Why is my free edge so thick?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amnoel27

Reaction score
Hi! I am new here and this is my first post. I started doing nails 5 months ago so I am very new to this business. I am learning how to use forms to extend the free edge. When I am finished, the portion of the free edge that was created using the clear gel is so thick. I looks as if the gel has gone between the natural nail and the form. Is this normal? Should the form be closer fitted to the natural nail? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Where did you train? What brand of gel are you using and is it intended for building strength?

You need to ensure the form fits snugly with the nail, that there is no gap. Most of the time when sculpting, I need to cut and adjust the form according to the nail so that it will fit properly. Perhaps you are attempting to fit the form on without cutting it to fit first?

Where did you train? What brand of gel are you using and is it intended for building strength?
I trained at Ottawa Academy of Beauty and Esthetics but they didn’t show me forms, just tips. I am learning on my own to use forms. I use Young Nails Synergy, Clear Sculptor for the extension and Concealer Pink and Whit to build the structure.

You need to ensure the form fits snugly with the nail, that there is no gap. Most of the time when sculpting, I need to cut and adjust the form according to the nail so that it will fit properly. Perhaps you are attempting to fit the form on without cutting it to fit first?
I didn’t cut them this time (it was on my own nails). But I have cut them in the past. Maybe because it was my own nails and I was putting them on one handed they didn’t fit properly. I did another set today on a client and they came out fine.

Try to make sure the form is flush with the free edge and secure on the finger as it may be moving during application and gel is seeping underneath the form.

Try to make sure the form is flush with the free edge and secure on the finger as it may be moving during application and gel is seeping underneath the form.
Thanks! Yes, I think that is what happened. It was on my own nails and I had a hard time putting the forms on my own fingers.

Latest posts

Back