Why not Bluesky?

• Thread starter Cheshire Nail Beauty
  • Start date
SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cheshire Nail Beauty

Hi geeks,

I've been building my nail business from home for 12 months, using shellac and NSI Gel. All is going well but I wondered if you could advise me why the negatives reviews for blue sky? I purchased one of their colour changing gels to try and sampled it on myself today and I think it's pretty good. Only negative is the brush is chunky and short but still get a good finish with it. Wondering whether to buy a bit more from this brand seeing as it's more economical! Just wondered if I could have some constructive reasons why not to use it??

If you use the search facility on here you will find dozens of posts discussing this which I'm sure will answer your question.

If you use the search facility on here you will find dozens of posts discussing this which I'm sure will answer your question.
I did that initially and I just found unhelpful comments like "Drop bluesky". The only helpful comment was that it has a tendency to cause allergies. I was wondering what other reasons not to use it besides it's on eBay?

I did that initially and I just found unhelpful comments like "Drop bluesky". The only helpful comment was that it has a tendency to cause allergies. I was wondering what other reasons not to use it besides it's on eBay?

Animal testing
Main reason I won't use it.
But then again not everyone I have deactivated actually likes animals , so for me it is a moral issue.

Animal testing
Main reason I won't use it.
But then again not everyone I have deactivated actually likes animals , so for me it is a moral issue.
The blue sky website states that they do not test on animals and their products do not contain formaldehyde...???

I can't see that my clients will mind if not all of my products are Shellac as long as I'm bringing them quality and variety... I just wondered if there was any reason not to use this brand. From what I have read quite a lot of users say it's good. I can see that people have been bashed on here for it not being "professional"...!

I think there's a lot of stigma about bluesky still.

I know they are trying to drag themselves up out of the mire but mud tends to stick and I wouldn't want that tarnishing my reputation. I'm not sure of the totally up to date situation but basically if things haven't changed (apart from the fact that they are now offering training) there is one factory in China churning out the bluesky, just one and it's all the same. Some goes to eBay/Amazon sellers, some goes to the bluesky nails company and there really is absolutely no difference.

Whereas the genuine CNDShellac for example,

Is available from only S2 /Ellisons in the UK and the ones you find on eBay are actually fakes. They smell different, and perform different. (I bought a top coat from eBay to use on all my colour display wheels and it is VERY different. )

And the fact that it has a tendency to cause allergies is actually a massive issue when you work with the paying public.

It just seems totally counter productive to be professionally trained and then not use a really good product.

Why pay a tech to apply a product you can buy yourself off amazon?.

Unfortunately, just because blue sky says on their website that they don't personally test on animals, doesn't mean that the factory in China or where ever they originally sourced their products/ingredients from also doesn't, it's the same for a lot of companies and how they get away with saying they don't test on animals :(

Hi Steph.

I trained with CND and have always used their products (including Shellac) and yes, they are lovely products. But About a year ago, my client was harassing me to get her some thermal gels she had seen on her friend. I advised they were not Shellac and that you actually get them off eBay (elite 99) but she was adamant she wanted to give them a go.
So I ended up getting a bit carried away and bought a grand total of 20
Did all my swatches and took them to my client and she was absolutely over the moon. Again I explained that I had never used that product before and bought it off eBay like everyone else (Ive been doing her nails every 3 weeks for 4 years so she is like a friend now and I can be very honest with her). She has since had around half of the colours and there has never been any problem with it lifting or causing an allergic reaction. I have also used my poor actual friends as guinea pigs and again, no allergic reactions or lifting. It also soaks off quite well .
I do however have a friend that used bluesky and she developed an allergic reaction and all her nail plates started curling and lifting (ouch). Also my friends friend used it and the same happened to her . Whether this was because they applied it themselves and the product would always be touching the side walls and cuticles of their nails due to poor application, I really don't know. But it did put me off. I have tried bluesky on me and it was ok. Wasn't as good as elite99 though.
Oh and my client paid the same for Shellac as she did for the elite99, even though she knew I just bought it off eBay lol. Not saying every client will be the same as her though.

Hope that all helps xx

If you take more time to read all the posts on this product you'll find they aren't "all unhelpful" at all. There are very detailed and well informed posts on this particular brand.

