Why is it called "cuticle oil"??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VHunter

Reaction score
This popped into my mind this morning.
WHY is Cuticle oil called "Cuticle oil"?

We remove the cuticle when we do enhancements.
It's non-living tissue that won't be affected.
The oil is used to condition the eponychium and the natural nail, and lubricate the enhancement to help prevent it from drying out.

So, if there is no cuticle, and that's not what the oil is used for...
then WHY do we call it 'Cuticle Oil"???

No wonder the public is so confused on so many issues.
We ourselves are guilty of misleading them when we say certain things.

Any ideas?:idea:

Maybe because clients wouldn't understand eponychium oil??:lol:

You know, Victoria, I never thought of that! Maybe it's an "olden day" throwback, when the eponychium was called the cuticle, and the cuticle called the "true cuticle". Or have I got that the wrong way round? Sorry, have a bit of a fever, but you know what I mean!:green:

We should simply call it "Nail conditioner", no?
It hydrates/conditions etc the natural nails and the artificial ones....

hmmmmm food for thought LOL

Food for thought indeed! Here's Wikipedia's definition...

In human anatomy, cuticle refers to the dead layers of epidermal cells or keratinocytes that produce the horn protein keratin, to the strip of dead skin cells at the base and sides of the fingernail, the eponychium and also to the superficial layer of overlapping cells covering the hair shaft (cuticula pili) that locks the hair into its follicle.

'The eponychium is the anatomical term for the human cuticle'

Has cuticle oil been around a lot longer than nail enhancement products and been used at the end of manicures anyway so it's original purpose has been as a treatment to help protect that area of the nail which is where the nail cells are produced?

I imagine it would be something that could be compared with the pharmaceutical industry, as in they have 'brand names' for medicines and pharmaceutical names...'eponychium oil' doesn't sound as good or as easy to remember as cuticle oil!

good info.... thanks.... nail conditioner is a term good term

I agree nail conditioner is a MUCH better term, as it does so much more than oil cuticles! However, many people have terrible cuticles that grow back really wuickly so yes it is still used for cuticles ... or prevention thereof!

I dont call it cuticle oil... but then I have my own line of it, I have blended for me 100% organic oils, with no perfumes, dyes or ickys.. I have it labled as "100% Organic Nail & Skin Conditioner"

i never refer to it as cuticle oil any more;just out of habit, its always solar oil lol!!:lol:

liquid GOOOLD more like.. I am fair flippen addicted!! I just looked at this threads name and reached for my pot!

I like nail conditioner.. but it is soo much more then that! Im really trying to drum in its importance to my girls.. (clients) but they look at me like im trying to sell them something shifty!! I thought about giving bottles to some and seeing if they come back for more.. but im already just making ends meet.. I know it makes all the difference.. now how do i prove it? hmm...

liquid GOOOLD more like.. I am fair flippen addicted!! I just looked at this threads name and reached for my pot!

I like nail conditioner.. but it is soo much more then that! Im really trying to drum in its importance to my girls.. (clients) but they look at me like im trying to sell them something shifty!! I thought about giving bottles to some and seeing if they come back for more.. but im already just making ends meet.. I know it makes all the difference.. now how do i prove it? hmm...

Build it into the price of their first full set of enhancements (works best on new clients obviously) give them a bottle (makes them feel like they are getting something for free but you have covered the cost in the price of your first full set) its a psychological thing, they receive it, told they must use it or their enhancements cannot be guaranteed... when they run out..they buy more.. simple.

Build it into the price of their first full set of enhancements (works best on new clients obviously) give them a bottle (makes them feel like they are getting something for free but you have covered the cost in the price of your first full set) its a psychological thing, they receive it, told they must use it or their enhancements cannot be guaranteed... when they run out..they buy more.. simple.

Classy... Claws!!
Brilliant! hadn't thought of that.. TY!

Classy... Claws!!
Brilliant! hadn't thought of that.. TY!

if your interested in your own line of oils, just contact an organic oil suppler. (you will have to research the types of oils and blend you need though) the bottles I have made up are 15mls brush applicator, total cost to me per bottle is about $2.50 (cheaper than a pinky of solar oil at cost! and 5 times the size) so I have no prob building that cost into their first set, and they have no probs paying $25 for a new bottle when they have used it all :wink2:

Latest posts

Back