Why does the natural nail curl away from the plastic tip?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Claire@OBNMK

Reaction score
One of my clients has got tips and brisa lite gel on and when her free edge gets longer (about 3/4 mm or so ) it starts to curl away from the tips that i applied. Her natural nails are very thin and paper like :(, so i was just wondering why her free edge would do this?

Can anyone help?
xxx

It's curling, unfortunately. Tip adhesive is water resistant but after a while water can affect it and the natural nail starts to come away.

It happens a lot less if you sculpt, but also make sure that your clients are using their SolarOil twice daily so that the nails don't dehydrate and curl.

Xxx

I had this on one of my ladies, and asked on here. if I remember rightly some replied that it can be dehydration of the nail (correct me if my memory has failed me lol).
I could only do 3/4 infills then her nails would do that, and I'd have to cut her free edge off and do a new set.

Xx

Lovely thank you ladies.

When she came to me she had hard gel and tips on and it was a nightmare to file down and i left a layer of product on the nail.

She said her nails have always been "thin & crap" and she's been to discount salons in the past, so i was hoping after seeing me for a few months her nails would get better and any damage would grow out but her nails are still thin.

We did originally agree that when i give her a new set next time in 2 weeks we will file the nails right down again but i think i managed to convince her to have a gel overlay (gelish) and structure gel on top in the hope it would be strong enough so she can have her natural nails.

In the article Izzidoll posted at the end it says:

"Banishing Curlingonywhatever

1:If your client returns to you with Curlingonysuckus, file away any area that is not attached, re-prep and reapply product to separated area.

2:When re-applying, carefully ‘wrap’ edges of the natural nail with the product to ‘clamp’ the nail in place. That way, as the product cures, it doesn’t shrink away from the edge."

1: I'm a bit confused, If the enhancement is ok to be rebalanced but there is a small bit of curling, I would have to remove the entire extension and re-do it, wouldn't I?

2:"Carefully ‘wrap’ edges of the natural nail with the product to ‘clamp’ the nail in place", so does that mean, after i've applied the tip, when i apply my first layer of sculpting gel i also should apply a little to the underside of the extension covering the edges of the natural nail?

Sorry for the question xx :o

Can anyone answer the post above for me xxxx

Latest posts

Back