Why do my acrylics keep coming off?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am very grateful for all advice given and I will pay much more attention to prep as reading the advice, i'm sure thats where i'm going wrong.
Just to clarify though, I did not take a short course at Sallys (no offence to Sallys but would never take a one day course in anything like this )
I took a longer course with a very reputable company and the only reason i'm using Sallys products is because, at this stage, I know I'm nowhere near good enough to charge people for this service so am only practising on friends and family. I figured if I could make them fabulous on Sallys products then any other products would just make them fantastic!
I do not intend to become one of the so called "cowboys" of the industry which is why I've joined salon geek so I can ask if unsure.
I've been a hairdresser for 23 years and a beautician for 5 and have a very good reputation for being good at what I do - I understand the importance of giving people the service and product they ask for and deserve . Therefore will not be "going live" with acrylic nails until I am 1000000% happy with what I do
I'm sure , now I have been given great advice, I'll get there in the end - thanks so much :lol:

I completely respect your experience and this post. I hope the following post will create a EUREKA moment for you (and anyone else who looks at the following video).

If you think PREP is your weak spot, then take a look at a bit of CND education re cuticle work .. it very clearly teaches you the difference between cuticle and eponychium and how to thoroughly cleanse the nail plate of all cuticle so there will be no lifting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttxRWkbwGIg

This video is an example from a CND education Ambassador (Holly Schippers) and is how all CND techs are taught clean gentle yet thorough preparation of the nail plate prior to the application of enhancements or Shellac. If you like what you see then maybe it will encourage you to look at CND for further education. There's allot more believe me. :green:

If you can get Geeg's book it helped me loads while i was training and i still look at it now, its called Nail Class and is totally fab x

If you can get Geeg's book it helped me loads while i was training and i still look at it now, its called Nail Class and is totally fab x

Yes, I totally agree, Nail Class is one of the 'must have' books for anybody starting out in the nail industry.
Well worth the buy.....I own it as do many many other techs new and old, and I would never get rid of my copy:)

Last edited:
I completely respect your experience and this post. I hope the following post will create a EUREKA moment for you (and anyone else who looks at the following video).

If you think PREP is your weak spot, then take a look at a bit of CND education re cuticle work .. it very clearly teaches you the difference between cuticle and eponychium and how to thoroughly cleanse the nail plate of all cuticle so there will be no lifting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttxRWkbwGIg

This video is an example from a CND education Ambassador (Holly Schippers) and is how all CND techs are taught clean gentle yet thorough preparation of the nail plate prior to the application of enhancements or Shellac. If you like what you see then maybe it will encourage you to look at CND for further education. There's allot more believe me. :green:

This video is fab... Thank you

First before we go any further can I please correct you and several other posters on their/your use of the word ACRYLIC. You are using the wrong term for what you are using ... why? because all nail products are acrylic. So I don't really know what you are using!!

Are you using wraps? Are you using gel? or are you using >Liquid & powder ... how do I know ? All systems are acrylic.

I am going to assume that you are using L&P (liquid & powder) as that is the term most often that students get wrong.

Why are they coming off? Could be many reasons. No1. is that your prep is not good enough ... 2. you mix ratio is wrong ... 3. you are going to close to the side walls ... 4. you do not apply the product correctly i.e. too much patting and not enough pressing. Perhaps you think it is all easy peasy? Perhaps you think it is as easy as plonking the product on and all should be well? How are we supposed to know what you are doing/ not doing?

You want to do really well at nails ? Learn your craft with a quality product and quality education. Welcome - Sweet Squared and do not make the mistake of thinking that what we who are successful do, is an easy ride. It takes time, dedication, skill and intelligence to run a successful business doing nails.

You need more and better education and products. This is the 3rd post on the main forum about 'acrylics' coming off!! Seems to be a common problem with those who do not get good education, right from the start.

