Why its hard to recruit?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

six

Reaction score
I noticed a few threads here saying its difficult to recruit hairdressers. My junior pointed the below out to me only the other day.

1/ You train for years to qualify only to discover as soon as you start at a salon you are on the bottom rung of pay with all the crappy jobs & crappy customers no-one else wants.

2/ 1 clients colour (mobile) will earn you the same pay as a full day in a salon, why knock yourself out for a salon when you can make good money on your own mobile?

3/ All other tradesmen/women receive a good hourly rate when qualified, why dont we, we're a trade right?

Needless to say i doubt she will be with us any length of time :rolleyes: however she did make some very good points & i thought it would raise quite an interesting debate here on the forum.

i have never understood why the pay for hair and beauty is so bad ! it took me 2 rs for hair & 1 yr for beauty , if i had done a 3 yr course in anything else i would be on good money , but not for this industry , lol
have to say though i do it coz i like my job , it aint all about money :green:

For Centuries..hairstylist/ beauty techs etc. were labeled a frivolous job.
Bubblegum chewing ditzy brained woman that do hair and nails..How hard could that be???

Back then..there wasn't alot of schooling..in fact I don't think there was any for hair messers and If you were in the business, you did it all. Nails, feet and hair!
You learned from another one that had been in the business for awhile. You never heard about women ,back then, going to school for it.

We were on our knees bowing to clients needs.
We had a glamorous job. Not a serious one.

Times have changed thank god. We now have more technology in the trade. We now call it a Career.

We are slowly but surely gaining. But still it lingers that tag of being a "hairdresser" the blonde bimbo snapping her bubble gum.
It takes our own image of ourselves to get paid what we are worth and be proud of it.

Don't sell yourself short. You are intelligent and deserve the pay that comes with it.

This is one thing I HATE about our job. Its not fair.

I am seriously thinking of leaving this business and getting a job in a shop. I could probably earn more and not have half the hassle I get now!!!

It really gets under my skin that all my friends are on much more than me having only been working full time for 2 years maximum and I've been working hard for 8 years and they start on a better wage.

Does my love for the job outway my need for money now I'm married and want to start a family in the future? Honest answer.... I don't know!

I am seriously thinking of leaving this business and getting a job in a shop. I could probably earn more and not have half the hassle I get now!!!

Sweetcorn:
have you read my byline on the bottom of my posts?

Success starts within yourself.

Here is a story..and a very very true one..

Before I bought the salon, I worked there for 6 years. There was one girl there named..let's call her J. J was into drugs and partying.Had a small child.
She never had any clientele. Stuck around for walk ins. Low charging prices for her services.

When the owner retired and I was able to buy the salon, I was taken aside by another stylist that was also going to retire and she told me that she saw a lot of potential in J and to keep her as a stylist. Well I had my serious doubts but agreed that I would keep her on for 1 year.

That was 5 years ago..J now out charges all of us in services and is busy 8 -10 hrs..per day..5 days a week.

So what changed?

Her attitude. I threatened and scolded her so much about her attitude and told her that drugs were not a part of my salon. I picked her up when she fell and told her to try again. I was woken up a 3 am in the morning with her crying because she felt she couldn't make it on her own.
She had all the skills and knowledge, she just lacked the "I am good at what I do and I deserve the money!! I am a Professional!" Attitude
She boosted her own self esteem and it showed in her work.

Those who feel that they are lowly because they are in the Beauty field need to change that thinking.

Charge what you feel you are worth not what you think the customer is willing to pay.
Cause I tell you what..the customer, if they like your work,they trust you, they will pay almost anything.

this i agree with its us in the industry that have to change the wage of hair stylist if you want good stylist to stay you have to pay above the going rate or they will walk in the end as you say the clients will pay more if they know they are going to get a service they trust and like i think it got to a stage where profit is more important than good quality staff where really if you get good quality staff you will make profit and a good working atmosphere

It really gets under my skin that all my friends are on much more than me having only been working full time for 2 years maximum and I've been working hard for 8 years and they start on a better wage.

Does my love for the job outway my need for money now I'm married and want to start a family in the future? Honest answer.... I don't know!

I've worked in retail since I left school, part time during school then went into management. Trust me, you get a lot more hassle and the job satisfaction is nill!

Yeah I completely get your point Jayne and what a fantastic story. Good on you and her for making it.

The problem with me is that I think I have lost my hairdressing spark.:cry:

I don't trust my collegues or have any support from my boss and i'm fed up and to be honest think I want out.

I've been handing out my cv to salons to see if I can get a new job to see if that brings my spark back but nothing yet. Its dragging me down where I am and I don't know what to do.

Not a happy bunny right now.:confused:

Yeah I completely get your point Jayne and what a fantastic story. Good on you and her for making it.

The problem with me is that I think I have lost my hairdressing spark.:cry:

I don't trust my collegues or have any support from my boss and i'm fed up and to be honest think I want out.

