Why is Salon Geek full of FACTS!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I gather people prefer to work with minimal training, and I am just an " old dog" who ain't learnt new tricks.
By continually answering questions I am feeling that I am aiding and abetting the shocking lack of proper learning that is presented as normal.
Like I say, at the wrong party.

I think your quality and talent stands it up for itself - no one could ever read your posts and not believe you are a brilliant professional - those who choose to think otherwise...well it's their loss.

Could we all start talking about hair, beauty and nails again please?

i too think SG is fb, i could spend hours trawling through the archives.. there is so much information to be found there.
i cannot believe the attitude of some people though they have the likes of geeg and mum (amoungst others)here...well what they don't know about nails isn't worth knowing......free reign to pick their brains . do they appreciate it? :mad:
and there are other well experienced geeks on the other forums too and their advise gets ignored or dismissed sometimes.
talk about not seeing the woods for the trees!!

Thanks for the mention. I take a lot of pride in our industry and my skills, and am feeling a bit down about some of the things I'm reading on here.
This site has really opened my eyes to the degeneration of the industry. We are lucky to have several really good hair geeks who are passionate about their salons. The rest seem to want to know the minimum required to fleece a few quid off the public at the earliest opportunity.

I'm not sure that I'm at the right party.
Sorry.

The Hair Forum is still strange territory for me, and it really did take ages before it really took off, therefore it was quiet, with hardly any controversy!

I remember 1 great geek Minky who seemed to be the more 'learned' hair geek who seemed to answer everything, but it does take up a lot of time and if your information falls on deaf ears it can be disheartening.
I think Minky would be pleased if she saw how the Hair Forum has now flourished!

Now there are more and more Hair Geeks joining the site, and with than can come disagreements, but that is part of community life.

I see you and Bluerinse amongst a lot of helpful Hair Geeks who tell it like it is, yes some of your posts fall on deaf ears, and of course some of the things posted on here can make you despair for an Industry you love (I know that feeling in the Nail Forum)...but what about all the lurkers that are reading these posts and do act upon and take on board your wisdom and experience ?
I think the silent majority out there get forgotten, but it is sometimes them that keep me going on here.
I mean someone has to think I know what I am talking about don't they?

Most of the " hair pros" have done a one day hair ext course. There are very few real hair pros on here. It's mainly office workers who are trying to earn a few quid on the side. Makes a mockery of the term hair pro.

If people are convinced my job is so easy, then nothing I type will change that, and I am bored of trying.

Pretty soon this site will be " amateur geek"

Most of the " hair pros" have done a one day hair ext course. There are very few real hair pros on here. It's mainly office workers who are trying to earn a few quid on the side. Makes a mockery of the term hair pro.

If people are convinced my job is so easy, then nothing I type will change that, and I am bored of trying.

I totally disagree with you here Persianista, I am not a glass half full person by any manner of means but I am not as pessimistic as you seem to be at the moment ;)

The same could be said in the Nail Forum that it is full of hobbyists and people who do a 1 day course in nails to do 'on the side' but the real pro's keep on posting and some of these hobbyists end up in further training and making a real contribution to this site and the Industry.

I think that this site is still around and has evolved into it's current format is proof positive that there are still people out there who want to give something back and that there are loads more who want to learn.

Nothing worse than paying £500+ to be called an amateur!
Hair extensions are not, in my mind, comparable to brain surgery. So maybe, with the right background knowledge, common sense and practise, a one-day course for the art of hair extension suffices?
..I'm studying for my English degree, to become an English teacher but live to do beauty bits on the side. I do not feel it is fair that people like me and do many others on salon geek are referred to as amateurs just because we dedicate our lives between beauty and something else.

If one day courses were SO bad, I'm pretty sure habia WOULDN'T approve them.

xxx

*love to do

Pardon! x

Hair extensions are not, in my mind, comparable to brain surgery. So maybe, with the right background knowledge, common sense and practise, a one-day course for the art of hair extension suffices?
..I'm studying for my English degree, to become an English teacher but live to do beauty bits on the side. I do not feel it is fair that people like me and do many others on salon geek are referred to as amateurs just because we dedicate our lives between beauty and something else.

xxx
I rest my case. Think it's best that I give this site a rest.

Totally agree. I think another forum she be opened just for extensions. Or add another option on profiles as these people are not hair pros they learnt how to apply extensions not why hair is a certain way hair structure etc etc etc (i could go on all day)

I've been hairdressing for 10 years and will ask questions about both hair services and extensions. Yet i get scared to read extension topics now as it leads back to hair pros thinking the industry should be regulated.

I love this site as sometimes i can ask a basic question (being mobile when your mind goes blank someone on here can always fill in the pieces)

I love the fact that lots of people don't sugar coat answers and appreciate that someone has taken time out of there day to help me. Direct honest answers might not please everyone but i would rather have a blunt (what some people see as harsh or rude) answer that is right then be given the wrong answer in a sugar coated way.

xxx

This thread is not about one day courses or the differences between hairdressers and hair extensionists, there are plenty other threads about that ;)

For me though an amatuer is someone who is carrying out treatments for enjoyment (after training obviously) and not as their liveliehood.
A professional to me is a fully trained individual running a business and making a living from their trade.

