Why has Shellac started chipping on long standing client?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlawlessBeauty

Reaction score
As the title says, i'm trying to figure out why my Shellac has started chipping on my client.

She has been coming every 2 weeks without fail since December as she is trying to improve her nails after acrylics. So far it has been fantastic. The nails are really healthy and are growing nicely.

She had hot chillis and loved it. Had it again and it started chipping within a day or two. We redid it a week later (hot chillis) and i was meticulous, wondering if i'd accidently missed something the previous week through chatting? She rang today and said it is happening again. The peeling is around the cuticles, not the free edge.

I use the entire CND shellac range, including the lamp. She uses solar oil and is pretty good with her nails. My routine is wrap nail, remove shellac, shape and Pep (dry), scrub fresh, base x 10, colour x 120, colour x 120, top x 120, d-sperse, solar oil.

The only things i can think of that have changed are that i turned my bulbs over in my lamp, which shouldn't be a problem. And that she has had some hormonal issues...she uses the mini pill and doesn't have periods, but the time of the first failed shellac she was saying how upset and moody she'd been and i mentioned i get it with PMT, she said she'd had a period for the first time in years, but wasn't sure why. She went to the doctor asking if it was menopause and they said no. Could this be affecting the polish?

She's coming back on Thursday so all and any help would be appreciated. Also do you think i should comp her this one since she's such a good client and the shellac isn't lasting nearly as well as hoped? xx

P.S. Sorry for yet another shellac thread, i couldn't find anything similar in the search

Hormones can certainly change the nails in female clients.
I had a couple of clients who always had beatiful strong natural nails until they either came off the pill/Changed the pill or developed a thyroid problem.
All of this was down to a change in the hormone balance which in turn changed the way their nails were. It did effect their nails for quite a few months until all of a sudden they were back to normal.
Unfortunatly there isn't really anthing that we can do to sort these problems out. The body just has to get used to the hormone change.
Jen xx

Hormones can certainly change the nails in female clients.
I had a couple of clients who always had beatiful strong natural nails until they either came off the pill/Changed the pill or developed a thyroid problem.
All of this was down to a change in the hormone balance which in turn changed the way their nails were. It did effect their nails for quite a few months until all of a sudden they were back to normal.
Unfortunatly there isn't really anthing that we can do to sort these problems out. The body just has to get used to the hormone change.
Jen xx

Thanks for replying Jen, you're an angel. I'm so glad to be able to pass this along to my client.

Would you recommend any changes or just to continue with the shellac until the body sorts itself out?

Do you think i should offer her a discount on her next treatment to smooth things over, or not as it isn't my fault? xx

How old are your current bulbs? This was happening to me when my bulbs got older than 6 months. I changed them and I have had no problems since :) Could that be it?

How old are your current bulbs? This was happening to me when my bulbs got older than 6 months. I changed them and I have had no problems since :) Could that be it?

Really? Is that normal? Mine are 5 months old...and i literally just did an S2 order haha. I've checked how long they have left and they are only halfway through their usage though.

I did a set on one of the girls at work today so i'll see how they are when she comes in on friday. If there are chips I'll get some new bulbs xx

Yeah that's what to do. Well on the CND site it does say to change them after 100 hours or 6 months? I had a few people's chipping so it was a no brainer for me. See how everyone else gets on with it and take it from there. Otherwise it must be hormonal like busybee said. X

Thanks for replying Jen, you're an angel. I'm so glad to be able to pass this along to my client.

Would you recommend any changes or just to continue with the shellac until the body sorts itself out?

Do you think i should offer her a discount on her next treatment to smooth things over, or not as it isn't my fault? xx

I'm not a fan of offering discounts (and I hate the word!), but how about giving her a complimentary solar oil, or nice hand cream (as an example)

x

Nails are very unpredictable. For months a client would be ok with a particular product and suddenly there are problems! I have had this very situation; you just can't put your hands on what really caused the problem. If people haven't had this, well that is weird. It can be the lamp, your clients' nails, lifestyle - who knows!

Trouble is, we are so focussed on good customer service we kind of immediately take the blame. If it makes you feel better to offer a small one off discount, to clear the air with this client then it is not a big issue. Put yourself in the client's shoes. As earlier said, I too do not like giving discounts.... however this might be a client for life and what she MIGHT be looking for. A couple of pounds off won't hurt if it makes both parties feel better.

You are not alone with the mystery of products working for while and then suddenly not. It is just how the issue is dealt with is important. Do what you think will make you better - with your head held high!xx

Last edited:
Right, new bulbs are on the order list, thanks Lolly.

I know what you mean about discounts, lol, but she already has solar oil and i don't retail any other hand care products. Perhaps a free upgrade from a basic mani to a full one instead.