I've been handing out my cv to salons to see if I can get a new job to see if that brings my spark back but nothing yet. Its dragging me down where I am and I don't know what to do.

Not a happy bunny right now.:confused:

Hi Sweetcorn
When i feel like im losing the love for it i take a course & it always picks me up. The most recent being 'perfect blondes' with Matrix, give a course a try, it really helps :wink2:
Synergy, Salon services & sally's always have a list of whats available, also you could branch into something new, its only in the last 6 months ive got involved with 'Nails' & im loving the change, best wishes to you whatever you decide :hug:

Hairdressing can be pretty tough on the pocket and low wages. I would not advise any body to do it unless they loved it (That makes a big difference)

If you are good at something you will always make money at it.(providing you charge as JDs says what you are worth)

I have often heard customers complaining about the Hairdressing prices:irked:
I don't even bother to justify it anymore because they have a choice.
and I say life is all about choices:)

They seem to think you make all that money and don't have any overheads
I once had someone say to me oh well you can just play at this job cant you :eek:?grrrrr

do people think you are going to say no I'm really on the bones of my ass:lol:

I agree it can get to you sometimes, but then your fave customer comes in and it all seems to be a little better :hug:

you can please some of em some of the time but you cant please all of em all of the time.

and it takes all kinds to make a world
and **** happens ,

but Sweetcorn don't give up cos you've got us Geekies:hug:

Hi Sweetcorn
When i feel like im losing the love for it i take a course & it always picks me up.

Six, You took the words right out of my mouth!!! :D

Sweetcorn, chin up Girl! Go get yourself a class..on updos, coloring, cutting..
To learn something new gives you a spark which turns into a fire burning under you.

We have just invested as a salon in a series of Matrix class that they come into the salon and give us a class on hair coloring techniques. Placement. We are all very excited over this. Just in time once again as I was really starting to get burned out..

I will try and post some to get everyone else jazzed up to try something new..

It can be tough to keep the fire going when you are in a depressing place of work.
Keep looking, if it was meant to be, it will happen but usually not when we want it too, like yesterday! :hug::hug::hug:

Something will change Sweetcorn, trust in it and yourself and it will happen.

Hi, as a former Union rep, I can say that in my experience, the majority of blame can be put at the feet of salon owners, keeping the profits and paying staff a pittance because they can.

I have encountered so many cases where the owner's attitude has been "but that's the norm"... etc etc.

Call me critical, but believe me, in the job I had, I seen a lot, I've lost count of the amount of salon owners I have seen own the large houses, drive around in the expensive cars and swear blind they can't afford to pay their staff extra. Owners that value and pay their staff well are few and far between. One particular complaint that I dealt with stands out in my head was about A very expensive salon in Belfast (who will remain nameless) that had staff problems. When I went to see them I could not believe that their beauty manager, who had excellent training, 15 years experience, was punctial, polite etc was getting 20p an hour above mininum wage. When she dared asked for a rise based on her responsibilities, she was given the 'if you don't like it you can leave' attitude. She did, not only her job, but the industry permantly. AndI can't blame her. I tried to negotiate on her behalf, but arrogant pig wouldn't budge. His attitude may have been extreme compared to most, but the underlying un-willingness to pay exists throughout the industry all the same.

You only need to take a look around you and see that the mojority of workers in salons, both hair and beauty, are young. That is proof in itself. People who do not progress to ownership do not stick it out for the simple reason that it is soul destroying.

I know I'm starting to rant now, but it is about time that the owners of these salons start taking responsibility for their actions. Not everyone can be managers or owners. We all need people to cut hair, clean the streets, work in shops etc. For all of you salon owners out there that take advantage of your staff, I place the blame solely on YOU for giving the industry a bad name. Stop shirking your responsibilities and pay the bloody wages good workers deserve.

I rest my case.

Well I have to admit that my experience of a salon owner was quite shocking. I only rented a room for beauty stuff and wasn't paid by her but saw what went on.

She was a soured face cow to be honest, she treated her staff like dirt, they weren't allowed to take proper lunch breaks or go outside for lunch, about 3 girls walked out whilst I was there, they were always in tears, never smiled. She never spoke to them unless it was a bollicking, paid peanuts. When you walked into the salon there wasn't a friendly welcome just a horrible atmosphere. Whenever she took cheques from customers she always made sure that the payee was left blank and then gave these to my friend as her pay, so that she would have to bank them and wait for them to clear or not whilst the owner took the cash. My weekly room rent had to be in cash! I also found out later (after my friend finally left) that she was charging her rent for her chair and VAT and my friend wasn't VAT registered (hope she's done something about that like dropped her in it)! Apparently she also took one girl to court who dared leave and work over 10 miles away taking some customers with her, this girl ended up getting divorced because of it and loosing her house.

Still I'm glad to say that since my friend has left (she was the one who brought the customers in and was always busy, always friendly) her salon is now empty 90% of the time, just waiting for her to close down now - would serve her right too.

