Why does my polish crack like 'egg shells'?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ammej85

Reaction score
Grrr it's happened again! Not worn polish on my fingers for ages, but when I do it starts to 'crack' on the tips.

Imagine tapping a spoon onto a hard boiled egg, It looks like that. So annoying! It also happened the one and only time I had gel overlay on my fingers too.

I would rather it chip than crack. Anyways does this happen to anyone else? And if it happened to gels on me do you think it might happen to me with Shellac?

With polish, the reason for cracks is usually too much polish coupled with a fast drying top coat. the top coat dries facter than the polish and if the polish is too thick it will crack.

Gel nails that crack have usually had trauma or maybe been cured too quickly or with the wrong UV lamp, but it does depend on the type of gel (soak off, buff off, how long the nails are etc.) used and the quality of it.

With polish, the reason for cracks is usually too much polish coupled with a fast drying top coat. the top coat dries facter than the polish and if the polish is too thick it will crack.

Gel nails that crack have usually had trauma or maybe been cured too quickly or with the wrong UV lamp, but it does depend on the type of gel (soak off, buff off, how long the nails are etc.) used and the quality of it.

Could it have been the way it was cured, it was a nice enough place and the tech was lovely, but the 2 lamps were on permanately and therefore weren't timed accurately to the second (don't do enhancements of any sort so don't know how this affects?)

As for polish, as I was at home i left the colour to dry for ages before top coat was applied.

Do you think it's just down to work as I use my hands a lot in my day job. Im just worried that Shellac will do the same thing :-(

Could it have been the way it was cured, it was a nice enough place and the tech was lovely, but the 2 lamps were on permanately and therefore weren't timed accurately to the second (don't do enhancements of any sort so don't know how this affects?)

As for polish, as I was at home i left the colour to dry for ages before top coat was applied.

Do you think it's just down to work as I use my hands a lot in my day job. Im just worried that Shellac will do the same thing :-(

Cracking is not a thing I have ever encountered with Shellac .. it is not normal to ever see anything like that, of course.

If your nails are very bendy you could have problems with anything. Case of you knowing your own nails and what you do with them and being religious about SolarOil use and aftercare and a technician who performs the service properly..

Latest posts

Back