Why I will continue to seek advice at Salongeek..

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonnythecat

Reaction score
I read the earlier thread regarding the bracing nature of some replies on here.

I love this site.

Ive been a beauty therapist for fifteen years and had become quite jaded and maybe a little complacent. Not proud of that but its true.

Salongeek has totally rekindled my passion for the industry.

As a direct result of reading the forums i have trained to do Shellac and sp eyelashes. Brazilians and tanning next year.

I wake up in the morning now really excited about the day ahead. Feel challenged, stimulated, recharged.

Second, i realised i still had plenty to learn and i have improved hugely by taking the excellent advice and tips on board.

I do agree that we should all try to be civil and kind to one another and yes sometimes posts from senior geeks aimed at newbies make me wince a bit.

But this is kthe most awesome resource. To have access to people at the absolute top of their game is priceless.

From my heart, thank you so much. Xxx

Last edited:
I could not agree more, I'm in a similar position where I trained 15 years ago and I have found this site is invaluable I love it!

My honest opinion, don't ask for advice if you don't want to hear any!!!! Lol. We are all hear to give support and share our knowledge and experiences with each other!!!!

I Love salon geek!!!! Thankyou!!!

I love this site.

Ive been a beauty therapist for fifteen years and had become quite jaded and maybe a little complacent. Not proud of that but its true.

As a direct result of reading the forums i have trained to do Shellac and sp eyelashes. Brazilians and tanning next year.

I wake up in the morning now really excited about the day ahead. Feel challenged, stimulated, recharged.

Second, i realised i still had plenty to learn and i have improved hugely by taking the excellent advice and tips on board.

I do agree that we should all try to be civil and kind to one another and yes sometimes posts from senior geeks aimed at newbies make me wince a bit.

But this is kthe most awesome resource. **To have access to people at the absolute top of their game is priceless**

Absolutely agree with this statement and good for you for re-kindling your appetite for beauty etc. Hope you go from strength to strength :Love:

Well said!

I totally agree with you and I was in a similar position as you. I had been in the industry for some time before finding this site and it has helped me immensely.

The thing to remember is that, even within our families, we argue with out closest but we get over that and forgive eachother. The same can happen here. I have had some humdingers with others on here over the years but we still are friends and respect eachother even more for it.

I agree that there is a divide now between SOME of the newer members and SOME of the older members but I was never one for gangs so I try to stay neutral on that one as much as possible. I would like to think I have helped a lot of newbies over the years become old and respected members now, who are, in turn, helping newbies themselves.

This forum is a living, breathing, family and with a little respect for the knowledge imparted from the longer lasting members, and in return a little memory of what it is like to be a newbie, we will stay that way! :wink2:

I could not agree more, I'm in a similar position where I trained 15 years ago and I have found this site is invaluable I love it!

My honest opinion, don't ask for advice if you don't want to hear any!!!! Lol. We are all hear to give support and share our knowledge and experiences with each other!!!!

I Love salon geek!!!! Thankyou!!!

I don't think it is just an oldies vs newbies thing.

The problem in my opinion is that many geeks (old and new) post on the salon geek site NOT to ask a question (not a real question anyway, as they have already made up their minds on what they are going to do) .. they post for validation and for others to agree with them so they feel better about the decision they have made to use, the wrong lamp for their system or to buy knock off products from fleabay or whatever dodgy practice they want to get up to. When they don't get what they want they are like babies and they spit their dummy out and throw their toys out of the pram and .... are a lot more rude and aggressive than any 'bracing replies' they get. (love that, bracing replies description lol)

The attitude seems to be that ... all suppliers are greedy and out to get them, and all they want is to take you money and run ... complete mistrust.

Unfortunately the fleabayers and the illegal suppliers that some use, are like that and are out to do all of those things. But genuine licensed suppliers who represent trusted companies that have been trading and innovating for 30 years or so are NOT like that and have a much longer-term commitment to their clients success and are there to offer support and education to help you not just themselves.

Sad that it is a cynical old world but even sadder that you see it in those so young!! Cynics used to be the oldies and the Victor Meldrews of this world not teens and 20 somethings.

This site in my opinion and the help given here is given abundantly, freely and with genuine empathy to those who have a real desire to excel and do well in their business. The 'messers' can leave the site .. it will be better off without them in all honesty.

With the entry level into the industry being so very low, it attracts all sorts ... in one way that is good for some but in another way it sure brings out the 'back yard barbies' and 'the kitchen mafia' types and those who want something for nothing and have nil understanding of the job, what it entails commitment-wise, how MUCH hard work it entails, how much foundation knowledge is needed , how much business knowledge is essential, how much skill it takes etc. if one really wants to be a success.

