Why did I get bubbles in my P&W today? I've 6 yrs experience?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bev Rose

Reaction score
I'm so upset :cry::cry:.....

This morning I have had a new client in for P&W liquid & powder NNO.

I was having quite alot of problems with bubbles in my pink as I let the bead rest on the nail, i could see the bubbles popping up to the surface!

I use CND Retention+ and have an ultra sculptor brush.
I dipped my brush into my monomer and rocked it from side to side to release any bubbles within the brush.
I wiped my brush bristles along the dappen dish both sides.
I put my brush into the powder & counted 1-2-3-4, then removed my brush, counted 1-2-3-4 again, placed the bead on the nail & counted to 4 again, allowing the bead to settle - seeing bubbles in it!!!! There was no ring of monomer around the bead and it was not hard to place like a dry ratio & sticking to my brush.
When I went to press the bead, the bead was looser than normal.

I never normally have a problem with mix ratio - now & then on the odd nail, but not every nail on both hands!!!!!!!

I even had to remove the beads of pink sometimes after I'd started to work it as there was sooooo much bubbling!!!!!!!!!

Is it possible, that as this was my 1st client of the week - my products had been sat in my log cabin salon over the weekend & were cold? The monomer bottle was cold to the touch. her fingers were also cold.

I'm so disgusted with myself, I said she could have them for free - she saw the bubbles & asked if I could take them out?? I said yes, I will soak them off. She had not time for me to do that & offered to pay me 1/2 the price, as she did not want to not pay me for my time & products etc.
She was very understanding - never had bubbly nails before & always had Bio sculpture gels.

I'm really fed up with myself now, I've never in all my 6 years, offered to not charge anyone for their nails.

In my opinion, it's not you! :hug:

Temperature can wreak havoc with monomer. I think that may have been the problem. If you've never experienced this before, that would be my best guess.

If the monomer bottle feels cold to the touch, place it between your legs while you are doing your filing, cuticle work, etc. (I read this tip somewhere on this site) I think this would help. HTH! :)

Bev Rose, I feel your disappointment :hug:
It is often difficult when we are experienced techs and experience these types of problems. I am with deanosnana, can only think of the monomer being very cold. On the very cold mornings we have I put my dappen dish into a cup of hot water to warm it, I dry it and then poor the monomer into the dappen dish to bring up to temperature. Personally I have never experienced what you have. (as you still feel your mix ratio was correct). Only experience I have is when it is cold and my mix ratio is a little to wet or I get heavy handed.
Look forward to seeing if another geek has shared the same experience as you.

yep in my opinion defo cold atmosphere, i always make sure that my room temp is around 20-21 deg. monomer does not like getting cold. I only found this out when i had sundbeds in salon never got in in summer when beds where used all the time. Then as the weather got colder bubbles started to appear specially in morning by time afternoon came no bubbles. I dont have sunbeds now but make sure in colder climates that my heating is on low but constant. Now I never have a problem. Hope this helps:)

did you press your brush against the bottom of the dappen dish whilst it was in the monomer, this is what removes the bubbles from you brush

did you press your brush against the bottom of the dappen dish whilst it was in the monomer, this is what removes the bubbles from you brush

Yes, hun, I pressed it, then rocked it from side to side to expel all the air bubbles in my brush xxxx

Bev, don't beat yourself up, sounds like the cold weather kicking in and this will be your first winter in the log cabin from memory?

Get the heating on a bit earlier and I'll bet you don't have the problem again xxx

Thanks everyone xxxx

I do think it must of been the cold. I have been racking my brains all yesterday. I know it wasn't my mix ratio, as each time I dipped my brush & picked up my bead, I was getting more & more careful & checking each & every one!!!!!

I have been into the garden shed (the holiday camp for spiders!!!!) and found my portable oil filled radiator, cleaned it & installed it into the cabin, so will pop it on 1 hour before clients.

Yes, Cathie, it is my 1st winter in it - I started working from it last March, but did have a panel heater in there running on & off through the night to keep the chill off, so that will go back in soon too. I use the radiator for a quick heat up if needed.

Hi Bev, if you put one of those Min and Max thermometers in your cabin you will beable to get an idea how cold it gets on a night..xx

Hi Bev, if you put one of those Min and Max thermometers in your cabin you will beable to get an idea how cold it gets on a night..xx

Good idea! I'll get one xxxxx

Maybe it was something called Crystalisation. It has happened to me a few years ago, and it was a very cold salon. Maybe you could do a search on it.

Altho i had read CND monomer doesn't Crystalise

Maybe it was something called Crystalisation. It has happened to me a few years ago, and it was a very cold salon. Maybe you could do a search on it.

Altho i had read CND monomer doesn't Crystalise

CND monomer never crystallizes. And crystallization does not look like bubbles even when it does happen with other monomers.

Bev Rose has plenty of experience to know ... just work with the products at an ambient temperature and all will be well.

Latest posts

Back