Why did you choose your Range of Nail Polish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terese

Reaction score
I am trying to find a Nail Polish company that will provide modern, up to date polish colours, where their packaging and bottles are modern and appealing.

Also without sounding disrespectful in advance to anyone who uses these, I would like to find a distributor who doesnt retail in the high street stores(e.g boots, superdrug, tescos, etc) and who allows professional products to be bought and retailed by the professional Beauty Therapist

So what made you choose what you use.........cheers Teresa

May i first say that im with you on the "high street" avalaible polish....So if you were going to go for OPI that is now in Boots and John Lewis....they have lost me as a therapist:rolleyes:

I would go for any of these...Zoya,or Creative.

Reasons...ease of application,longevity,and have colours in high gloss or matt...oh and they distribute to the PROFESSIONAL only...:green:

BTW,i even saw Elemis in John Lewis...now that P....d me off mega bucks....right im gonna get off my soap box now:rolleyes::lol:

This is what I have found, I saw Elemis in Jl too. I know Nails inc are on the tv and in debenhams.....I would like to find a range that I can retail in my salon that looks fresh modern and I can make some money from etc..zoya had been mentioned to me before ...

p. s can you get zoya from qvc? oh descions descions:idea:

I bloody hope not:eek::!:

when it comes to o.p.i being in boots I think it can be a good or a bad thing depending on where your salon is.

I am in a small village and the nearest boots is a 25 minute journey away..john lewis is 40 mins away. I think in one sense it can be a bit of a put off if you are in a shopping centre however it works for me as people assosciate the brand and think it is great they can buy it local..also are more aware of it after seeing it on QVC so come looking for it.

Just to point out though...we are all pretty much stuffed with the likes of ebay!!!

when it comes to o.p.i being in boots I think it can be a good or a bad thing depending on where your salon is.

I am in a small village and the nearest boots is a 25 minute journey away..john lewis is 40 mins away. I think in one sense it can be a bit of a put off if you are in a shopping centre however it works for me as people assosciate the brand and think it is great they can buy it local..also are more aware of it after seeing it on QVC so come looking for it.

Just to point out though...we are all pretty much stuffed with the likes of ebay!!!
Ive said it before and ill say it again,when a salon owner chooses a professional,respected brand,and invests in a lot of money beacause its the requirement...for that brand to then go into the department stores and on TV dishing out thousands of kits at prices that the salon owner cant compete with,and losing out on clientele with retail...its then another issue...

Its a shame as OPI and Elemis are a professional brand...but i see it as it cheapens the brand,when i see these "professionals" spouting a load of garbage on TV just to sell to joe public....

If some of these companies remembered where they started from and remembered the one man band salons and did offers for the salons and liased with the salons and the professionals they may have gained more respect.

Its then that salons like these convert to the professional salon only brand and they have lost out to them.

Right enough said,i need a chardonnay...:!::green:

I choose OPI.

The reason being I love the application and the colours, I love the fact clients have heard of them. I get clients coming in because they have bought nail envy in boots and now want an OPI manicure although at the moment im still using up my creative stock but it gets them through the door !!

One of the main reasons I changed is that they have an area rep and loads of promotional material, gift packs etc and a massive presence in magazines, oh and they actually have polish racks in stock !!!

Luckily our local boots only sells the nail treatments and as far as im aware at a higher RRP than salons (or so my rep told me) I offer a product loyalty scheme so there really is no reason for clients to get the products elsewhere unless they know a friend that gets them cheap from sallys !!

i was trained by Creative and so naturally used Creative Nail Enamel....i haven't had a reason to change, i do have the odd bottle of this and that (picked up at nail shows) but 99% is Creative.

We use OPI and I love it,it's a fab polish,loads of colours to choose from and it's easy to get hold of via Sally's if you need to restock before your next visit from the rep.

They are always bringing out new collections,for instance their Russian collection which consist of new, beautiful colours,all with unusual names,that must have taken forever to think up.

The polish is a delight to use,longlasting and I have never had any problems with it.It's well known and we have many clients who love it as well.

They do lovely mini box sets for special occasions,I.E Xmas,weddings and the like.These sets sell like hotcakes and there's so many different ones to choose from

Advertising is great and they do regular pamphlets launching their latest colours,which our clients love to look through.

I know Boots sell some OPI but they dont sell the polishes at all in our local branch,it's a big store as well.They only sell the Nail Envy.

I mentioned qvc as I put a search in for zoya and it came up with buy from qvc...

