Why do acrylics glow under black lights?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JaztotheMax

Reaction score
I was wondering if someone could answer that question please. I wanted to know also if gel nails do the same thing. Any help would be great! Thanks!

I didn't know they did :eek: !! Is this ALL acrylics?

the only product ive ever found to glow under UV light is IBD intense seal, from what i can gather this is because it has brightners in it, so when you go in daylight the small amount of UV from the sun makes them look brighter. but when they go under intense Uv light they glow!!!

Ive never known a L&P or Gel system to do this. only over white tips.

I haven't seen L&P glow unless it had a gel overlay on top. I have seen Gels glow all the time?
Plus there's the UV polish from Creative.

Gotta say I've never seen acrylics glow in the dark - gel glows on sunbeds though:lol:

Most acrylics contain an ingredient called an optical brightener although acrylic overlays generally don't glow under a black light (the ultraviolet lights you find in nightclubs).

The product that glows is the UV Block used over the top of acrylics that is applied to stop them from yellowing; a common problem with some overlays. It is a type of top coat applied as varnish that contains these optical brighteners, its job is to block UV light so that it does not affect the overlay beneath it.

There are also many high gloss UV cured gel top coats that contain these optical brighteners which will also glow under a black light.

Hope that info has been useful!!

Georgie. xx

taintz said:
I haven't seen L&P glow unless it had a gel overlay on top. I have seen Gels glow all the time?
Plus there's the UV polish from Creative.

The Creative UV polishes are designed to glow in the dark for fun!

Creative L&P enhancements will not glow in the dark and do not need a top coat to prevent yellowing as they never yellow with age, due to the high quality of the product.

are u talking about the free edge part? if it's a permanent french enhancement, than probably because of it being white... white always glows bluey - purpley in blacklight :)

I think LilDee has it right. In my "other" profession I teach classes on Health and have this great kit with a black light that will show the "germs" still left on the hands after they have been washed (it's lotion that has glow in the dark pigment). Well, anyway, whenever I do this activity all the white acrylic on the gals with enhancements will glow ~ everytime. I think it's because white "glows" under black light.

Latest posts

Back