why did my regular, need to take painkillers to cope with pain after soaking off and

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lotus blossom

Reaction score
had a client in today
whos been a regular of mine for nearly two years, she comes every two and half weeks without fail,
two appts ago, shed had a bad break on one nail, and had trashed them a bit , with decorating, so she suggested a soak off and new set,

i soaked them off and reapplied and off she went,
she then apparently had such burning pain down her sidewalls that she had to take pain killers to get to sleep that night,
but the next afternoon it was fine,
and she forgot to mention it too me at the next appt,

but today she came in and remembered it had happened,

i was horrified, but i also didnt know the answer as to why??

i know if i had of worked too wet it would have caused excessive shrinkage causing temorary pain, but i didnt work too wet,
also if id have over thinned her nails aswell, but i didnt, all i did different was perform a soak off before hand,
any ideas????

Is she a picker Nikki?

did you use an acid primer or an acid free primer? Sometimes clients are sensitive to this?

Was it tip and overlay or sculpts?

Tell us more!!

no defo not a picker, shes as good as gold, no problems atall normally,
and no i didnt use a primer it was nno with retention +
please help me i hate not having an answer

and you're 100% positive that your mix wasn't too wet?

Is she on any medication nikki ?

stab in the dark...not a answer, more of a question.

Could it have anything to do with having them soaked first...making the nails swell...to then having them redone and so then what with the shrinkage that can happen with L&P it being more extreme what with all the swelling of the nails and shrinking again... ????

stab in the dark...not a answer, more of a question.

Could it have anything to do with having them soaked first...making the nails swell...to then having them redone and so then what with the shrinkage that can happen with L&P it being more extreme what with all the swelling of the nails and shrinking again... ????
Would that happen with acetone and/or product remover, as that dehydrates the nails as opposed to swelling them?

again, like you Angie, more of a question :wink2:

I've just worked out I am sensitive to Reten+ its not a over exposure issue either as this has happened from day one of using Rentention (Radical is fine and I use it all the time) I am also sensitive to Acetone as well (it turns my nails white) which is why I hardly ever soak off (file off) so it could be down to the fact that she is just sensitive to Retention+ try her on Radical. I get the same response as her (pain wise) with Retent+

I've just worked out I am sensitive to Reten+ its not a over exposure issue either as this has happened from day one of using Rentention (Radical is fine and I use it all the time) I am also sensitive to Acetone as well (it turns my nails white) which is why I hardly ever soak off (file off) so it could be down to the fact that she is just sensitive to Retention+ try her on Radical. I get the same response as her (pain wise) with Retent+
Thats quite normal for acetone, try using a product remover it is less harsh than neat acetone.:)

thanks for all the response,
shes not on any medication
shes worn retention + for over a year now, she never ever causes me any problems atall,
i think it must be down to the fact that they were soaked off before hand,
i used product remover
im stumped!!!

Thats quite normal for acetone, try using a product remover it is less harsh than neat acetone.:)

same thing happens hun, (prod remover here just has aloe added to it is all) I even get a bit of grief using scrub fresh as well.

Honestly,this may sound harsh..but she sounds a bit sooky to me. Perhaps her private life isnt going well at the moment and is looking for attention?
Its not like you are a NSS tech..her nails would be in good condition esp. as you have said she isnt a picker.
Does she have waxing done as well?? If she can handle that then she can do anything,lol.

Honestly,this may sound harsh..but she sounds a bit sooky to me. Perhaps her private life isnt going well at the moment and is looking for attention?
Its not like you are a NSS tech..her nails would be in good condition esp. as you have said she isnt a picker.
Does she have waxing done as well?? If she can handle that then she can do anything,lol.

whats sooky mean????

cry baby..hypochondriac etc.:)

oh right!
well shes not a sooky!!
shes a perfectly normal client!!
i just wanted answers as to why this had happened
maybe ill never know!!!

Don't know if this the right answer, but it still might me down shrinkage/setting.

If I do a set on myself, it is usually a nno - at the moment my natural nails are quite long (thinking about doing Judy's comp). Also my nail plates are very flat, so to try and get more of an illusion of a C curve I have to pinch them slightly - not too much as I prefer the natural look. I have to apply slightly more product as well for the apex.

On the really flat nails, I sometimes do get pain - especially down by the side walls - I think - may be wrong, that it could be that the shrinkage (remember it will still shrink slightly but obviously more so if wet) along by the side walls will be pulling etc - iykwim.

Also, the mixing of L&P is a chemical reaction and sets with heat - could it be possible this is the cause - that she is feeling the warmth of the setting?

I wouldn't have thought it would have been anytthing to do with the soak off as like others have said, this would dehydrate her nails.

Hopefully someone will clarify - but these were my thoughts xxx

Fab question btw xxx

thanks for that debs
you made a good point as normally she just has a rebalance time after time, and i use tiny beads of product,
but this particular time, i did a new set after the soak off,
so maybe she did feel the heat of the product curing , more so than normal,
im definately sure i didnt work too wet, but then it was a couple of appts ago, and i cant work out if the temp in the room was hot or cold that day to see if it could have been that aswell,
ill put it down to me then!! and mention it too her next time,
i did think it must have been extreme though for her to need painkillers to get to sleep thats why i was so concerned,
thanks debs x

Does anyone know if NSI does a product remover, can't find one on website and not in last catalogue?

(sorry not thread subject!)

Latest posts

Back