Those who understand all those things .. WELCOME.
Those who want to learn all those things ... WELCOME
Those who have no intention of doing either of those things ... please go somewhere else to play.

If people on here don't like the kind of "validation" questions being posted, or feel the question is from someone who lacks committment...then don't answer. Simple.
When people post they are not expecting anyone in particular to respond, so if you don't agree with the question I don't see why certain people feel the need to reply. If it really annoys them that much they should ignore the question...let someone else "validate" or give the answer, and whether the poster lacks committment or not, they will find their own way..you are not responsible for their success. Instead, concentrate on answering questions you feel are worth an answer, where you can offer positive knowledge and support.

As I newbie I just wanted to clarify, every question I have asked I have got replies for, and am grateful for, this "world of nails " is totally new to me, I love it and want to be the best I possibly can.
From reading different threads I thought oh thats harsh but from reading replies from this thread and last nights i now know where you are coming from am defo adapting the if you can't stand the heat stay out of the kitchen attitude. ( think that ones from you Geeg)😊

I am still training and I found this site by chance but I find myself here everyday. I have posted a few questions and answer any that I can. I Look forward to replies I may get on my thread and take it all in as I want to do well and advice and criticism from others is all good as it helps to see where you are going wrong and things that need improving.
I love this site and I am very grateful for all the advice and tips. I have learnt a few things I have not learnt in college too so it's good for me.

If people on here don't like the kind of "validation" questions being posted, or feel the question is from someone who lacks committment...then don't answer. Simple.
When people post they are not expecting anyone in particular to respond, so if you don't agree with the question I don't see why certain people feel the need to reply. If it really annoys them that much they should ignore the question...let someone else "validate" or give the answer, and whether the poster lacks committment or not, they will find their own way..you are not responsible for their success. Instead, concentrate on answering questions you feel are worth an answer, where you can offer positive knowledge and support.

Don't shoot me, but I don't agree with you at all.

People new to the business use this site to support their learning. If someone posts something which is obviously wrong and the experienced Geeks don't respond to it, then other new people may think it is correct and try the same thing. By the time the first poster finds out the error of their ways they may be responsible for many others also doing the wrong thing.

We have to trust that the info given is correct. I always go by the status of the person - Team, Admin, EA etc. This way I know I can trust the info given.

I was a 'Lurking Geek' (love it!) for quite a while before I proffered any advice here, even though I am pretty experienced, and would be mortified if I gave someone the wrong advice. I would be even more mortified if someone more experienced than me didn't pick me up on it because they didn't want to 'get involved'!

So, I would actually turn your comments around 'If you don't want to be told the truth (and many really don't) then don't post here'!

But as I said…don’t shoot me :Love:

I love this site.

But this is kthe most awesome resource. To have access to people at the absolute top of their game is priceless.

I love what you say here.

The enthusiasm and support shown on this website is very contagious and that's awesome :)

Doing something, (anything!) for 15 years would probably make someone slightly jaded because for everything that is great there will be a downside...maybe even 15 years of being a millionaire would have some kind of downside (I'm probably getting a bit too philosophical here to be fair lol)

The thing I love about beauty is that there's always something new to learn and that it can make customers feel good about themselves :)

Whilst I do stand by what I said last , I don't want to put of any newbies from asking thier questions.

However it does seem some are just looking for that "validation" and like it has been said when they don't get that become quite rude..I mean Im not going to say a currant..opps croissant lamp ;) is going to cure a product when I have no idea.

Not everyone agrees with everything which is good, it keeps the forum alive and we learn new things, try things different ways etc etc I myself have learned tons from here.

Anyway all this talk of food is making me hungry lol :) xx

I have learnt so much from this site, I really feel I owe so much to so many geeks who have helped and advised me, I wouldnt stop using it over crossed words or a disagreement with anyone else- its too valuable to be petty over tone which may or may not be in the text.

I would not be mortified if I gave the wrong advise, I would welcome the input from the person putting me straight. I would be mortified if I was wrong and nobody put me right.
Whatever anyone's status, we are all always learning more and even the most experienced may occasionally get things wrong- everyones human.

By correcting people or offering more effective solutions we all learn, so I welcome it when I am told I'm wrong and I think there are people who are a little too touchy, or a little defensive that should perhaps look at it from a different angle when they are told something they dont like, everyone is on here for support and to support others, nobody wants anyone else to fail and I think thats important to remember.
Sometimes it may be like getting a ticking off from a parent... your only being told for your own good!

