Why dont we all think B4 we post sometimes

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fab Freak

Reaction score
...as recently I can't help but think some people dont think before they post, I have been upset 3 times in the last month, nothing major just people not thinking,

Just sometimes I find that a PM would have make more sence at the time....

...and I really hope that I too have not done this to anyone else (crickey I bet i've opened the floodgates now for people I have upset :o )

So right now I would like to apologise if I have ever posted without thinking and upset anyone, and if I ever do then please PM me and tell me....

Thanks

i find that its hard sometimes to say what you really mean on the internet or in text messages as it can be taken the wrong way........i have a friend that is quite sensitive and i always have to watch what i say to her in texts or on msn.....i can always speak to her face to face no probs though

so what i'm really trying to say it if you are not talking face to face its really easy to pick up on things the wrong way.....well i think so anyway.

i hope i've not offended or upset you by my post......lol :D

stanleyann

I agree with the above. It really is easy to take things the wrong way over email or text. But if someone has felt offended by something it really would be best for that individual to PM the person concerned just to clear up any misunderstanding. I hope I have never offended or upset anyone! xx

stanleyann said:
i find that its hard sometimes to say what you really mean on the internet or in text messages as it can be taken the wrong way........i have a friend that is quite sensitive and i always have to watch what i say to her in texts or on msn.....i can always speak to her face to face no probs though

so what i'm really trying to say it if you are not talking face to face its really easy to pick up on things the wrong way.....well i think so anyway.

i hope i've not offended or upset you by my post......lol :D

stanleyann

No not at all Stanleyann, I quite agree, but I am not to concerned about that as the written word can seem too blunt and to the point sometimes..its when people dont think about what they are saying (sorry I mean typing)

Preview is great I use it a lot to read my posts before postings, to check it could be inconsiderate to others feelings..imo

Fab Freak said:
...as recently I can't help but think some people dont think before they post, I have been upset 3 times in the last month, nothing major just people not thinking,

Just sometimes I find that a PM would have make more sence at the time....

...and I really hope that I too have not done this to anyone else (crickey I bet i've opened the floodgates now for people I have upset :o )

So right now I would like to apologise if I have ever posted without thinking and upset anyone, and if I ever do then please PM me and tell me....

Thanks
Hey Lou, maybe you and i are little sensitive flowers coz i know exactly where you're coming from and it wouldnt hurt people to think before they tap something out on the board. I think i know why you've posted this today as well ;)

Hiya babe,

It's so hard isn't it sometimes, I try to read everything a few times over to see if I'm reading it wrong or not. As Carole knows I'm not a terribly sensitive person (thick skin!) so as well as reading stuff I really have to watch how I write things too, I try to be diplomatic and read my posts a good few times before submitting and even then sometimes I think 'OO I hope they don't take that the wrong way'. Like you I'd hate to think anyone had ever been upset by something I'd posted, I'd also expect them to let me know if I had! Ooo technology eh! it's great innit :confused: J xx

Hi all!

Yes i do agree sometimes i have had my feelings hurt by sharpe replies but what hurts more is when you post a question and noone can be bothered to reply. Its like your not worth the effort.
Anyway thats my rant for the day.

Also if i have ever hurt any ones feelings or been a little sharpe i sincerly apologise.

what you are all saying is so true...posts can be read the wrong way because you can't see the persons tone or body language as they post...sometimes my sense of humour (sometimes playful and cheeky so I'm told lol) makes me want to post something but then i think oh no that could be taken the wrong way on here. Messages can look blunt..the little 'smilies' help but still they can sometimes be confused. Re read yr posts before you send ...and try to read them giving the person the benefit of the doubt if they seem a little 'straight to the point and harsh'.......or if you are upset bite that persons head off and have a good rant...only kidding lol xxx

Fab Freak said:
No not at all Stanleyann, I quite agree, but I am not to concerned about that as the written word can seem too blunt and to the point sometimes..its when people dont think about what they are saying (sorry I mean typing)

Preview is great I use it a lot to read my posts before postings, to check it could be inconsiderate to others feelings..imo

i use the preview option all the time too and nine times out of ten i end up changing the wording of my post....so yes it is a great thing to use.

