Why does my colour fade so quickly?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

Haircutz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Geek
Reaction score
This is a really good video from Guy Tang clearly demonstrating how heat tools will quickly fade your colour.
Guy also explains why washing in hot water and hard water will also cause your colour to wash out.

Note: they talk about straighteners set at 450 degrees (Fahrenheit)
For European spec hair tools the equivalent is 230 degrees Centigrade
His recommended temperature is around 320’F or 160 degrees centigrade. I use Cloud 9 straighteners and I have them set to 150 degrees. You really don’t need them any hotter.

If you have clients complaining about their colour fading quickly, particularly blondes going brassy, grab your iPad or phone and show them this video.

finas

Reaction score
Just what I needed. I did a DIY some months ago and by ash blonde hair looks a kinda orange now especially under sunlight :/

jamiereid92

Reaction score
I'm so shocked that it literally comes out of the hair like that! I knew heat would fade the colour but i thought it would rinse out at the next wash, not come out onto the flat iron :oooooo

Reaction score
Good video to show clients, thanks :)

HairByOz

Reaction score
Cool water for shampooing and low temps if you have to use a straightening iron

Redkenredhead

Reaction score
Personally I wait a while to wash my hair after a color. Since It's not good to wash your hair everyday, I started waiting as long as I could before I washed my hair after a color (I use red) and my color keeps for much longer. I tell my clients to wait also, along with these steps: If you use any heated tool on your hair always use a heat protector first. ie-Redken's Hot Tools is a great heat protector. Also a few others stated in their answers- cool water when washing. A good leave in conditioner with uv protectors in it will also help protect color from Fading fast. I live in Tucson,AZ where it is dry, and hot with 300 + days of sunshine a yr, so my clients not only have to worry about hot tools
fading their color the elements will take a toll on your fresh color too. These steps have helped my clients keep their color looking fresh longer.

Reaction score
Excellent video to show the clients... Keep it up!

Kittymore

L2 hair
Reaction score
Is this just oxidative dye?

Kylie.huds

Hair dying technician
Reaction score
You're going to save many of us :D Thank you for sharing this video.

Emma88s

Reaction score
What a interesting video!:)

Claire35

Reaction score
Thank you. Very interesting

Redkenredhead

Reaction score
This is a really good video from Guy Tang clearly demonstrating how heat tools will quickly fade your colour.
Guy also explains why washing in hot water and hard water will also cause your colour to wash out.

His recommended temperature is around 320’F or 160 degrees centigrade. I use Cloud 9 straighteners and I have them set to 150 degrees. You really don’t need them any hotter.

If you have clients complaining about their colour fading quickly, particularly blondes going brassy, grab your iPad or phone and show them this video.

Great video, I have a few other suggestions, since I'm a natural redhead, since getting older having to color my red more now, plus I live in Tucson, AZ where color can really fade quickly. So for my clients these are a few things I tell my clients, so they can keep their color looking fresh longer. First- After a Retouch or initial Color Service wait as long as possible to wash your hair abt-4days, or until they absolutely can't stand it. Second a Leave-in conditioner( nothing too moisturizing or heavy

Great advice.
I have a few things I let my clients know for protecting their new color and my clients are always happy with my advice because their color lasts longer with these few steps.
1) wait until you just can't stand it anymore before washing your hair after an initial color service or Retouch.
2) I live in Az, and our heat/lots of sunshine and hardwater does a number on the hair (color or not)
Use a light leave-in conditioner on the days you wash your hair. nothen heavy ie:REDKEN'S Anti-snap is my fav.
3) always use a heat protector if applying heat to the hair
ie: REDKEN- Iron Shape for Blow Drying use Pillow Proof Blow Dry treatment/primer
The Pillow Proof is Great for protecting your hair from blow drying heat, but I noticed that a leave-in conditioner can do the trick w/o having to add more products to the hair. I suggest a leave-in +Pillow Proof if my client has thick(density)hair, if it takes longer than 10min to dry the hair.
These are just a few of my tricks that I have used over the years. As stylists we all have little tricks of the trade that has worked best for us over the years.
Its awesome to hear others (Cosmetologists) advice and tricks of the trade. I always learn something new, listening to others. And after 30yrs I will never know it all, it's fun to gather more knowledge over the years.
Thanks too everyone who has posted what they like to use, its all great advice.

Redkenredhead

Reaction score
One main reason color fades so quickly, "this is my 30yrs experience, other probably have other reasons/advice"
Clients wash their hair too often, use hot water, use flat irons on high temps and add no protection for the hair from high heat. If your hairs overly processed, there is nothen left on the inside of the hair for color to adhere to. The biggest I have seen is after the color is rinsed from the hair it's always a good idea to lock down that cuticle layer again. Treatments like Redken's "Shot Phix" they have various PH levels depending on where you need that PH to be brought down to. I had to study Trichcology in Beauty School 30yrs ago, it was a pain in the a** BUT..... It was So worth it, It gave me a better understanding about Hair Science/Chemistry how each hair strand reacts to any chemical service and how to maintain the hairs integrity during chemical services. It not just about slapping hair color/lighter on someone's hair and hoping for the best. It's one thing to know/understand level and tone as well as undertones, it a whole other thing to know/understand not just those elements but knowing what chemicals to inside the hair strand. Because as most every Stylists knows "once you have killed the hairs structure there's no conditioner or treatment that can fix that, only scissors can! Protect the hair so you never get to that place with a client! And for the client, you can hold on to that damage and try to fix it, but it's an endless frustration and your hair is never the same until you get rid of that damage, it may be short for a little while but once its healthy it comes back fast! Gooey, spaghetti when wet and like dried out straw when dry! That's core damage and the integrity (solid foundation) is gone.

Nicqui

Nicqui
Reaction score

This is especially true for toning blonde with purple shampoo / conditioner or leave in mousse. If you have toned with a Developer the colour loss is not quite as bad.

Haircutz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Geek
Reaction score
This is especially true for toning blonde with purple shampoo / conditioner or leave in mousse. If you have toned with a Developer the colour loss is not quite as bad.
No, that’s not correct. You only use developer with oxidised colours and you're opening the cuticle layer, so that’s not always a sensible solution if the hair is damaged from excess bleaching.

Nicqui

Nicqui
Reaction score
No, that’s not correct. You only use developer with oxidised colours and you're opening the cuticle layer, so that’s not always a sensible solution if the hair is damaged from excess bleaching.
It's true in my case.

Nicqui

Nicqui
Reaction score
My blonde tone lasts longer if I've used a Toner and Developer, as opposed to purple shampoo / conditioner / leave in mousse.

Haircutz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Geek
Reaction score
Ok, I understand what you’re referring to now.

Usually, you choose a toner that’s either a Semi or a Demi (Quasi) colour.
Semi’s aren't mixed with developers and Demi’s are mixed with low strength developers.

A Demi will last longer than ordinary purple shampoo but if the cuticle layer of the hair is badly damaged from excess bleaching, then a Semi is a more gentle and longer lasting option.

Latest posts