Why dont we all think B4 we post sometimes

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh gosh we are all such delicate flowers... me included :lol:

I love coming on this site and have also felt a little "put out" at the way I have been replied to on occasion. :cry: I think the main problem is that we can't portray tone of voice, body language or cheeky/jokey gestures on here and also that we are all SO PASSIONATE about what we do that sometimes when we post it can seem a bit forceful and come across the wrong way. I have never meant to offend or upset any1 & so want to quickly throw in an apology now just in case I have ever managed it without realising. Sorry peeps. :o

Another thing I feel I need to get out of the way is that it can seem so clique-y here sometimes that people are afraid to voice their opinion, as groups of people tend to stick together. I have no 1 particular incident or group in mind, but it can just seem that way generally.

I am also planning on going up to Manchester for the show in October but haven't mentioned it to any1 on here as I was a bit worried that the groups would stick together and noone would offer to meet up with me. :sad: I realise I'm now sounding like a big wet lettuce :D and am more than a bit embarrassed :o but that's just the way I've felt.

Other big news is that I'm pregnant (which probably accounts for why I'm so emotional and had a little cry :cry: when I read how sad and uncomfortable people have been feeling - what a softie :lol: ) and I've gone to announce it several times but thought "will any1 bother to reply?!". So yes, I think we should all make more of an effort to ensure every1 gets a reply to their threads. It's just not nice to feel left out. :sad:

On an up note, I have had some really lovely messages. Dee, thank you for your PM when I mentioned I'd had a miscarriage in the past, it was really lovely to know someone was listening and nice to have some1 to share the news of my pregnancy with.

Hope I haven't offended any1 as my comments aren't pointed at any 1 individual. Let's just make this site even better. xx

I am also planning on going up to Manchester for the show in October but haven't mentioned it to any1 on here as I was a bit worried that the groups would stick together and noone would offer to meet up with me. I realise I'm now sounding like a big wet lettuce and am more than a bit embarrassed but that's just the way I've felt.

Oh why not mention it :cool:
I am sure that you will meet loads of us and see that we are all part of one big group (The Nail Geeks) :cool:

Dear Wet Lettuce ;) (this is supposed to be a wink by the way),

CONGRATULATIONS on your bundle of joy!

On the other subject...I know it's not always easy but if I read something that offends me I just think that i'm sure the other person didn't mean it in that way as on the whole we're all a pretty nice bunch.

I think that perhaps we should put this subject to bed now, I think everybody will now be a bit more careful when posting.

Love to all

Thanx Beach Babe. I really am thrilled. :D :D :D :D :D

Really hope you're right and that every1 will be a bit more careful when posting in the future as I think this is a fab site and I would love to think we can all help, support and coach each other without being too critical.

Anyhoo, I'm off back to my salad box now... lol :lol: x

congrats on yor pregnancy best wishes xx

Hey All.

I am sad and glad to see this thread. I am bummed because it appears that there has been some negativity floating about yet I am glad to see that everyone is addressing it in a constructive manner.

Yes everyone needs to be a little more careful in their postings and some need to be far more considerate in their posts.

Yes, message boards/chat rooms/emails are places where people can very easily convey the wrong meaning (either through typing or through reading). Therefore I think that yes, you should double check your posts; but even more importantly you should double check what you are reading :green:
Many times I have read something and completely misinterpreted the meaning and intention of the writer! Always try to give the writer the benefit of the doubt.

My suggestion for dealing with a post you think is inconsiderate or rude? Let the user know by giving them negative reputation points. That is what that system is for! The reputation system allows you to let the user know (privately) what you think of their exact post (positive or negative) without bothering with a PM or going off on one in a thread. It also gives you some anonymity (though I do monitor the system from time to time and if is being abused, I deal with it accordingly so use it responsibly). The reputation points build up (or down) over time and is easily reflected in their profiles (and posts).

As far as Q's not being answered. I am afraid that can sometimes be a result of the success of this site.
In the olden days (ha, a year and a bit ago), I remember getting excited when there were more than 3 people at a time on the site or when there were more than 8 posts made in a day. Now we almost consistently have an average of 30-40 people on line at the same time making an average of 350 posts per day! This is great and exciting, but can leave threads unanswered all the time.

I get bummed as I simply have less and less time to keep up with all of the threads and I know there are many that I would like to contribute to. If I have time to make an average of 5 posts per day a year ago, that would have been maybe 25% of all posts made (thus very easy to keep up with everything that is going on) now, my 5 posts per day only allow me to contribute to 1% of the threads (heck even less as the amount of time to read through threads is much longer). Heck, I’m even having problems finding the time to keep up with all of the maintenance side of the site (the geek-mail is currently down and the gallery is still a bit squiffed).
I used to know everyone on the site and now there are so many members that I have never even read posts from!

