb at what they do, to name some of them; anthony buckley (ez flow), denise wright (nsi), tom holcom (formally ez flow).
compitition mayb 1 of the ways of judging the situation; there have been more winners of comps. using creative than all the others put together.
there was a post a little while ago, i think it was from ella, that explained how she came to choose her product range. she did a lot of market research & she chose creative 4 numerous reasons, look up the post.
to summerise, go with your gut feeling, read all the positive info on this site & make an informed choice.
1 last thing, i may work v. hard to b good at what i do, but, some of the best opportunities that have come my way would not've happened if not 4 my links with creative.eg. working back stage at london fashion week, photo shoots for vogue, harpers & queen, travelling to california & germany.
i, like lots of others, am v. happy with my choice :D
lol liza xx

Thanks Liza, Have read your reply and i am going to do a conversion course with creative.
Thanks Lesley

hiya lesley
you will certainly enjoy conversion :D
i notice you come from cheshire, i mayb wrong but ithink that may b my mate mandini's patch.
whoever takes your class, you will have a brill time!
let us know when you have booked on.
lol liza xx

what a fabulous, informative and fair post Liza!!! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back