Why do it on the cheap ?????

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adelekeegan1

Chatty geek
Reaction score
I have read many threads recently about how to make savings in these hard times.

There have those that :-

Advocate economising on UV lamps
Want a cheaper range of products
Looking for cheap training
etc etc etc

We all have a budget, nobody wants to waste money, we all want to earn as much as possible.

When I wanted to extend my range of Brisa gels I ran a special offer on standard manis and pedis to raise the money and this enabled me to purchase the colours and shimmers. This seemed the best way to maintain my high standard and consistent use of quality products and also to ensure that I was always using tried and trusted products.

In my opinion, cutting corners with product, training or service will only lead to trouble.

I agree Adele :) i have put my prices up in the last month ! i have ten pedis booked in over three days and four in fills and 2 new sets so i have done the right thing x

At a time when our primary objective should be to KEEP the clients we have THE LAST thing anyone should be thinking about is going down market and using a cheaper product range. The products you use may be one of the main reasons your clients come to you for their nails.

Mess the clients you have around now, and it will go very hard against you.

I have picked up a new client this week because her previous tech has started using an inferior polish - doesn't take much does it !

I know there is a credit crunch, but using inferior products or going for cheap training is just like throwing money away. You are so right Adele.

Went to CND today and had to put a few things back :cry: Its not like me but I had to do it. At the moment I dont need bulk size products so I just bought smaller. I will not comprimise on the quality of my products even files and buffers.
I will not lower the price of my full set tho I will discount tans, add free nail art and combine mani's n pedi's.

When I started out with Manicures and Pedicures I started using cheaper products as i could not afford the higher quality products with a great name.And yet to this day i am still using the cheaper range of manicure and pedicure products and i dont like doing this, Hence why im booking my conversion course for Spa manicure and pedicure with CND as i want to be using fab products!

So really if you look at what ive done - You end up paying out money for the cheaper products and then eventually changing to the higher product and making a mistake which does end up costing more money as the money you spend on cheaper products could have gone towards the top range products.

As for training well I also made the mistake with finding cheap training and yes it certainly was cheap for a reason, no efforts from tutor, lazyness, not going into every detail etc. But then again i went onto a higher company for training and the difference was amazing it made me realise what good training is!

xx

When I started out with Manicures and Pedicures I started using cheaper products as i could not afford the higher quality products with a great name.And yet to this day i am still using the cheaper range of manicure and pedicure products and i dont like doing this, Hence why im booking my conversion course for Spa manicure and pedicure with CND as i want to be using fab products!

So really if you look at what ive done - You end up paying out money for the cheaper products and then eventually changing to the higher product and making a mistake which does end up costing more money as the money you spend on cheaper products could have gone towards the top range products.

As for training well I also made the mistake with finding cheap training and yes it certainly was cheap for a reason, no efforts from tutor, lazyness, not going into every detail etc. But then again i went onto a higher company for training and the difference was amazing it made me realise what good training is!

xx

You will be bowled over by the CND mani and pedi products - my clients swear by them:)

Last edited:
You will be bowled over by the CND main and pedi products - my clients swear by them:)

Oohh even looking at them in the catalog makes me feel pamperd :lol:

My mum always said cheapest will cost you the dearest in the end!

There's the old saying that I try to live by... buy cheap and buy twice... it's true in the majority of cases.
You only have to look at the number of therapists who use this site and have gone for the cheaper option to start off only to change to a better quality product range and training afterwards...

The thing that confuses the heck out of me is this... do those who chose the cheaper option truly believe that it's only the name of the product that makes it a tad more expensive on the overall treatment price as opposed to the quality and benefits it gives?
Do those who choose the cheaper course option really think that they will receive an equal level of education to the top quality courses?

Fab thread that certainly gives food for thought :green:

I think a thread like this was long overdue...i would not dream of using an inferior product on myself let alone a clentele:eek:

My mum always said cheapest will cost you the dearest in the end!

Totally agree with this. :)

I love it when my clients say to me all you products are so lovely and comment on the lovely smell etc. It makes perfect sense to buy the best that you can, so you can offer not the best possible service with products that will last, but it will keep your clients coming back.

Great thread.

Once reading over this thread again it makes me think.When people look at this thread and they are just starting out I think those who look at this thread and are thinking of buying cheap 80% of those wont change their mind and will continue to buy cheap - I think this because they may think because those of us who have been doing it a while have money to buy the more high quality products or people may think we are saying it for the sake of it to be 'posh'.

And i do think most of those people will go ahead and still buy the cheaper product and will then 100% learn from their mistake and realise they want the higher range product.

Sometimes it takes your on mistakes to make in order to realise rather than someone else actually pre warning.

I hope I make sense?

I totally agree with everything you have said.
I think in some cases people just want it all NOW and don't want to work or wait for it. But it is silly because as I always say...use cheap products and you will end up with no clients!
They wont recommend you and wont come back.
And as for cheap training ...don't get me started on that one. That is one of my pet hate on here and insulting to everyone else who has paid a fortune to do everything properly. xxx

i have had quite a few clients go elsewhere to someone cheaper and EVERY one of them has come back to me because they know my products are good! i think there are some things i shop around for but i do stick mainly to my suppliers ive always used! x

I beleive You get what you pay for and that goes for clients too.:)

There will always be people who use cheap and are happy with it. I agree with Gabby in the sense that I wouldn't want to use something on a client I would not be happy to use on myself. Do I want Rimmel polish where I have to paint 10 coats to get the colour in the bottle or do I want a professional colour that glides on with 2 coats and stays. One chips and doesn't last but costs 99p; the other doesn't chip and last 2 weeks and costs £3.50 plus VAT... worth the extra every time in my book!

You know the word 'trial'... when you 'trial' something to see if it works? Well you can split this to try-all. Just because something doesn't work for you doesn't mean you have failed. It simply means you have found out what doesn't work so you can move on to finding out what does!! This goes for any part of your life... Even in my worst moments I don't regret anything because it has shown me there has to be a better way!

Nice thread Delly!

I have read many threads recently about how to make savings in these hard times.

There have those that :-

Advocate economising on UV lamps
Want a cheaper range of products
Looking for cheap training
etc etc etc

We all have a budget, nobody wants to waste money, we all want to earn as much as possible.

When I wanted to extend my range of Brisa gels I ran a special offer on standard manis and pedis to raise the money and this enabled me to purchase the colours and shimmers. This seemed the best way to maintain my high standard and consistent use of quality products and also to ensure that I was always using tried and trusted products.

In my opinion, cutting corners with product, training or service will only lead to trouble.

I could not agree more! Thanks for this thread! :hug:

Well over the years I've certinally learnt the hard way 'buy cheep buy SEVERAL times'

When I finaly decided to buy good quality I kicked myself for being so stupid.

Great thread
:hug:

Latest posts

Back