Why is Salon Geek full of FACTS!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

izzidoll

Strictly Scottish Geek!
Premium Geek
Reaction score
I don't know if any of you are members of other Industry Forums and support groups on other social networking sites, there are more and more popping up every day :eek:
Whilst I don't see this as a bad thing, I look at these other groups and all I see are adverts for products, PR from product companies, and the odd question, with sometimes very conflicting answers, and that worries me.

Here on SG we have rules regarding advertising, and although we encourage members from product companies to post advice we have them disclose their own connection/interests and I think that is a good thing.

Also following on from my other thread we do have some of the 'big names' from the Industry on here, like Marian Newman (mum) , and our own Geeg...with contributions from Doug Schoon occasionally.;)
We also have Salon owners, who have been around the block a few times, and some very keen business brains Lynne Baker and Persianista spring to mind here.

There are countless others I could name who give of their time and experience to help on this site, and all give factual, constructive advice.

Factual, constructive advice, is not always what people want, but it is what they need to get on in this Industry, especially in tough economic times.

Isn't it better to be a part of a site that is like a community, has rules, and gives out information based on facts, that you can trust?

I guess the reason geek flourishes is as you say FACT overrides fiction

We don't allow emotion and 'upsetting' someones delicate opinion override truth in an answer ...

I participate in other forums, geek is the only one that is not tainted by opinion and emotional reaction when a response is asked for...

Thanks sam, Geeg and all the founders and contributors for allowing reality a chance to breath

In a world where common sense is not common I choose to come here ;)

I think that so many people get something out of Salon Geek that they are prepared to give something back and therefore there is some good advice.
There are the odd ones that give some bad advice but someone always comes along and corrects them.

I think that so many people get something out of Salon Geek that they are prepared to give something back and therefore there is some good advice.
There are the odd ones that give some bad advice but someone always comes along and corrects them.

Totally agree, having been corrected a few time myself :o !

That is what worries me when I see other groups starting up, like a nail student forum, for them all to share information!
Surely that is a recipe for disaster ? Students need to be taught facts, and even some College courses don't know the facts, so what kind of information will they be sharing on there?:Scared:
Of course I can only speculate, as they may have some great qualified experienced techs within that group who will know their stuff...but I still worry!

I get a bit annoyed, im full of facts, but i seem to get overlooked for someone who doesnt understand whats goin on.... I find if there is something i dont know, im quite inquisative to research the hell outa it to find out more about it. At the end of the day, we're constantly learning new things, skills, techniques, habitis. some newbie posters do not seem to comprehend, but we've all been there so il try to give the benefit of the doubt. But it is fustrating!!!! xoxo

I much prefer a community with rules, seasoned professionals, a diverse group of people and the like. This site is a great training aid to use alongside your education and experience.

I wouldnt want a hard sell and whilst i do sometimes wince at the 'manner' of some replies i actually think you need to use your intelligence and understand the advice and guidance
you've been given and not focus on how it has been said.

I'm not a great fan of unmanaged so to speak forums because i fear that there could be a lot of misinformation and incorrect learning going on. I like the security that geek gives you of more knowledgable members being on line to quell and quash incorrect advice etc.

In turn as has been said above being privvy to this and lucky to have something as well thought out, maintained and 'managed' for want if a better word as geek, i do indeed agree that it makes you want to pay it forward in the future.

I also think, and this is coming from a more sensitive geek here, that for people who think they dont want to post or leave to find another forum or set up fb groups expressing their annoyance at geek, should stick with this forum. We all have our different ways of expression etc etc but in the end the most important thing you need from a forum is fact.

Great thread btw x x x

Last edited:
I much prefer a community with rules, seasoned professionals, a diverse group of people and the like. This site is a great training aid to use alongside your education and experience.

I wouldnt want a hard sell and whilst i do sometimes wince at the 'manner' of some replies i actually think you need to use your intelligence and understand the advice and guidance
you've been given and not focus on how it has been said.

I'm not a great fan of unmanaged so to speak forums because i fear that there could be a lot of misinformation and incorrect learning going on. I like the security that geek gives you of more knowledgable members being on line to quell and quash incorrect advice etc.

In turn as has been said above being privvy to this and lucky to have something as well thought out, maintained and 'managed' for want if a better word as geek, i do indeed agree that it makes you want to pay it forward in the future.

I also think, and this is coming from a more sensitive geek here, that for people who think they dont want to post or leave to find another forum or set up fb groups expressing their annoyance at geek, should stick with this forum. We all have our different ways of expression etc etc but in the end the most important thing you need from a forum is fact.

Great thread btw x x x

Very well put as usual Laura xx

Really good points made.

I think that the Internet is such a huge, and largely ungoverned, instrument that for any forum/review centre/ advice site search one does, the bad pops up along with the good.

It's up to the user to select the good from the bad.....but I thank geek I found SG!

Last edited:

Great thread btw x x x

Have people actually set up fb groups for that? Oh, dear...

Have people actually set up fb groups for that? Oh, dear...
Wow, a two-second search thows up a few pages.

It's actually quite sad. We have, quite literally, a world of expertise at our fingertips here, and in quite a few fields. It's an amazing resource!

I flit on and off but I love catching up, seeing what everyone's doing - all the new treatments, etc - and excellent, professional advice.