Amateur is therefore not a dergatory term and may well fit your situation, but as I say I do not want this thread to go off topic...well not too far lol!

xxx

Without this coming across the wrong way...... can you actually cut hair?

xxx

With respect, it takes a great deal more than spending a few hundred pounds to be able to be considered a professional.

Indeed, your very post illustrates a lot that the hair and beauty industries have, and continue to, fight against: 'not comparable to brain surgery', no we're not working with peoples' brains but that just reinforces the stereotype that every hairdresser/therapist is a bit of a thick dolly. Lots of our members - hair, skin and nail - have invested their whole careers in becoming the best, most experienced therapists/hairdressers that they can be. A lot are highly skilled and educated technicians who continue to train and learn.

To dismiss them and their knowledge is sad and only serves to reinforce the view that the industries are dumbing down.

I love this site as sometimes i can ask a basic question (being mobile when your mind goes blank someone on here can always fill in the pieces)

I love the fact that lots of people don't sugar coat answers and appreciate that someone has taken time out of there day to help me. Direct honest answers might not please everyone but i would rather have a blunt (what some people see as harsh or rude) answer that is right then be given the wrong answer in a sugar coated way.

.......and back on topic !

This is exactly what I mean, and some answer on here can be blunt and to the point.
Sometimes it is just because the poster is on their phone or between clients, but surely the right anser is still the best answer no matter how it is put across?
In the ideal world we would all manage to keep everyone happy with our posts, but we all know that isn't going to happen anytime soon! :wink2:

Just to add i know absolutely nothing about skin care yet asked a question in the skin forum on Sunday and was given the advice needed even though the people answering wouldn't get a new client, commission etc.
A big thank you to them for taking time out of their weekend to answer x

I rest my case. Think it's best that I give this site a rest.

Don't you dare!!! :green:

I have always admired and respected your knowledge of this industry, especially the business side, and it's people like you who make this site the success and positive influence it is!

We are lucky here to have a great SG team, and have some of the industry's biggest names who contribute, but it's people like you, your knowledge and experience which really makes SG work.

So I repeat - don't you dare go anywhere - please :hug:

ETA: Oh and this ^^^ is why Salon Geek is so full of FACTS :)

Just to add i know absolutely nothing about skin care yet asked a question in the skin forum on Sunday and was given the advice needed even though the people answering wouldn't get a new client, commission etc.
A big thank you to them for taking time out of their weekend to answer x

Excellent that you got the answers you want, that is what we do here after all!
However if you are not a skin geek and you want to ask a question then the Consumer Queries forum is specifically for that, therefore your thread was actually moved there, as was another thread regarding spray tanning!

Rules are rules lol!

Excellent that you got the answers you want, that is what we do here after all!
However if you are not a skin geek and you want to ask a question then the Consumer Queries forum is specifically for that, therefore your thread was actually moved there, as was another thread regarding spray tanning!

Rules are rules lol!

Ha ha not a problem can you tell i only look at hair, biz and cafe.

Like i said in the tanning post i done level 2 beauty 10 years ago but know i really don't know the first thing about beauty as I've never worked in it.
Which is why i love all advice given on this site.

Ps slap on the wrist for me for posting in the wrong forums xx

Without this coming across the wrong way...... can you actually cut hair?

No I can't cut hair, I've never done hairdresser training, as I went straight from school to uni and couldn't have spent 2 years at college studying hairdressing, all I want to do is extensions and maybe go on to do other beauty courses. One day courses are a god send for me as I cannot spend time doing long courses simply for something I will be doing in my spare time.

xxx

No I can't cut hair, I've never done hairdresser training, as I went straight from school to uni and couldn't have spent 2 years at college studying hairdressing, all I want to do is extensions and maybe go on to do other beauty courses. One day courses are a god send for me as I cannot spend time doing long courses simply for something I will be doing in my spare time.

xxx

This is going to come across awful, and I don't mean to be nasty, but it's really not professional to be applying hair extensions and not being able to cut them in afterwards. There are a lot of people doing this out there to earn a quick buck.

Just because something is approved by HABIA doesn't mean the course is any good. I'm pretty sure they don't check every course out there.

This is the point that Persianista is trying to put across.... It takes years to be a brilliant hairdresser, and I think I'm right in thinking she does extensions as well, and it's awful to think that people out there are doing one day courses in applying extensions but not having the knowledge of hair and how to cut it! You are doing your clients a dis-service.

I've had extensions and I would have been appalled if I'd had someone put them in for me and then said 'there you go, sorry but I'm not trained to cut hair and blend them in'.

xxx

Case in point.

Without wishing to turn this into another bandwagon-jumper vs professional debate (sorry izzidoll!) but you are doing your clients and the professional hair and beauty industries no favours what-so-ever.

Can't you see why half-service hobbyists like yourself get to the real pros?

Extension services and nail enhancements, etc done properly are not bargainously cheap - as a client I'd have kittens if the person couldnt do a proper job :eek:

Latest posts

Back