Why do my acrylics keep coming off?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reaction score
I done an acrylic course a good few months ago now and have done quite a few sets however they fall off after a few days :( it is really starting to get me down as i follow the routine i was taught when i was training. i use a.s.p from sallys and am wondering if this is just a crap product? I really want to start charging people for acrylics but feel i cant if they are going to fall off after a few days! Does anyone no a really good acrylic and powder i can use? would like a really strong one if poss!

First before we go any further can I please correct you and several other posters on their/your use of the word ACRYLIC. You are using the wrong term for what you are using ... why? because all nail products are acrylic. So I don't really know what you are using!!

Are you using wraps? Are you using gel? or are you using >Liquid & powder ... how do I know ? All systems are acrylic.

I am going to assume that you are using L&P (liquid & powder) as that is the term most often that students get wrong.

Why are they coming off? Could be many reasons. No1. is that your prep is not good enough ... 2. you mix ratio is wrong ... 3. you are going to close to the side walls ... 4. you do not apply the product correctly i.e. too much patting and not enough pressing. Perhaps you think it is all easy peasy? Perhaps you think it is as easy as plonking the product on and all should be well? How are we supposed to know what you are doing/ not doing?

You want to do really well at nails ? Learn your craft with a quality product and quality education. Welcome - Sweet Squared and do not make the mistake of thinking that what we who are successful do, is an easy ride. It takes time, dedication, skill and intelligence to run a successful business doing nails.

You need more and better education and products. This is the 3rd post on the main forum about 'acrylics' coming off!! Seems to be a common problem with those who do not get good education, right from the start.

Last edited:
I have to 2nd Geeg's comments, there is not one thing she said that I and many of us would disagree with.

I can only assume because you are using a Sally's product that you either did minimal training through them or none at all as from what I understand, any Jo Blo can buy L & P from Sally's.
From what I also understand, the courses that Sally's offer are short and only touch on the very basics and I'm sorry but a course like this is not worth anybody's time and money.

I strongly suggest you take Geeg's advice and go get further training in a good quality product that will offer you good training and also good after training help if you feel you need it.

There are many times a new tech complains about their L & P nails just "falling" off and say they are doing thorough prep work cause they were taught XYZ in class, for us to find out this is not the case at all cause they were not taught correct prep work.
Correct prep work is paramount:)

Before I read geegs reply, I had never given this a thought.
Neither had anyone ever mentioned this to me. But now I GET IT! I'm a serial patter instead of pusher. This will be why my right hand 'poppits' (the only way I can do my own right hand) do not lift at all.
Eureka moment indeed.
I never actually loose any acrylics but they do lift after about 2-3 weeks and need removing rather than infilling.

Whilst i agree what has been said and the advice given i feel it is a real shame that some more experienced nail technicians feel the need to be patronising and ,frankly, quite rude to others asking for help and advice. I joined this forum to get tips and information from those more experienced than me but if the attitude is to be so 'up yourself' because you have been doing it longer and do it better than i dont think i will bother. Everyone had to start somewhere and i dont believe that they were all that great from the start. Are people trying to put off newbies from asking questions? The answers come across as extremely harsh sometimes. Why cant some people be more encouraging instead of so critical and rude? #justsaying

i'm quite a new geek but i must say i had problems with nails coming off and i thought i was preparing the nails well but i wasn't, i take that extra bit of time now and thoroughly prepare the nails and i've not had any nails coming off recently, my motto is bad prep = bad nails, it takes me a wee bit longer than before but its well worth it :)

Prep prep prep, that's all I can say. I was doing what I thought I needed to until I spoke to my ea at sweet squared. I was doing no where near enough to get those nails squeaky clear! That's why my nails lifted before and haven't since we had that conversation. Go back and talk to your trainer, if this isn't possible go find good training!