This is a thread that raises itself on every forum.

Whether it be oldies v's newbies, cliques etc. etc.

Opinions are like a****, everyone had one.

If you may not like the answer to your question, don't ask it.

I have only recently come back to this site but I know that the benefits far outweigh any whinges people may have.

There are a lot of incredibly knowledgable people here who most of us can only aspire to be. If you want to be good then you do have to wind your neck in and take the advice you are given. Do not take it blindly, and it is only by questioning that you can fully understand something.

I think the issue is that when you know so much about something you take it for granted that it's obvious to everyone else and that you shouldn't be questioned. Then if questioned it's taken as an affront to your experience. Everyone has to start somewhere, and when you are at that somewhere stage things are often as clear as mud, with what seems like conflicting advice. It's only once you build up enough experience and confidence that you can see a way through and suddenly things make sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well said!

I totally agree with you and I was in a similar position as you. I had been in the industry for some time before finding this site and it has helped me immensely.

The thing to remember is that, even within our families, we argue with out closest but we get over that and forgive eachother. The same can happen here. I have had some humdingers with others on here over the years but we still are friends and respect eachother even more for it.

I agree that there is a divide now between SOME of the newer members and SOME of the older members but I was never one for gangs so I try to stay neutral on that one as much as possible. I would like to think I have helped a lot of newbies over the years become old and respected members now, who are, in turn, helping newbies themselves.

This forum is a living, breathing, family and with a little respect for the knowledge imparted from the longer lasting members, and in return a little memory of what it is like to be a newbie, we will stay that way! :wink2:

such wonderful and wise words... i am not a newbie or an oldie, am a middler I suppose and often I dont reply to things because I feel its not going to benefit the poster.

and SHE if you are having a gang can I be in it? (though you have said you dont do gangs).

tigi
(who will never stop being a huggie kissy person even if it annoys many)

The attitude seems to be that ... all suppliers are greedy and out to get them, and all they want is to take you money and run ... complete mistrust.

Unfortunately the fleabayers and the illegal suppliers that some use, are like that and are out to do all of those things. But genuine licensed suppliers who represent trusted companies that have been trading and innovating for 30 years or so are NOT like that and have a much longer-term commitment to their clients success and are there to offer support and education to help you not just themselves. .

I totally agree! Why do people contemplate it to death? these reputable companies spend TONS of money on research every year to provide us with amazing product systems. Why in the world would some back yard eBay merchant know more about the product chemistry of a product they don't even produce?!

I have to admit, sometimes I've been a bit hesitant to accept a few things, but have since realized this great point you have brought up.

Group Hug... :hug: I Feel the Love :lol:

Completely agree

Originally Posted by UneNoisette

It's all very well saying all that, but when I answer questions from new users, at that point I have no idea what their motive is in asking the questions (or usually I don't) at least not until they jump down my throat when they don't like an answer.:biggrin:

I do not ignore questions that I think I can help with and though not 'responsible' for someone else's success, I do like to be a part or someone else's success ... and I do feel a certain responsibility to make sure they get the right information. I have never been a part of this site to ask questions, I have always been here to answer them.

I love what you say here.

The enthusiasm and support shown on this website is very contagious and that's awesome :)

Doing something, (anything!) for 15 years would probably make someone slightly jaded because for everything that is great there will be a downside...maybe even 15 years of being a millionaire would have some kind of downside (I'm probably getting a bit too philosophical here to be fair lol)

The thing I love about beauty is that there's always something new to learn and that it can make customers feel good about themselves :)

If you could all just club together and let me have a couple of Million £'s I promise to report my findings to you all in 15 years :cool:

I will continue to use salon geek because...............the knowledge and understanding you get from this sight is amazing from very knowledgeable individuals who have been in the buisseness for many years and know all there is to know.I wouldn't have learned half of what I know in the short time I have been on here if it wasn't from salon geek and the geeks

I would not have purchased GEEGS book if t wasn't for this site as I wouldn't have known about it,which can I say is amazing.

I would not have made friends with so many people and had sooooo many laughs with others in the forums

I would have not found out about sooo many other funky lil tip bits to do with nails

This sight invites you into a whole new world of nails and getting ideas and better ways of doing things .

I love salon geek I have had my times don't get me wrong but on the whole I will keep using salon geek until a professional who has been in the industry a long time tells me to buy a CROISSANT shaped lamp :biggrin::wink2: xx

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back