And it's free!?

Wow, a two-second search thows up a few pages.

It's actually quite sad. We have, quite literally, a world of expertise at our fingertips here, and in quite a few fields. It's an amazing resource!

I flit on and off but I love catching up, seeing what everyone's doing - all the new treatments, etc - and excellent, professional advice.

And it's free!?

Very sad. I can't believe people have put So much energy into something just because most likely they didn't like the answer they were given. Sensitive little souls.

Great thread Izzi :hug:

I love and trust this site 100%.

I love that there are rules and geeks are straight talking. As already mentioned if you reply to a thread and the information you have given is incorrect, you will be corrected, which is how it should be... how else can we all learn?

I know some feel the replies are harsh at times, but you just can't argue with FACTS. You need to get past emotions and think of this site as an educational tool (which is what it is)... think of the professionals on the site like your teachers in school, you hated some of them while you were there, but when you left and grew up, you realised they were saints and did it all for your own good. :wink2:

Where else would you get this type of education? (and it's all FREE)

I've seen other forums and certain pages on facebook, but they don't interest me.

I have all I need right here on this site :Love:

I am new to SG and value and respect the experience and skills that other Professionals share , I have found SG to be hugely helpful and tutorials and advice given freely priceless ..... And I hope to reach the degree of expertise as Geeg and so many others as I share a love and passion for doing things well without any shortcuts..

So a massive thanks to SG as I personally cannot thank it enough ::Kissing::Kissing:

Wow, thank you for the mention!
I've never considered myself to be a great business brain; I just have a mortgage that won't pay itself so I have no choice but to be successful.
I learn something new every day, and most of it is from here.
:)

I find it extremely worrying the level of misinformation out there on t'internet. And I'm not talking just with nails, hair & beauty but anything and everything. The worldwide web was such an amazing "invention" and opened us up to this incredible ability to look at, read and learn about anything we can possibly think of from the comfort of our own home but at the same time this also opened us up to dangers from misinformation.

I like to think I have a good amount of common sense, I'm far from Einstein levels of intellect but I'm also not as gullible as perhaps some others in the world. (Although my mother would probably disagree with that statement if it involved me watching adverts on telly about products I NEED to have because they're so amazing! :) )

So I do find it a worry as people read things and believe what they read to be TRUE and FACT and I think many sites and forums could actually learn a thing or two from this one.

I got on my soapbox on a thread in chit chat about medicine being recommended for a quick fix weight loss solution and my point for that was not to belittle the poster or make him/her feel bad but to make sure that there was an argument against if you like and point out the dangers, as I know this site prides itself on factual and correct advice and information being given at all times.

Like others have said, how will we learn if we run off upset or offended every time someone says well actually you're wrong, or that needs work or no, you're not using the right techniques, for example? I was guilty of that when I first joined but quickly learnt that this site is unique, it's not personal, I was being told the truth.

Salon Geek Rocks and this is one of the main reasons why. And thank goodness I found it and thank goodness for the amazing people on it, from the Sweets themselves to the Guides, the mods and all the amazing people that contribute........god bless this place :Love:

Thanks for the mention. I take a lot of pride in our industry and my skills, and am feeling a bit down about some of the things I'm reading on here.
This site has really opened my eyes to the degeneration of the industry. We are lucky to have several really good hair geeks who are passionate about their salons. The rest seem to want to know the minimum required to fleece a few quid off the public at the earliest opportunity.

I'm not sure that I'm at the right party.
Sorry.

If I ever need the answer to something trade related this is the first place I look, I search through the old threads before I ask and 99% of the time get what I am looking for.

I trust a good percentage of the members on here and when they say or post something I believe and feel confident that what I am reading is the case.

Too many great members to mention and wouldn't want to leave anyone out but there is a great knowledge base on SG and although there are disagreements at times it is still up there with the best.

My only negative would be there are not too many massage therapists on the site but hey you can't win them all:Love:

I would not want to be part of a forum where we all agreed - How boring would that be! LOL

I want to be able to give my opinion freely, and if I am right I would appreciate being acknowledged but I also want to be corrected if I am wrong, I don't mind being corrected bluntly, as long as the person doing is actually right.

Being corrected by someone who knows more than me is the main reason I am part of Salon Geek, I am not sure why else I would be involved - Is that selfish of me?

x

Thanks for the mention. I take a lot of pride in our industry and my skills, and am feeling a bit down about some of the things I'm reading on here.
This site has really opened my eyes to the degeneration of the industry. We are lucky to have several really good hair geeks who are passionate about their salons. The rest seem to want to know the minimum required to fleece a few quid off the public at the earliest opportunity.

I'm not sure that I'm at the right party.
Sorry.

But without geeks like yourself and the others who are incredibly... I don't want to say passionate :o but proud of the industry and training standards where would we be?

I've read quite a few posts by yourself over the past few days and in each one your pride is clear for all to see. We need that here, not to mention all your experience and excellent advice - it does not go unnoticed.

I gather people prefer to work with minimal training, and I am just an " old dog" who ain't learnt new tricks.
By continually answering questions I am feeling that I am aiding and abetting the shocking lack of proper learning that is presented as normal.
Like I say, at the wrong party.

Latest posts

Back