The whole purpose of the site is to create a community that helps one another constructively and positively. That is very hard to do when there are so many threads left unread or unanswered but it is even harder to keep up with 50 new threads a day a 350 new posts.
Fionas suggestions are really great in regards to your choice of titles and keeping the threads clean. What else can you do?
If a thread isn’t getting attention: Bump it. Simply reply to it and it will come back to the top. Chances are your thread was not answered simply because it got buried quickly.

What else? Read the posting guidelines (at the top of every forum). Those are still the best guidelines to use for making posts.

At the end of the day, I can only think of a couple people that have ever intentionally tried to ‘hurt’ anyone here and as a result… they are no longer here.

nJoy

Up To Scratch said:
Other big news is that I'm pregnant (which probably accounts for why I'm so emotional and had a little cry :cry: when I read how sad and uncomfortable people have been feeling - what a softie :lol: ) and I've gone to announce it several times but thought "will any1 bother to reply?!". So yes, I think we should all make more of an effort to ensure every1 gets a reply to their threads. It's just not nice to feel left out. :sad:

On an up note, I have had some really lovely messages. Dee, thank you for your PM when I mentioned I'd had a miscarriage in the past, it was really lovely to know someone was listening and nice to have some1 to share the news of my pregnancy with.

congrats on the pregnancy :) .....i've just sent you a pm.

stanleyann

The Nail Geek said:
Hey All.

I am sad and glad to see this thread. I am bummed because it appears that there has been some negativity floating about yet I am glad to see that everyone is addressing it in a constructive manner.

Yes everyone needs to be a little more careful in their postings and some need to be far more considerate in their posts.

Yes, message boards/chat rooms/emails are places where people can very easily convey the wrong meaning (either through typing or through reading). Therefore I think that yes, you should double check your posts; but even more importantly you should double check what you are reading :green:
Many times I have read something and completely misinterpreted the meaning and intention of the writer! Always try to give the writer the benefit of the doubt.

My suggestion for dealing with a post you think is inconsiderate or rude? Let the user know by giving them negative reputation points. That is what that system is for! The reputation system allows you to let the user know (privately) what you think of their exact post (positive or negative) without bothering with a PM or going off on one in a thread. It also gives you some anonymity (though I do monitor the system from time to time and if is being abused, I deal with it accordingly so use it responsibly). The reputation points build up (or down) over time and is easily reflected in their profiles (and posts).

As far as Q's not being answered. I am afraid that can sometimes be a result of the success of this site.
In the olden days (ha, a year and a bit ago), I remember getting excited when there were more than 3 people at a time on the site or when there were more than 8 posts made in a day. Now we almost consistently have an average of 30-40 people on line at the same time making an average of 350 posts per day! This is great and exciting, but can leave threads unanswered all the time.

I get bummed as I simply have less and less time to keep up with all of the threads and I know there are many that I would like to contribute to. If I have time to make an average of 5 posts per day a year ago, that would have been maybe 25% of all posts made (thus very easy to keep up with everything that is going on) now, my 5 posts per day only allow me to contribute to 1% of the threads (heck even less as the amount of time to read through threads is much longer). Heck, I’m even having problems finding the time to keep up with all of the maintenance side of the site (the geek-mail is currently down and the gallery is still a bit squiffed).
I used to know everyone on the site and now there are so many members that I have never even read posts from!

The whole purpose of the site is to create a community that helps one another constructively and positively. That is very hard to do when there are so many threads left unread or unanswered but it is even harder to keep up with 50 new threads a day a 350 new posts.
Fionas suggestions are really great in regards to your choice of titles and keeping the threads clean. What else can you do?
If a thread isn’t getting attention: Bump it. Simply reply to it and it will come back to the top. Chances are your thread was not answered simply because it got buried quickly.

What else? Read the posting guidelines (at the top of every forum). Those are still the best guidelines to use for making posts.

At the end of the day, I can only think of a couple people that have ever intentionally tried to ‘hurt’ anyone here and as a result… they are no longer here.

nJoy
Excuse my ignorance :o but how do you give negative/positive reputation points? I'd no idea such a thing existed.

Thanks for the lovely PM stanleyann - you've got one headed back your way!!

And GMG, as always, you speak the truth and we should all be in awe of your wisdom ;) . Clean threads, constructive replies and careful reading when posting OR reading the posts of others. It all makes sense. :D

congratulations on your pregnancy
smilie_schwanger.gif

Carole Lindsay said:
Excuse my ignorance :o but how do you give negative/positive reputation points? I'd no idea such a thing existed.