I do think you little bit hard on her with terms of ''education'' ..Not everyone has the opportunity or funds to further ''education'' especially in this economic down turn. And when they have already been to college and expect to be taught well there. when you sign up to education you do not expect just be thrown at you a qualification paper without all the skills ''you need'' especially if you signed up to do nails but did not know before hand that you had more to learn. What about uni graduates who have some of the most top degrees here but still manage to leave not knowing everything they should know and yet university is the highiest education you can get .It is this losey governments fault not this girls fault the government is cutting everything that would better people in life! This girl relied on this government to give her good education and they failed.government have failed the youth here.That is ignorance to think a novice should at first hand know all the aspects about nails and the education that is in it. It is upto the government to see she leaves equip with all she should know.There is also a very bad ignorance among people in this industry they fail to Realise that people have to start somewhere!

Last edited:
I do think you little bit hard on her with terms of ''education'' ..Not everyone has the opportunity or funds to further ''education'' especially in this economic down turn. And when they have already been to college and expect to be taught well there. when you sign up to education you do not expect just be thrown at you a qualification paper without all you the skills ''you need'' especially if you signed up to do nails but did not know before hand that you had more to learn. What about uni graduates who have some of the most top degrees here but still manage to leave not knowing everything they should know and yet university is the highiest education you can get .It is this losey governments fault not this girls fault the government is cutting everything that would better people in life! This girl relied on this government to give her good education and they failed.government have failed the youth here.That is ignorance to think a novice should at first hand know all the aspects about nails and the education that is in it. It is upto the government to see she leaves equip with all she should know

Just when you think it's over and back on track!! :grr:
I'm sure not going to get into a political debate here on salon geek. :eek:

It matters not what the poster's financial status is nor what the government is responsible for or not ... my advice is to seek further education as we all do and I still do myself even after 30 years.

It is not up to the government to make people competent, it is up to the people and how hard they work at it, as to whether or not they are competent at the job.

The government provides the minimum standard of training for working .. that says it all really. Of course people must seek further education ... saying so isn't being hard on anyone .. just realistic. As a member wrote to me this morning ... the people who use this site are not still wearing nappies and sucking dummies .. and I for one am not going to pander to them as if they were.

Last edited:
I'm sure not going to get into a political debate here on salon geek. :eek:

It matters not what the poster's financial status is nor what the government is responsible for or not ... my advice is to seek further education as we all do and I still do myself even after 30 years.

It is not up to the government to make people competent, it is up to the people and how hard they work at it, as to whether or not they are competent at the job.

The government provides the minimum standard of training for working .. that says it all really. Of course people must seek further education ... saying so isn't being hard on anyone .. just realistic. As a member wrote to me this morning ... the people who use this site are not still wearing nappies and sucking dummies .. and I for one am not going to pander to them as if they were.
well she came here for advice not to be critised on her educational standards i rest my case

well she came here for advice not to be critised on her educational standards i rest my case

And she got it ... and she got good, realistic practical advice too. NOWHERE was she personally criticized.

I think the point that is trying to be made is that people come on here for advice & support not to feel like they are being told off & belittled. Telling people they are wrong all the time is not what they want to be hearing. There are better ways of putting things. People are very grateful for all replies including myself but it doesn't have to be so blunt it puts people off wanting to ask. :)

excately i could not have said better myself

jeez people take the advice that's given without trying to make something out of nothing...:rolleyes:

jeez people take the advice that's given without trying to make something out of nothing...:rolleyes:

It is pretty impossible to have any kind of intelligent discussion with someone who won't listen. Therefore I won't be trying to discuss any longer. :hug:

Last edited:
People are going to stop helping if this keeps up. I don't see how geeg said anything wrong. I would think about why you feel intimated by her and other geeks.
Anyway I don't do acrylics but I would go for the best training and products you can. I'm sorry if you don't have the money but I just work and save to pay for my courses. That's the way it is, hard work and a lot of money to start a business. Know one gets it handed to them. Good luck! X

Can we get this back to the original topic please.

I actually think the question was answered a LONG time ago, boss! :hug:

I'm sorry just read this and if posts like this keep up we will not have anyone wanting to answer our questions!
Just incase they "say it the wrong way" which is silly as you can't possibly tell in a text!
The original poster seemed happy with her answers so why is a mountain being made out of a mole hill.
X

I actually think the question was answered a LONG time ago, boss! :hug:

Time to close this then as it is going round in circles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back