Thought I would clear that up:)

BABS:-I will do a tour of my boots etc and see what they stock...I have seen the Russian Colours and I thought they were Fab

Im going for a glass of Chardonnay now. Teresa

Hi
i have a friend that wanted Toluene Formaldehyde and DBP Free she went to the beauty show and spent few ££s on Zoya, her out come is that she has now put them on ebay, as 99% of her clients had problems with the colour chipping and not lasting, also i phoned up the company just to get a price list etc and there customer service was poor .
My salon is Creative, i have never had any problems with them and the colours last well, also they are a great price for us to buy in and then sell on to clients at a good price. I also have a small selection of opi but i cant afford to buy in and then retail

p. s can you get zoya from qvc? oh descions descions:idea:
Yes it is available on QVC, it's also available to the public on their UK website!

Hi
i have a friend that wanted Toluene Formaldehyde and DBP Free she went to the beauty show and spent few ££s on Zoya, her out come is that she has now put them on ebay, as 99% of her clients had problems with the colour chipping and not lasting, also i phoned up the company just to get a price list etc and there customer service was poor .
I have some Zoya enamels and have never found them to chip or have the colour not last.
Perhaps her application needs to be worked on a bit?!?

My main brand is Creative (which I also retail), I also use Zoya, OPI and Mavala and can rate them all highly, but for a fab brand which isn't available on the high street then Creative gets my vote :green:

Orly, OPI, Creative, Nail Creation, Mavala, Jessica, NSI... why limit yourself to one?
As you can tell I have an enamel obsession:lol:
But NEVER anything thats not a professional product.
WHY?
If the enamel is ok..which is usually a pretty big if.. you can guarantee the brush will be no use. Or vice versa.
And if you use one from your high st. then you won't get any retail sales.
Client: I love this colour and it never chips where can I buy it?
Tech: From me..I'll order you one or check if I've got one in stock.
OR
Same question..
Tech:Boots, Avon, Superdrug etc
Client. OK thanks (I'll give them my money instead of you, even though you were the one who totally sold me on the enamel in the first place)
hth x

This is what I have found, I saw Elemis in Jl too. I know Nails inc are on the tv and in debenhams.....I would like to find a range that I can retail in my salon that looks fresh modern and I can make some money from etc..zoya had been mentioned to me before ...

yes, nails inc do stock retail products in some debenhams stores but that is because a large number of Nails Inc bars are in debenhams stores. hence why some stores that dont have bars stock the products.

as for the qvc thing, nails inc, opi, decleor, elemis and many other high quality brands sell through them. not everyone has access to these brands normally if they dont have a salon/spa in their area who use these ranges. selling through qvc just gives more people the chance to experience using these wonderful products. i have seen it has a positive as i am supervisor for exeter nails inc in debenhams which opened about a month ago, and a large number of our customers have had their nails done with us as they have either heard about us or bought products through qvc!

I love OPI too, but find that there are so many collections, I am not sure what colours to choose.

Also OPI is so readily available on EBay, but ones like Creative, Essie, Mavala, Jessica are not. Perhaps take the latter ones into consideration when buying your stock.

we use creative in are salon & i love it!there are so many diffrent colours to choose from its fab!just one question though, when i was at gmex the other weekend a jessica nail tech told me that creative have gone bust does anyone know if this is true as im struggeling to place orders for my products with my supplyer but they are not telling me anything?
x

Just read that some one has taken over thank god for that lol x

I understand your point JoJo, its just Im looking for a brand that I will be able to reatail to the public for a profit as I am a small business...its so frustrating to think polishes which professionals stock and use are available for all and sundry to buy from whereever, there is no distinction (ima)and clients moan that it doesnt stay on etc...when its probably boils down to their lack of preparation and after care

I am starting to think it wont make alot of difference who I go with as if someone doesnt want to pay then they wont and they will buy from whereever and do whatever:lol:

I understand your point JoJo, its just Im looking for a brand that I will be able to reatail to the public for a profit as I am a small business...its so frustrating to think polishes which professionals stock and use are available for all and sundry to buy from whereever, there is no distinction (ima)and clients moan that it doesnt stay on etc...when its probably boils down to their lack of preparation and after care

I am starting to think it wont make alot of difference who I go with as if someone doesnt want to pay then they wont and they will buy from whereever and do whatever:lol:

But it does make a difference! If you believe in the products you use that belief comes through to the client. You don't have to 'sell' the benefits, just have faith in what you use.

I'm mobile so retailing polishes isn't easy (no display!) but I still manage it! I don't push it, I just offer to order the colour they want. But there are always the clients who will go cheap, and that applies to all areas of life! I think clients do realise that pro brands are different to OTC, and you reinforce that during the treatment.

IMO, CND enamels offer everything I need. I do have some OPI but 95% are CND.

hth's

Latest posts

Back