ADiva you've hit the nail on the head saying about how we automatically take the blame. This is how i feel exactly...that can't be healthy haha.

Feeling much better now and confident that i know how to remedy the problems. I think i will change the bulbs and take her changing hormones into account and see how things go from there. Thankyou all xx

I'm glad I could offer some help. I would only change your bulbs if other people experience chipping :).

Also make sure they are all turning on. If not u might not have let them click in all the way.

Hi
I’m been searching for a solution to offer my client and I came across this old post with similar problems
Would anyone know if IBX provides increased adhesion?
I’m just clutching at straws here but I’m thinking that if IBX forms a strengthening sheild in the upper layers of the nail plate would it serve as a protective barrier against what ever is being absorbed from the nailbed to cause the lifting?
Same scenario as with posts above - this client has been with me for years but over the last 6 months she’s experienced this complete lifting of the whole application. At first it would only be on a few nails, then gradually more. She reports it lifting at the cuticle edge to the point where she can just peel the whole thing off. Her nails are very ridged strong and healthy and she’s 58yrs old
I use CND Shellac I’ve also tried CND Plexigel Shaper and the product in the photo is Plexigel builder all of which lift in the same way.
She’s now only getting 2 days of wear
I don’t have this issue with other clients so I know it’s not my CND led lamps
Does anyone have any thoughts on my IBX theory???

Attachments

• CDBF24DA-BAB9-40B4-A36D-371AA72A2AF0.jpeg
    CDBF24DA-BAB9-40B4-A36D-371AA72A2AF0.jpeg
    140.5 KB · Views: 0
Hi
I’m been searching for a solution to offer my client and I came across this old post with similar problems
Would anyone know if IBX provides increased adhesion?
I’m just clutching at straws here but I’m thinking that if IBX forms a strengthening sheild in the upper layers of the nail plate would it serve as a protective barrier against what ever is being absorbed from the nailbed to cause the lifting?
Same scenario as with posts above - this client has been with me for years but over the last 6 months she’s experienced this complete lifting of the whole application. At first it would only be on a few nails, then gradually more. She reports it lifting at the cuticle edge to the point where she can just peel the whole thing off. Her nails are very ridged strong and healthy and she’s 58yrs old
I use CND Shellac I’ve also tried CND Plexigel Shaper and the product in the photo is Plexigel builder all of which lift in the same way.
She’s now only getting 2 days of wear
I don’t have this issue with other clients so I know it’s not my CND led lamps
Does anyone have any thoughts on my IBX theory???

I don't have a view on the IBX option but I'm having the exact same peeling issues. Long standing client who went 6 weeks in lockdown now getting full sheet peeling from the cuticle within 2 weeks. A couple of others getting the same thing but they are inconsistent usually anyway. It's driving me insane, whole nail peel off in one sheet, they're even sticking back on with glue 😑

The only new thing for me is a new CND lamp. Obviously CND say it's me or the client but I've been using Shellac since it's launch and this client has been with me since then too. I genuinely think it's the lamp

Hi Bliss,

I use IBX occasionally on delicate or damaged nails and I have not noticed it helping with the adhesion of gel products. It is not for adhesion , just a strengthening system.
I buff more on some clients that are heavy handed, use rubber base and then builder base together on just one lady with nails that peel off in one.
Sorry I have no advice to give about the lamp situation, but hand placement seems to affect curing occasionally. I have some clients with arthritis and their hand placement can need a bit of checking when they put them into the lamp.

I also use IBX and I haven’t found any changes that would help adhesion.

Are your clients nails growing well/rapidly? I have one client who will go through phases with lifting problems and her nails have always grown more than usual when this happens.

I’m a bioscupture technician and we use a small square of “normal” nail polish primer underneath (bio sculpture primers are treatment products). As long as you give it time to dry it seems to improve lifting. Maybe have a test with your products and see if it helps,

Regarding lamps, I find some clients do odd things with their hands which affects curing. I’ve got one lady who seems to slide her hands towards her, away from the bulbs. I’ve taken to lifting the lamp off its base and literally holding her wrist whilst hovering the lamp over her nails. I’m so afraid of allergies from partially cured gel that I don’t want to take any chances. I also clean the inside of my lamps from time to time, they get quite grubby inside and that can affect curing also.

I have had some lamps “fail” inside their guarantee (I got them replaced for free) and that taught me that lamps don’t always last as long as you expect. I have learnt to keep a spare. If I feel anxious I use the newer one and if that resolves the issue it’s time to retire my usual lamp.

Our regular clients really help with quality control, not everyone complains, so I always feel grateful when I see my regulars because that tells me how well my nails last. I never feel that I have clients with problem nails - only a challenge that if I solve it I will have a loyal client for life.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back