I get the feeling from your comments that you'll use it and if you and your clients are happy with that then go for it. Personally my clients are educated on professional products and services and would not be impressed to see this in my salon. I know this as as many have mentioned products used in other local salons.

I tried it once on myself and my sister and we both got rashes up our arms! It was the strangest thing! I think that's when it first came out so not sure if they have changed their formula xxx

I'm a hairdresser sneaking over here to nosey around :) but I personally don't go to a nail tech if they use bluesky for all of the reasons mentioned above. Animal testing, the fact that anyone and everyone can buy it etc. I always prefer the quality products :) hope that helps :)

Thank you for the useful feedback.

My clients are also advised about products Cinderella and I pride myself on only using CND and NSI. I would never use on a client without researching and testing on myself first. I don't know about where you are based, but here nail trends are big and people want the latest craziest nail design and there is pressure to keep up with that competition. Shellac simply don't offer colour change gels. I can't simply offer a straight forward Shellac Polish as most clients want a lot more than just the Polish these days. I appreciate the feedback. Thank you.

Also.... no one has defended blue sky here so I guess that's my answer.

I can see why people make an exception for elite99. They have glitters, holos, metallics, colour changing. I wish a professional brand like cnd shellac would take a leaf out of their book rather than releasing so many samey type colours.

I can see why people make an exception for elite99. They have glitters, holos, metallics, colour changing. I wish a professional brand like cnd shellac would take a leaf out of their book rather than releasing so many samey type colours.

Lechat is a pro only brand and has a huge range of stunning colour change gel polishes. They have also released a holo range of gel polish and a collection of metallic pigments. I'd definitely check them out if you'd a like a pro brand with some flair!

You say its more economical but it really isnt.

The bottles are cheaper to buy, so initally you get more colours for your money but if you break down the product costings (apllications per bottle, cost of bottle) then you actually only save around 30p an application.

Id rather have my reputation than that 30p xx

"Pretty colours" is a poor excuse for using unprofessional products and discerning clients will see straight through it

Numerous professional brands offer effect gel polishes:

Gelish, lechat, crystal nails, brillbird...

People use or consider bluesky et al because it is dirt cheap. Cost per service may not vary much between brands but if you use bluesky or similar you can buy in an entire range at rock bottom price. These ebay brands are the cheapest products on the marketplace and I do not believe people would buy them if their pricing was in line with legitimate brands.

Bluesky manufacture fakes. They produce a line called bluesky shellac. Being affiliated with a company that steals intellectual property reflects badly on everyone.

Bluesky the manufacturer of gel polish do not have an education programme or educators. Bluesky UK, who trade off the reputation of bluesky Guangzhou but are simply one of 100s of distributors, do have an education programme of sorts.

Then there's the animal testing, lack of product support, my lack of belief in the truthfulness of their msds, lack of marketing, awful public image, uncontrolled distribution, increased incidences of allergies, unprofessional website...

A brand partnership should enhance a business image not damage it.

Lechat is a pro only brand and has a huge range of stunning colour change gel polishes. They have also released a holo range of gel polish and a collection of metallic pigments. I'd definitely check them out if you'd a like a pro brand with some flair!

Awww I can only use shellac because I need gel based product to be hypoallergenic for me. I love shellac technically but definitely want to see more exciting colours in the range. Pigments and glitter are fun but not as speedy to work with.

I've got blue sky colour change on my own nails and there is no denying that it looks pretty good and will see about wear. A lot of the products we use not only in beauty but also in everyday life come from china. I think I'm going to contact the company directly and ask foe clarification on all of the points geeks have raised.

I have to be honest with you, I find it quite belittling that it is being insinuated that I'm unprofessional for daring to mention blue sky. A similar thread I have read where someone was asking for some info on bluesky said "oh blue sky.. say no more, no one will be able to help you here". I'm a qualified beauty therapist of 17 years and I've worked internationally in spas and salons.Theres nothing unprofessional about trying and considering other brands in the market, even if they've had a bad Rep or are available to the public. The competition of people doing their own nails doesn't bother me because if they want to do that they will get the gel one way or another. Its a business at the end of the day. Some of the vibes on this forum are quite offputtig at times and as business women we should be supporting each other and being kind without making people feel like they're not good enough for the forum!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back