Whilst i agree what has been said and the advice given i feel it is a real shame that some more experienced nail technicians feel the need to be patronising and ,frankly, quite rude to others asking for help and advice. I joined this forum to get tips and information from those more experienced than me but if the attitude is to be so 'up yourself' because you have been doing it longer and do it better than i dont think i will bother. Everyone had to start somewhere and i dont believe that they were all that great from the start. Are people trying to put off newbies from asking questions? The answers come across as extremely harsh sometimes. Why cant some people be more encouraging instead of so critical and rude? #justsaying

Massively agree with you, I've felt like this also. X

I can understand why you might feel hurt when Geeg replies to you. That's your pride. You want her to say its ok don't worry maybe try this keep going. Which she is saying but she isn't covering it in sugar.
You have happened upon the best expert advice for free! We are soooooooooooooo lucky to have her here. I don't comment much but I try to read every single thing that Geeg writes because there is so much knowledge there that you can gain and so much from her wealth of experience. It is a privilege to have her respond to you and for us to have her here. I'm not saying that to have a go at you but to say its like having an interactive text book (I hope that isn't offensive gigi)
If you can ignore your pride and think about it, is she right? She is isn't she? I did a shorter course to learn gel and when I finished I was a bit rubbish. I was upset because you think you should be good to go when you've done it, they kind of sell you the course that way then I stopped and thought. No one is good at anything overnight and some courses are practically overnight. You have been taught the fundamentals now you need to expand that knowledge with your passion. I bought 2 text books, NailClass and Complete nail technician, and read them back to front. I go online (If you search this site there are amazing tutorials you can read and learn so much from) and read as much as I can I stay up until god knows what time practicing techniques and it is beginning to pay off. My clients are very happy and I am beginning to get a good name for myself.
It is very tempting to want to go full steam ahead and want to be brilliant straight away but since when has anything worth having been easy. My clients love the nails I do and wouldn't go anywhere else because they know I know what I am doing (and know I am passionate and curious about nails) and they trust me. Their nails look great and they get compliments. Does this mean I've finishes learning? Nope I've only just begun. And I'm happy about that because I love learning about the whole industry. I am so happy to do nails I can't believe people pay me to do it and hopefully in the not too distance future my client base will be big enough to make me a great living - but right now I have a full time job for the bills and I earn to learn and buy good quality products I am have 100% confidence in with my nail money.
Sorry for the epically long post. I know if you keep your chin up, get practicing and read, read, read you will get there. That is what separates the professionals from the cowboys in our trade.
Good luck to you and keep questioning (just do a search on salon geek first because your question is likely to be answered or there is a tutorial about it. There is nothing wrong with asking here but I think the experts on the forum get tired of repeating themselves sometimes - not your fault at all but there is usually one question a week about lifting and the answer is practically always prep which has been covered a lot)

Hope that post makes sense I'm hopped up on Beechams cold and flu!
Stacie xx

I read everything Geeg has to say also. That should tell you something about her advice!! This question has been asked so many times and that's why it is being met with a straight forward answer. Utilize the search tool and you will find loads of information on this exact question. Were all here to help but the search tool is really important too so that we don't see 25 of the same post in a day.

Like I said...its not what is said, its the way its said. No need to try and make others feel small just because they are not as good as others. They come for constructive advice not criticism. Why be so blunt as to put them off asking again? Maybe that is just how some people are but i have found that people respond better to encouragement than belittlement. And it seems im not the only one with this view....

i agree, iv posted this thread before too because i dont find the answer that IM looking for on someone elses thread. like you said, everyone had to start somewhere to get where they are today x

Sent from my GT-I9100P using SalonGeek

Like I said...its not what is said, its the way its said. No need to try and make others feel small just because they are not as good as others. They come for constructive advice not criticism. Why be so blunt as to put them off asking again? Maybe that is just how some people are but i have found that people respond better to encouragement than belittlement. And it seems im not the only one with this view....

If you are not happy with something either take it up directly with the person by PM or report it to the Moderator team.

I think constructive advice is being given on here by geeks with experience in our industry and on SalonGeek.
I also find it a bit odd that a first post by someone is one criticising a post rather than actually answering or helping the thread starter.

Anyway.....can we get back to, stopping these acrylic L&P nails falling off please.

This thread is about L&P nails coming off. Not whether or not you like the tone you think you hear in a post. Some do some dont .. you say tomAtoes and I say tomatoes !! No where was the post in question patronising, rude, belittling or anything other than straightforward advice.

