Why is my hair so tangly?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amy_lou

Reaction score
I have always wondered this. Ever since I was little I remember my mum washing my hair and having to struggle to get the comb through it to dry it. I had a slight curl in my hair (at the ends) when younger and now when I was my hair I still have this problem. I didnt realise how bad it was until I blow dried my friends hair and the brush went through straight away! I have bleach blonde highlights, have long hair and try to look after it with good products and regular hairdresser visits but nothing seems to help! I have straight hair and its not frizzy. I can blow dry it and leave it without needing to straighten. Any advise guys why my hair is like this. It's like a fight with my hairbrush every time and detangler does nothing!! Thanks xx

I have always wondered this. Ever since I was little I remember my mum washing my hair and having to struggle to get the comb through it to dry it. I had a slight curl in my hair (at the ends) when younger and now when I was my hair I still have this problem. I didnt realise how bad it was until I blow dried my friends hair and the brush went through straight away! I have bleach blonde highlights, have long hair and try to look after it with good products and regular hairdresser visits but nothing seems to help! I have straight hair and its not frizzy. I can blow dry it and leave it without needing to straighten. Any advise guys why my hair is like this. It's like a fight with my hairbrush every time and detangler does nothing!! Thanks xx

Have you tried a tangle teezer , they work wonders I love mine!! Do you have regular cuts, this could be why?

Hi thanks for your reply. I do have a tangle teaser but I can't find it anywhere!! Will have to get another one but I don't think it worked that well. I always have a cut every other visit to the hairdressers - I get my roots done every four to five weeks. I have a trim usually as I have long hair and sometimes a couple of inches. My hair looks smooth though that's the confusing part it's not like frizzy hair!!! So confused why it does this. Then I brush and get knots and my hair ends up coming out x

Does your hairdresser pull the blonde highlights through to the ends each time? Maybe she overlaps the colour? What products do you use? It sounds like your hair is over processed X

Hi she only ever does the roots but last time I wanted a different tone blonde (more white than beige) so she put it through to the ends and used a toner wheras I usually have bleach just on the roots. I use goldwell dual senses for blondes and highlights and Aussie alternate washes. I use Moroccan oil too. Now and then use herbal essences coconut intensive conditioner. Do you have any good recommendations for me hun? It's also been tangle before I had colour in it. X

Hi she only ever does the roots but last time I wanted a different tone blonde (more white than beige) so she put it through to the ends and used a toner wheras I usually have bleach just on the roots. I use goldwell dual senses for blondes and highlights and Aussie alternate washes. I use Moroccan oil too. Now and then use herbal essences coconut intensive conditioner. Do you have any more advise for me? It's also been tangle before I had colour in it. X

She shouldn't put it through to the ends, it would have gone white just with the toner, I think it's over processed, only thing I can think why it's so tangly x

But I was having my roots done so I guess she put it through to make it lighter all over. Not sure how that all works but I'm having a full head next time so if she pulls the colour through will it ruin my hair and make more tangy? She said she increased the peroxide in the bleach to get it lighter but it's still no lighter than before really so if its going to damage my hair might aswell to back to the bleach i had before and no toner Xxx

I doubt it's due to being over processed if you had the same problem when you was a child. Was your hair long when you was little? Have you ever tried a shorter cut to see if that helps? X

Hi Lisa, that what I'm thinking its always been this way. Yes it was long as a child too, I did cut it short (shoulder length) once but I can't remember if that made a difference. My hairdresser always moans about my tangles too :( she has been my hairdresser for 11 years and she has always said how tangly it is. Used to blame it on chlorine from swimming but I don't swim anymore!! Maybe it's just the way my hair is but I always thought it would be frizzy hair with this problem! I should try having it short but I don't have the guts. X

Ps my mums hair is so thick and frizzy but I can brush it easily when wet yet mine is not frizzy and is fairly thick but no such luck of getting a brush through it. Tried brushing before I wash, once conditioner is on with a comb, before drying it and using detangler spray but still no luck! All my hairdresser says is to use Moroccan oil which helps it only very slightly x

I have this problem too!! And if I brush my hair half hour after doing it it's tangled already. It annoys me sooooo much. I have dyed dark hair and only ever have my roots done and I use Aussie products. But I don't have regular cuts. Could this be why?