i am going to say something here and its also one of those momments where i will have to be carefull what i say so as not to offend..........i do find that sometimes people on here try to take matters into their own hands where members and their qualifications come into it.........i have read on many occasions where people have asked for advice about services or products and they have been shot down in flames or interogated quite harshly because of doubts about them being qualified....i've also witnessed people being questioned as to why they are selling a certain brand of nail products when they are supposedly trained with that brand which to me seems really quite rude and as if they are doing something they shouldne be doing :confused: ..........but then again maybe its just the way some of the posts have been worded that makes it look like that........so as others are saying that is when a pm is perfect.

now just to clear things up before i too get shot down in flames......i know all the nail techs on this site are very passionate about their profession and quite rightly so when there are rockets like nug and the other one mr orangeballs or whatever he was called coming on the board and basically being idiots......do as geeg always says , fill out your profile and let people know a bit about yourself and it will help when questions need answering.....it would save a lot of hassle.

we all know that every member on here has a lot to give to each other in the way of helping out with nail related problems and also personal issues too......so as louise says a litle bit of thought put into posts before putting them on the board wouldnt go amiss.....and if you do have a gripe with someone then a pm is the perfect way to go about it....after all thats what the geek man put it on the site for :biggrin:

right thats my pregnancy hormonal rant over for today.....lol :D

stanleyann

stanleyann said:
i use the preview option all the time too and nine times out of ten i end up changing the wording of my post....so yes it is a great thing to use.

i am going to say something here and its also one of those momments where i will have to be carefull what i say so as not to offend..........i do find that sometimes people on here try to take matters into their own hands where members and their qualifications come into it.........i have read on many occasions where people have asked for advice about services or products and they have been shot down in flames or interogated quite harshly because of doubts about them being qualified....i've also witnessed people being questioned as to why they are selling a certain brand of nail products when they are supposedly trained with that brand which to me seems really quite rude and as if they are doing something they shouldne be doing :confused: ..........but then again maybe its just the way some of the posts have been worded that makes it look like that........so as others are saying that is when a pm is perfect.

now just to clear things up before i too get shot down in flames......i know all the nail techs on this site are very passionate about their profession and quite rightly so when there are rockets like nug and the other one mr orangeballs or whatever he was called coming on the board and basically being idiots......do as geeg always says , fill out your profile and let people know a bit about yourself and it will help when questions need answering.....it would save a lot of hassle.

we all know that every member on here has a lot to give to each other in the way of helping out with nail related problems and also personal issues too......so as louise says a litle bit of thought put into posts before putting them on the board wouldnt go amiss.....and if you do have a gripe with someone then a pm is the perfect way to go about it....after all thats what the geek man put it on the site for :biggrin:

right thats my pregnancy hormonal rant over for today.....lol :D

stanleyann

Here Here... well said hun!

I agree with all that has been said here about the posts and PMs.

It is very unfortunate that we have had a couple of "idiots" who have come on the board and made us all a little bit more suspicious of others. As to the selling things and people being made to feel as if they are doing something they shouldn't - it seems strange to some of us to sell something that you will use - ie. if you have 2 tubs of powder - why sell one when you will need to buy another one eventually - surely it makes financial sense to keep it - unless it comes down to a cash flow problem but then you might end up selling it for less than you paid - not financially sensible LOL. As to the training bit - if everyone filled out their profile and kept them up to date then we would not have to assume levels of education and unfortunately some will ask questions which would be presumed as basic information from one course but not covered on another - hence we are not all singing from the same hymnsheet LOL.

As to Tracy - please don't feel that your posts are not worth bothering with - I personally am struggling with the number of posts - I logged on this morning and there were 167 unread posts from last night - unfortunately I now just scan through the titles and selectively read. This sometimes means that valuable information and cries for help, get missed.

To all - When doing new posts - look back or use the search to see if there has been something asked about this before - it was not very productive recently when there were several threads about excel tickets and several threads about the EN and Nail Trainer.

Please everyone think carefully about the title of your thread as this will convince people to read or not read - when a post is entitled "Try This" unfortunately it does not mean anything to anyone to decide whether they will read it or not - was it about nails or not LOL.

As a final unfortunately - people may not be getting the valuable help they need from this board as it has become more of a girls club and less of a nail technicians helping tool.

I hope this post is taken in the spirit that it is meant.