I think the point that is trying to be made is that people come on here for advice & support not to feel like they are being told off & belittled. Telling people they are wrong all the time is not what they want to be hearing. There are better ways of putting things. People are very grateful for all replies including myself but it doesn't have to be so blunt it puts people off wanting to ask. :)

I think the point that is trying to be made is that people come on here for advice & support not to feel like they are being told off & belittled. Telling people they are wrong all the time is not what they want to be hearing. There are better ways of putting things. People are very grateful for all replies including myself but it doesn't have to be so blunt it puts people off wanting to ask. :)

I think the point is, that no one was "told off" or "belittled" nor does any one say people are "wrong all the time". Talk about exaggeration and misrepresentation.

If information is wrong then it is wrong ... it will be corrected. People come here to learn, do they not? If that is what they have come here to do, then learn, otherwise the 'chit chat' forum is the place to hang out.

People really have to stop acting like big babies and crying because they are told their information is wrong or they have used the wrong terms or they 'think' someone has a 'tone'.

I can make a post have any 'tone' I want by just reading it differently in my HEAD ... and that is where tone is created. Read posts in a nice friendly 'tone' and it will look completely different. People have to stop assuming what 'tone' is in a post. :hug:

I am very grateful for all advice given and I will pay much more attention to prep as reading the advice, i'm sure thats where i'm going wrong.
Just to clarify though, I did not take a short course at Sallys (no offence to Sallys but would never take a one day course in anything like this )
I took a longer course with a very reputable company and the only reason i'm using Sallys products is because, at this stage, I know I'm nowhere near good enough to charge people for this service so am only practising on friends and family. I figured if I could make them fabulous on Sallys products then any other products would just make them fantastic!
I do not intend to become one of the so called "cowboys" of the industry which is why I've joined salon geek so I can ask if unsure.
I've been a hairdresser for 23 years and a beautician for 5 and have a very good reputation for being good at what I do - I understand the importance of giving people the service and product they ask for and deserve . Therefore will not be "going live" with acrylic nails until I am 1000000% happy with what I do
I'm sure , now I have been given great advice, I'll get there in the end - thanks so much :lol:

I am very grateful for all advice given and I will pay much more attention to prep as reading the advice, i'm sure thats where i'm going wrong.
Just to clarify though, I did not take a short course at Sallys (no offence to Sallys but would never take a one day course in anything like this )
I took a longer course with a very reputable company and the only reason i'm using Sallys products is because, at this stage, I know I'm nowhere near good enough to charge people for this service so am only practising on friends and family. I figured if I could make them fabulous on Sallys products then any other products would just make them fantastic!
I do not intend to become one of the so called "cowboys" of the industry which is why I've joined salon geek so I can ask if unsure.
I've been a hairdresser for 23 years and a beautician for 5 and have a very good reputation for being good at what I do - I understand the importance of giving people the service and product they ask for and deserve . Therefore will not be "going live" with acrylic nails until I am 1000000% happy with what I do
I'm sure , now I have been given great advice, I'll get there in the end - thanks so much :lol:

Thanks for clarifying re your training.

What I would say though, there is no point in practising with a cheaper brand as they all work differently, and you are really best to,start as you mean to go on with a premium brand and get used to it.
Even with a premium brand it takes a while to get the feel of it, learn how to work it and get optimum results, why put all that effort into a brand you don't actually want to use on clients. Do you see what I mean?

yes - you're absolutely right, I totally get your point and appreciate it .which products would you say would be best please ?
thankyou x

There are a few good brands....what was it you initially trained with ?
I would strongly advise doing a Conversion course to a new system, usually they are free with purchase of the kit so well worth it.
Different systems have different mix ratios of liquid to powder, and some advise patting, and some pressing....it may not sound a big deal but it can make the difference between a happy client and a complaining client ;)

Good brands are, CND, EzFlow, Young Nails, Entity, and Harmony have a good acrylic system and training.

I have over the years used CND, then EzFlow and there is a huge difference in the way you use them. I also have used Harmony which is very similar to EzFlow.
I am now back using the new CND retention+ system and dont see me switching again lol:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back