Why did my l&p with gel topcoat have craters in them?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

'chelle

Reaction score
Hi

I've been using l&p for a while, but I did a Brisa gel conversion this week so I'm enjoying playing with the new products. On the course we were told that once we have filed l&p enhancements in with a 180, you can use gel topcoat to finish. I was doing a set of l&p nails today, did the filing in with a 180, applied solar oil, buffed in, scrub-fresh'd, then did the gel topcoat. The nails went under the lamp ok, but when they came out they had craters in them.

It looked as though the gel had not been able to stick to parts of the nails, and I wondered if this was because I used solar oil. I had thought that S.O is best used before the gel topcoat so it can penetrate the enhancement but now I'm wondering if I did it wrong.

Can anyone offer any advice as to where I might have gone wrong?

It will be because you put oil on first. just srubfresh before you put the gel topcoat on xx

not sure if i would have oiled them and..maybe you applied the gel too thinly this is usually the cause of craters

I agree...no oil..just scrubfresh and a nice not to thin/thick layer of topgloss.

I have been told that you should dust very well, no scrubfresh, no oil - just topcoat:)

Yep, no oil. I can allready tell if i putted my finger on the finished nail and apply the uv topcoat if it puls away on that spot.

I agree...no oil..just scrubfresh, and not to thin/thick layer of topgloss. oterwise you will get craters or the burs/bumps

lol chelle just answered on your profile page !!
check your grit make sure your not using a worn file etc and the brisa UV top coat can be a little thick, I always put in my pocket for about 10 minutes before I'm going to use it I find it follows better and doesn't drag so get a full coverage.
and I don't bother with the oil if I'm going to UV topcoat. xx

I use glaze n go on the top of my l & p and if I buff to a high shine before applying, I get craters. You need to leave it rough, but dust prior to application, this allows a good adhesion. I know this wasn't your problem here but I thought I'd share it anyway. :lol::)
Claire x

gel top coat will work better on a 180 finish, I don't see any problem with scrubfresh, in fact I would recommend it because you want to get rid of all dust, just make sure that the surface is dry before you apply the gel.
I also find that most top gel is thinner viscosity therefore they tend to shrink more, with lights that have 4 bulbs (18w or 2 bulbs work best) so if your light have 4 bulbs introduce the gel to light slowly.

HTH

I also find that most top gel is thinner viscosity therefore they tend to shrink more, with lights that have 4 bulbs (18w or 2 bulbs work best) so if your light have 4 bulbs introduce the gel to light slowly.

Brisa Finishing Gloss will only cure in a Brisa lamp (take it from someone who tried a non-Brisa lamp!)...... Personally I use Young Nails Finish Gel (in my Brisa lamp) as I find the Brisa Finishing Gloss too tempremental.....

No oil and no gel, I can buff to a high shine faster than it takes to apply and cure gel,(then I can apply oil) and I don't have to buff that crap off and deal with the superfine airborne dust when they come in for a refill.

Shall we do a video challenge ?

But a gel overcoat lasts longer and protects the nail from staining.

The reason I used the gel topcoat is because this was my hairdresser client. She is notorious for staining her nails with hair dye, and I wanted to see if the gel topcoat will provide a barrier to prevent the staining.

Latest posts

Back