Laura xx

Amy Lou

Hiya,
What leave in sprays have you tried?

Tigi SFactor do one that I use on my clients.
'Papaya Moisture spray' its great!
And try using a soft bristle brush too this will help alot and help prevent unnecessary damage caused trying to get the knots out!
Avoid supermarket bought shampoos as they can affect your hair.
Stick to a professional shampoo and conditioners - preferably a conditioner for dry hair.
After shampooing squeeze excess water out of your hair and apply just on your mid lengths and ends and use a wide tooth comb to spread it. Leave it on for at the very least 3 minutes :)
Also to make things easy make sure you rinse your hair the way it falls so not upside down or in the bath as this would make it worse x hth x

I have this problem too!! And if I brush my hair half hour after doing it it's tangled already. It annoys me sooooo much. I have dyed dark hair and only ever have my roots done and I use Aussie products. But I don't have regular cuts. Could this be why?

Laura xx

Hiya, How often do you get your hair cut?
If its a while ago you would notice a big difference in the condition of your hair if you got rid of your split ends X

Amy Lou

Hiya,
What leave in sprays have you tried?

Tigi SFactor do one that I use on my clients.
'Papaya Moisture spray' its great!
And try using a soft bristle brush too this will help alot and help prevent unnecessary damage caused trying to get the knots out!
Avoid supermarket bought shampoos as they can affect your hair.
Stick to a professional shampoo and conditioners - preferably a conditioner for dry hair.
After shampooing squeeze excess water out of your hair and apply just on your mid lengths and ends and use a wide tooth comb to spread it. Leave it on for at the very least 3 minutes :)
Also to make things easy make sure you rinse your hair the way it falls so not upside down or in the bath as this would make it worse x hth x

Hi Hun thank you so much for your reply its so helpful! I use Toni and guy detangler serum and also tangle tamer in a red bottle but can't remember who it's by but it's like a leave in conditioner ! Is Aussie shampoo no good then? Goldwell is a professional one but that's more for toning brassiness. Can I buy the one you suggested on beauty bay? I use beauty bay for goldwell as can't buy it from boots etc. I will try that trick with the conditioner which one do you suggest is Aussie ok? Ill get a wide tooth comb don't have one at present :) I always rinse my hair upside down oops x

Hiya, How often do you get your hair cut?
If its a while ago you would notice a big difference in the condition of your hair if you got rid of your split ends X

Not often at all!! Every 4-5 months maybe. But I don't really have any split ends. I blow dry my hair once it's nearly fully dry so it's not frizzy. But don't use any other heat. And I have it tied up everyday for work. I also use heat protector spray for blow drying. I'm
A bit obsessed haha.

Laura xx

Not often at all!! Every 4-5 months maybe. But I don't really have any split ends. I blow dry my hair once it's nearly fully dry so it's not frizzy. But don't use any other heat. And I have it tied up everyday for work. I also use heat protector spray for blow drying. I'm
A bit obsessed haha.

Laura xx

Book in for a cut and see if it helps ;) x

Hi Hun thank you so much for your reply its so helpful! I use Toni and guy detangler serum and also tangle tamer in a red bottle but can't remember who it's by but it's like a leave in conditioner ! Is Aussie shampoo no good then? Goldwell is a professional one but that's more for toning brassiness. Can I buy the one you suggested on beauty bay? I use beauty bay for goldwell as can't buy it from boots etc. I will try that trick with the conditioner which one do you suggest is Aussie ok? Ill get a wide tooth comb don't have one at present :) I always rinse my hair upside down oops x

Oohh that will make a big difference then!
Sometimes purple shampoos can dry your hair out so you could try alternating that with another one?
I don't know whats in aussie brand shampoo and Ive not heard of beauty bay but could you get them from your hairdresser next time you get your roots done?
I use Loreal serie expert vitamino colour shampoo- they do different ones for different hair types.
If you do a search on the hair forum there are lots of threads about shampoos and the difference they make to your hair (with other recommendations) x

(If your hairdresser can get Joico K-Pak, their range are fab!)

When my hair starts to tangle a lot after washing I know that's when it needs a cut.

You should def get it cut more often than 4/5 months, it'll really help if you get it cut every 6-8 weeks x

Latest posts

Back