From what I've heard most salon owners are like this.

The salon owner lived in a penthouse and drove a merc.

I'm glad to say that my friend has now found a wonderful place to work and she can come and go as she pleases, set her own prices, the atmosphere is so friendly and laid back, and what a difference it's made to her happiness.

Deb379

Oh my, You guys really paint a beautiful picture of salon owners.

I am a boothrental salon owner but have worked in this industry from the dust in the streets up to where I am at now.
My boothrenters make a better wage than I do. I don't go getting upset and raise their rent..I love to see these stylist "make it" They work hard. They deserve the money.

I have seen the "attitude" in the salon owners and base my running the salon in what I didn't like in the other salon owners. but as far as wages..reality is that you have to start somewhere.

I worked many years at the min. wage. In return, the salon owner got me clientele, provided all my product for me, gave me hours to work, provided and paid for all ulitities, took care of payroll, kept the salon clean, sent me to education hair classes every 3 months...
allowed me to get my hair done for free, tanning beds were provided, christmas parties, was recongnized on my birthday. In return, they set my hours i needed to work and paid me minimum wage.

sometimes it is all the "little" things that a salon owner does that goes un noticed or "Taken for Granted"b Think about it. There is alot of behind the scenes crap that YOU as a employee does ot see. All the employee sees is what is on the surface, the big house, the nice car...the vacations...

And there are those salon owners who do treat their employees like slaves. These are the salons that have the 'reputation" and have a high turnover rate.But hey...
If they can still open their doors everyday, so be it. Just make sure, you yourself don't go and work there. eh?
Only once did a salon owner come unglued at me, but she was unbalanced anyways. That very day, I walked out. My choice.

And if you don't like the pay, you do have the choice of moving on to somewhere else. Just like in any job. This is life guys. Get over it and get on with it.

Wow, quite the debate!! School owners and instructors are often painted with the same brush as the dreaded salon owner. They are often accused of supplying the cheapest, crappiest tools and equipment, never having the supplies needed and not providing EVERYTHING that a student or stylist could possibly ever think of using. It is forgotten that some schools try to provide quality supplies (making very little if any profit from it) and making sure that high quality tools and implements are also provided. Unfortunately if it isn't theirs some people don't take care of their surroundings, tools or even attitudes.

When you are in school, you need to take advantage of the education being offered, if you "slacked" in school and were unmotivated or had intructors that were unmovitated or had a horrible attitude chances are you will be the same.

My very best suggestion to those who don't feel like they can make it is work like your worth a million and charge accordingly for your services. The "fake it until you make it" holds true in this industry. Some of the highest paid platform artists and educators are simply people who believe in themselves and feel they are worth something.

Find a mentor or role model, volunteer to work behind the scenes at trade shows, you'll meet some great people and network with other motivated individuals that will "boost" you mood if your down or feeling like you've lost your spark.

Don't let others (spouses, significant others, family or friends) belittle your profession, to me this is a career, a passion and something I feel I'm very talented in. There is nothing about our industry that isn't facinating to me, I want to know it all, I may not do it all but that doesn't stop me from learning about it, meeting people who are qualified in different areas and trying new things with their guidance. My husband often comments about how much more I should be paid, and compares it to his wage, I have to remind him that he went to college for 8 years, holds a Masters and is almost to his PhD. I went to school for 11 months, bought our 1st house and put him through college- comparatively we are paid similarly- there are very few things you can do in such a short time and earn a living wage. No it was not easy in the beginning, but I had a great support system and I try to give that back.

Be a mentor for some one else, sometimes watching someone else's "light bulb" come on is the greatest motivation you can have. Try finding a job for one of your local supply houses as an in store educator, even if you volunteer some of your time. When you give back some of the education and experience that you have gained, you in turn get twice as much in motivation. You'll soon find that you aren't alone and sometimes just helping someone through a rough spot you forget about yours.

Be a mentor for some one else, sometimes watching someone else's "light bulb" come on is the greatest motivation you can have.
I do this in my salon with the local beauty colleges. The internship is a 200 hrs in a working enviroment. I have them bring in models and show me their stuff. They work on willing clients of mine. They do take tips but it is free for me to have them their.
They learn new techniques and even sometimes, I learn something from them.:eek:
It is invigorating.

I do this in my salon with the local beauty colleges. The internship is a 200 hrs in a working enviroment. I have them bring in models and show me their stuff. They work on willing clients of mine. They do take tips but it is free for me to have them their.
They learn new techniques and even sometimes, I learn something from them.:eek:
It is invigorating.
You know that you are old or worse yet dead when you can't learn something new. i'm often amazed at the logic or thought behind some of the things tried by students. Who am I to stifle creativity if it won't cause harm; Ocassionally I have to try their ideas (after hous on a mannequin) to see if it really will work:lol:

LOL it is called ..thinking OUTside the box..:wink2:

Latest posts

Back