Why no dermalogica.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sash1

Reaction score
Hi all its me again, im on a mission today to try and get answers/help for all the little questions or queries i have.
Could anyone tell me why mobile beauty therapists cant buy dermalogica direct. If i had a salon i could get it to retail and use but as i understand us mobile therapists cannot. I use it on me all the time and would like to use the products on my clients so they can have the dermalogica experience, but i would have to pay more for it than salon owners, why is this? :irked: i hope someone can help.
Thanks

Sash

I can't give you an answer regarding Dermalogica, but I do know that quite a few skin care companies will not sell to mobile techs.

The reason for this I believe is that they think it will "lower" the name of product and won't be as prestigious anymore !! :eek:

I know this is utter rubbish, but this is what I was told when I was looking into doing facials etc. mobile.

Marlise

Hi. I can't help I'm afraid but I do empathize. I have approached Dermalogica because I too wanted to use their products when I go mobile later in the year. I was told that their start up costs were £2500, fine I said, I can do that. But no, they don't deal with mobiles. I have to say I was very cross about it. I had been to their demonstrations where they emphasise their philosophy of only trained professionals being able to deal in their products but apparently mobiles don't fit into that.:evil:

I'm sure though that their reasoning behind it is that mobiles aren't able to retail the same volumes that some one with premises can. Which is probably true.:confused:

I know how you all feel, I tried to use decleor and again they do not deal with 'mobiles'. Its just so unfair that we want to use nice products and can't. I'm going to see what I can do at excel.

I HAVE THE ANSWER................I think...!!

Dermalogic want to be exclusive and so if you have a salon and want to use their productsa they have to check there is a big enough distance between your salon and another in your area using their products.

A mobile therapist is alway on the move so may encroach on their area and is therfore no-longer exclusive!!

I only know this cause we asked the Dermalogic tutor at our college. But if you shop around on the net products are available by all acount as one of my fellow ex-student buddies does use dermalogica and gets it off the internet.

HTH

I HAVE THE ANSWER................I think...!!

Dermalogic want to be exclusive and so if you have a salon and want to use their productsa they have to check there is a big enough distance between your salon and another in your area using their products.

A mobile therapist is alway on the move so may encroach on their area and is therfore no-longer exclusive!!

I only know this cause we asked the Dermalogic tutor at our college. But if you shop around on the net products are available by all acount as one of my fellow ex-student buddies does use dermalogica and gets it off the internet.

HTH

This is true many of the "exclusive" (soz can't think of a better word) brands in all walks of life have a policy of keeping distance between who they supply. Therefore a mobile would contradict this policy.

Hiya, when I was setting up, I phoned them and the reason I got was that, being mobile, I wouldn't be able to carry the full range with me to every client.

I spoke to one of the reps at GMEX and one of the reasons is; Products being sold on the internet, in other words the therapist is selling the products on ebay although i imagine their are salons that do this to !

I think the other reason is they can't check on your surroundings. In a salon they can come & check you out & see that you basically aren't dodgy whereas mobile how do they know that you take a couch with you, have matching towels etc. ? For all they know you could be doing a facial on a clients bed or floor :eek: they obviously don't want their range associated with that.

Some of the ranges are far to big to be supplied to mobile therapists & I can see why they wouldn't supply us.

i think dermalogica are very unfair

so are mobile therapists any less professional because they don't operate from a premises

i think dermalogica are very unfair

so are mobile therapists any less professional because they don't operate from a premises

This is how I feel about it. IMO they are certainly implying that we are not as good as those with premises. :irked: Totally unjustified as far as I'm concerned!

Thank you for all the replies. i will just have to find a different range of products to use on myself as well as my clients.
thanx
sash x

I'm sorry to annoy a few people, but I can actually see where these companies are coming from, and I'm mobile at the moment.
Very large complex ranges such as Dermalogica & Decleor would be incredibly hard for a mobile therapist to cart around with them, also retailing would be a nightmare.
These companies do try keep their ranges as professional as possible, and whilst a majority of you probably would setup your business in a professional manner (portable couch and trolleys, matching clean & fresh towels, full record cards kept etc.) By not being able to inspect premises, they would be leaving themselves open to abuse from a few lazier mobiles, and don't say they don't exist, as we all know they do. Take my own personal bugbear of mobile nail techs using ironing boards as a table!:rolleyes::grr:
Whilst many of you girls have used (and love) Dermalogica at college, they have done really well out of going into colleges, as loads of students come out (almost brainwashed) thinking they are the best. They are one of the best, but there are many other fantastic ranges available.
It's a big wide world out their, there are loads of companies that supply skincare, and quite a few are very welcoming to mobile therapists. Don't be a sheep that follows the flock, go out there and do some research at one of the beauty shows. Visit all the skincare stands, get leaflets and information. You'll be surprised at what you could get.:hug:

Thank you pinkmummy, yes you r right. im now on a mission to explore the big wide world and do some research on other skincare products. i have decided to not follow the sheep. im sure i will find something just as good.
thank you
sash x

Odette
I think you are right unfortunately I'm still mad!! :green:

Although it is their loss, not ours!

Odette
I think you are right unfortunately I'm still mad!! :green:

Although it is their loss, not ours!
Way to go girls!:hug:
Make it their loss, build up a really sucessful mobile business using some other fab company. One day you may be ready to go into a salon & dermalogica will have lost out. (There's so many Dermalogica salons around now anyway, you'll have something different, your own USF, unique selling factor.:green:)

Well, I heard from one of their reps that mobile therapists don't offer as much in the way of retail ie. they don't make loads of money from them!!

Stinks :mad:

I'd definitely see this as their loss from my point of view. I manage plenty of retail on the CND front.

I too am training with Dermalogica and we had someone come in to college a few weeks ago to do offcial training day. I did question why they don't supply to mobiles and do they think mobiles offer an inferior service, She looked very uncomfortable but I think (so they say) it has more to do with monitoring and money making.
Lisa
xxxx

Latest posts

Back