Little Angel said:
what hurts more is when you post a question and noone can be bothered to reply. Its like your not worth the effort.
I agree with this point totally - but I also believe that people don't post possible answers or solutions for fear of getting it wrong, or being shot down in flames :sad:

I'm fairly new to this game, but like to think that I've worked hard, learned a lot and know my trade fairly well, BUT I will see a question posted, believe in my heart I know the answer, but I'm too frightened post a reply in case I'm wrong and everyone jumps all over me making me feel stupid :evil:

I do think this comes from some people being overly critical in their responses, and sometimes downright rude and condescending - which is a shame, as it makes people clam up instead of sharing.

I also understand the frustration that occurs from reading the same questions over and over again, posted by new people who don't realise they've been asked a million times before :| - perhaps a 'sticky' at the top of the Main and Chat forums for newbies would be useful, perhaps giving them details of how to use the search facility and that most questions such as 'where do I go for training?' - 'why am I getting lifting?' have already been answered and a wealth of information is available using the search facility.

I know I asked those exact questions when I first found the board over a year ago :o

Anyway I've waffled enough

Trinity
xx

stanleyann said:
i do find that sometimes people on here try to take matters into their own hands where members and their qualifications come into it.........i have read on many occasions where people have asked for advice about services or products and they have been shot down in flames or interogated quite harshly because of doubts about them being qualified....
stanleyann

I came across a difficult situation like this last week (I think it was last week!) when someone said they were being Creative trained and where could they get products from to train with as her salon didn't supply them, this really struck me as odd and I thought long and hard about replying before I did, I did send the person in question a PM to keep it off the board and was not atall nasty to her just advised she might want to think about her wording as some people would definitely take it the wrong way as she was not being Creative trained atall, to me it sounded like she was being shafted with her training and it was so hard to get the wording right to come across that I was trying to help her and not accuse her. In the end we exchanged a few emails and I hope she understood where I was coming from, I had lost alot of money and time on the wrong training and products for me and explained I didn't want her to fall into the same trap, like Tracy says sometimes what you want to say is hard to get right with the lack of voice and eye contact. I did feel bad after even though I'd been diplomatic as I felt I had burst her bubble but better to burst a bubble now rather than alot of dosh down the road (I hope!). There has definitely lately been an increase in new people coming on the board asking how to do things that if they were even having basic training they would know. Anyway I think we will all definitely think more about our wording etc..

P.s. congrats on the bun in the oven!

J xx

I think that some people are more sensitive than others and I think some peoples posts can sound harsh at times. Regarding lots of questions regarding the basic's, I have to agree with Jo-Jo this site was set up to aid Nail Tech's, But at times I feel that some join to learn lots of tricks and have no intentions of getting proper training.
I do feel that the harsh posts come, When members are unsure of the intentions of a post, Because as we all know this site as been the target of some less than savoury characters.

I hope I've never offended anyone with any of my posts... As a newbie I'm sure I have probably both 'sinned' :evil: with posts where I haven't used the search facility first etc and also sometimes been left feeling a little bruised when I feel like I've been told off or something :sad: .

As a newbie sometimes I feel like I can't answer a question without seeming stupid or am worried about posting 'in the right place', or that I can't question something someone else has said as I don't feel 'it's my place' or that I have the knowledge to counteract something someone has said. But people have also been lovely and welcoming and I've had some really nice PMs from some people.

I try to think hard about what I post as I know my sense of humour is the kind that doesn't easily translate to being written down, but even when you're only writing an opinion or question rather than something more personal, it's so hard sometimes not to offend people, even if you hope you're being 100% neutral about something.
Lol x

Hi

ive only been coming on the site for a few months and try to steer clear of anything contravershall as i get upset really easily. I did my city and guilds in manicure 20 years ago and have always had a passion for nails. My training with Star nails is not the best and i would be the first to admit this but as i live in the middle of no where and my options for training are extremly limited i went with Star as i could travel to there course (any other company would mean a 4 night hotel stay on top of my course fee's also timing having a 500 acre farm)
opps gone off track..........
i have only ever been in the chat on this board once and was more or less told my training was rubbish and not worth the paper the certificate is written on so i have never and will never go in there again. i was really upset by it and infact didnt come on the board for a couple of weeks but i have a passion about nails and i really love talking about them unless you have the same passion people cant understand why i love all things nails
think i should shut up as i have turned into a ranter :eek:

I love nails and thats my purpose for coming on this forum........... hugs to all

I wasn't sure if i should reply to this thread as i have been shot down more then once and "yes" i do take it to heart and now i feel stupid asking for technical help. I wish some of them members would sit back and think how they started off and the question is only easy if you know it...(chris tarent..!)