Hiya Carole on each post in the right hand top corner there is a symblom that looks like a set of scales if you press this you can award rep points to the person who posted the thread.

Carole Lindsay said:
As lesley pointed out, just click the reputation button for the specific post (found in the upper right corner of each post)->
reputation.gif

Please lets keep this (and all) threads clean and on topic. Please remember that if your post is specific to 1 person... PM them, if it is off topic, start a new thread ;)

Thanks for everyones understanding (and kind remarks ;) )

I know I have sent posts in the past and then by the response have thought that peeps have got a different angle on my words than what I intended so if I have upset anyone then I am truly sorry - just pm to let me know! It's difficult after a hard day's work to put in words what you really mean - like others have said you can say something tongue in cheek and someone take's it seriously so I was so glad when I came across "lol" tl make peeps know you are joking. Agree though that I would rather get peeps true thoughts than none at all - positive and negative so you can make a more informed decision on the question you have asked. I do find it hard to answer technical questions in case I embarrass myself by getting it all wrong, but I guess we learn by our mistakes!

i hope i haven't offended anyone either, i sometimes speak b4 i think (my husband keeps telling me off for this!) i try not to give my opinions too much only being a trainee myself i am still very new to the whole beauty and nail thing and try and only offer my opinions on stuff that i am confident i know about. which is not very much, but i accept other peoples opinions if i ask for advice, i can take critisism, if i deserve it, i haven't been offended by any one yet and i hope we can all be one big happy geeky family (GROUP HUGS FOR EVERYONE) and i hope to be on this site sharing and accepting advice and tips as i grow into a fabulous beauty therapist and nail tech like may others on here thanx. nuff said off for some vino now

OMG!!!! So much of whats been said I can relate to.

I ALWAYS preview my post, I normally make adjustments and I frequently click the back button and don't end up posting the post!!!!! :lol:

I would be mortified if I had ever offended anyone on this site.....we are all here trying to help eachother. I have been a member for almost a year and am still not 100% confident when I reply to people....but I am so grateful that this site is here with such lovely helpful people....and a big thank you to GMG for making it happen :D

BeachBabe said:
On the other subject...I know it's not always easy but if I read something that offends me I just think that i'm sure the other person didn't mean it in that way as on the whole we're all a pretty nice bunch.
I think that perhaps we should put this subject to bed now, I think everybody will now be a bit more careful when posting.
I felt this was a strong and positive post from BeachBabe (which should be my name now :) )!! Many of you have mentioned the word 'passionate' which we all are - desperatley (WELL I know I am) and I think our 'passion' can be misinterpreted on occasion. When you have a great deal of knowledge on a subject, you want everyone to benefit and you don't want them to make mistakes that you know they will should they continue in a certain way! I guess that some posts can appear upfront or short or in-your-face BUT as BeachBabe said - I can not think of ANYONE on here that intentionally goes out of their way to upset people. It has been said many times how certain members of the industry give their time to this board - not to hurt, upset or harm but to HELP the members of this site become better technicians. I think that alone deserves a group hug and for those of us who are more sensitive, please heed Beachbabes advice - 'Just think I'm sure the other person didn't mean it in that way' - or PM that person and get it off your chest!! I would never intentionally be harsh or rude but I too can find it frustrating to see the same questions posted - THIS IS NOT THE POSTERS FAULT (especially when they are new and finding their way around) - this my fellow geeks, is now the nature of the beast that we have ALL created!! A forum where people love to come and TALK NAILS!! Let's ALL keep that in mind!! :p

Well Geeks, I have to agree that on many occasions, I have decided not to post a message or reply for fear of being torn to pieces. In short; everybody seems soooooooooooooo caring and sharing of their knowledge and expertise. However, some of you are....................... dare I say ............ I bit up your own arses.

Kimmi Rocks said:
Well Geeks, I have to agree that on many occasions, I have decided not to post a message or reply for fear of being torn to pieces. In short; everybody seems soooooooooooooo caring and sharing of their knowledge and expertise. However, some of you are....................... dare I say ............ I bit up your own arses.

I think this is the sort of thing we are trying to avoid.
I think like being out in the real world there are going to be people who agree and don't agree on things, But that doesn't mean that we can throw out insults about them :rolleyes:

Kimmi Rocks said:
However, some of you are....................... dare I say ............ I bit up your own arses.
frustrated.gif

Well, that is not exactly what I meant by constructive.

The Nail Geek said:
frustrated.gif

Well, that is not exactly what I meant by constructive.

LMAO!! Come on girls wheres your sense of humour??

Latest posts

Back