I agree that some questions are being asked again and again but there is enough of us here for at least one of us to reply back. I'v learnt so much from this site and when i started posting i nearly fell off my chair when certain people replyed...these's guys are the top of the trade and they were answering my questions...i was blown away..! but that was short lived when your made to feel stupid.

Well thats my point...i love this site and the members are great...i guess we should treat others how we like to be treated...;)
Vicky xx

Jo Jo said:
I came across a difficult situation like this last week (I think it was last week!) when someone said they were being Creative trained and where could they get products from to train with as her salon didn't supply them, this really struck me as odd and I thought long and hard about replying before I did, I did send the person in question a PM to keep it off the board and was not atall nasty to her just advised she might want to think about her wording as some people would definitely take it the wrong way as she was not being Creative trained atall, to me it sounded like she was being shafted with her training and it was so hard to get the wording right to come across that I was trying to help her and not accuse her. In the end we exchanged a few emails and I hope she understood where I was coming from, I had lost alot of money and time on the wrong training and products for me and explained I didn't want her to fall into the same trap, like Tracy says sometimes what you want to say is hard to get right with the lack of voice and eye contact. I did feel bad after even though I'd been diplomatic as I felt I had burst her bubble but better to burst a bubble now rather than alot of dosh down the road (I hope!). There has definitely lately been an increase in new people coming on the board asking how to do things that if they were even having basic training they would know. Anyway I think we will all definitely think more about our wording etc..

P.s. congrats on the bun in the oven!

J xx

thanks for the congrats jo jo but please dont mention the word bun as the mere mention of any type of food makes me want to go shopping for it ....lol :D ........everytime i hear about something nice to eat i have to have it........i've no appetite for healthy food at all unfortunately.....the more fat and calories the better it seems to taste.......and i've not been sick once :biggrin:

anyway i think you handled the situation with that member in the correct way....i do remember who you are talking about and yes it did seem as if she was being taken for a ride with the training she was recieving.

can i just say a point about fiona's post too.....i know what you mean about finding it strange when people are selling products that they are trained with when they could be put to use by them maybe at a later date but i am sure there are lots of geek members the same as myself with hoards of different branded products that were bought to sample then stored away or too much has been purchased then some money is needed for other items or training so it does make sense to sell on...so what i am really trying to say is that the items are being sold for a reason and maybe its just me but i do think it is a bit rude for anyone to question why.....another example when the wording of posts should be thought about before being posted or indeed a pm being sent instead.........i myself am a nail shopaholic....lol.......i am having a massive clear out as my spare room will shortly be getting re-vamped into a winnie the poo nursery so i need to get rid of a lot of stuff so watch out on the wanted forum.....lol

right i feel i am now going way off the track of the original post so i will shut up now.....lol

stanleyann

lesley1965 said:
Regarding lots of questions regarding the basic's, I have to agree with Jo-Jo this site was set up to aid Nail Tech's, But at times I feel that some join to learn lots of tricks and have no intentions of getting proper training.
This is where I feel I may fall foul in my posting sometimes.
As everyone probably knows from my tonnes of daft questions about training:o I fully intend to train as a nail tech (I'll be doing EZ Flow in Crawley just as soon as I've sorted out my model) but I'm keen to practise everything I can and learn new things whilst I'm waiting for my training to start. I do worry sometimes that people will think 'well why is she doing that/asking that question when she isn't even qualified yet?' I know in myself that I will only ever practise on myself or on a nail trainer (if I ever find one I can afford:) ) but I know that not everyone else will know this...
Lol x

Just my tuppence worth.....

I love this site and learn something new EVERYDAY. I feel humbled when i put on what i feel is a stupid post (something i should know but don't) and people like Ruth, Sam & Geeg reply! (Don't mean to offend anyone i've left out!)

The fact that busy skilled techs can take time out to answer and help to me is something else...

I also feel it's such a shame that a few (or more acuratley one) people can try and spoil it for everyone and it's also a shame to let them suceed.

I'm also guilty of reading my posts, rereading them, posting them and then thinking i hope others don't take it the wrong way. So appologies to anyone if i have upset them, i promise it wasn't intentional.

TO LOU, I'M REALLY REALLY REALLY SORRY ABOUT TRYING TO DO YOU OUT OF THE OPI ENAMEL SALE AND HOPE THIS ISN'T ONE OF THE POSTS YOUR REFERING TO xxxxx

Taz
x

Latest posts

Back