Why not do sculptured all the time?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a1nails

Reaction score
I'm not qualified, just a student starting gel and acrylic this september.

I have been practicing acrylic with tips but today I did a couple of my nails sculptured and thought it was so much easier and less messing about. No need for tip sizing, no need for blending, no need for glue or clipping.

I thought it was really good and wonder why people bother with tips at all!

I hope I get good at sculptured, I would much rather do these.

I might get shouted at for this but if you can sculpt, then there is no reason why you should use tips. I love sculpts, they are imo stronger and I love the look, wish I was better at it, but I'm still more comfortable doing tips, note to self, must practice more sculpts:lol:

I too love sculpting, and will do so whenever I can, however sculpting really doesn't suit my nails, they are flat but have quite a deep side wall and I have never really been able to get the form to fit well. Also the 'look' of my nails is so much better when using a tip.

I am going on a 121 shortly just to perfect sculpting. I know there is a place for tips but to me sculpting is the way to go if you can:)

Great news that you are having fun sculpting I love doing on my own nails but not so confident that I'd abandon the tip box. Its quite challenging and I dont think you can fit a form to everyones nails so tips do have their place.
Well done again

There is no reason you cant.. I sculpt 100% of the time the last time I did tips was when I was training.

I must say once i learnt how to do sculptured nails I have done maybe two sets in 3 years! Can't be bothered with that milarky at all now. I always sculpt.:lol:

i always sculpt too,
cant remember the last time i used tips?
i sculpt with gel , liquid and powder, on bitten nails, on ski jump nails( after taking the length down,
i just tailor my forms, im always cutting them up!!!

I can do both and do do both. To be honest i just do what ever i am in the mood for. Sometimes i feel like sculpting and other times i feel like tipping. And it means i am keeping my hand in both. x

I can do both and do do both. To be honest i just do what ever i am in the mood for. Sometimes i feel like sculpting and other times i feel like tipping. And it means i am keeping my hand in both. x

Me too a bit of both what ever takes the moody but mostly sculpting as I love doing the reverse application which gives perfect smile lines every time:hug:

I too love sculpting, and will do so whenever I can, however sculpting really doesn't suit my nails, they are flat but have quite a deep side wall and I have never really been able to get the form to fit well. Also the 'look' of my nails is so much better when using a tip.

file the natural nail to a fleck of its life right up them side walls' then use creative clear forms

you will then get a form under there :) oh i wish i could sculpt all the time its the best

I must say that during my training, we were advised to use tips on nailbiters and ski jump nails...but after having read some comments on this site, I am definitely going to try and sculpt 100% of the time. I have always found sculpting "easier" and much less farffing around and I am sure with practise of shaping forms, I can sculpt for almost everyone :)

if you think of the form as a "platform" for the product as that is what the tip is doing " being a platform", then it becomes easier
sometimes i have to hold my forms in position until the products sets
sometimes i tailor the form to within an inch of its life,
as long as i get that snug fit and the platform, im away!!

Dont just stick to one brand of forms either try them all and use what you like the feel of, I use CND, TT-comp, Eznails, Ezflow, NSI platnum and a few other un named ones.. some a flimsy, some are stiff, some hold a dramatic curve others dont (depends on what the nails your working on are like)

I was never taught sculpting with gels but I got the nsi video on doing all types of nails and its such a great video. Its so detailed and you see it as the tech sees it, she explains what she is doing and all the steps. So I bought some pink and white gel ( LCN though) and just did it on myself and they look great. I was so tickled, i thought well if I can do this on both my hands there is no reason I cant do this on other people. No more tips for me unless client asks for them, its just too time consuming and time is money.
I dont understand the fuss about putting forms on either, i would rather perfect that then have to blend, size, shape tips. Even though im 6.5 months pregnant I am so excited to work again! I want to sculpt on whoever I can get my hands on!!....my poor husband,lol!

I used to be "anti-sculpting" (of course, I didn't know how, and fitting forms were making me INSANE)

BUT

Once I learned the trick of fitting a form, and did a few sculpts? I'm 100% converted and ALL of my tipboxes are collecting oodles of dust. I now LOVE sculpting. I sculpt EVERYONE. Even severe biters. Where there is a will, there IS a way.
What I love best is what it means in terms of repairs. No more need to remove old product and start fresh with a tip. Just file away lift, prep etc.. fit form, and rebuild onto existing product. Saves oodles of time and much easier.

Learn sculpting and practice until you're purple in the face.
You'll never look back.
:green:

the biggest kick I get is when clients have never seen sculpting (actually, to date, none of my clients has seen anyone do it before coming to me) and they're all "wow, that's so cool. that must take so much skill. neato! etc"
lol
That's fun too. :lol:

This is exactly what i do. If i am in a sculpting mood "week" then the tips are put away..sometimes though a clients nail wont lend itself to a 'easy fit'..then i am kind to myself and pull the tips out...foremost in my mind is my sanity plus a perfect 'job'. IMO not every nail is easy to sculpt..thats where tips come in handy:lol: I can hate myself for weeks if my work isn't perfect.

the biggest kick I get is when clients have never seen sculpting (actually, to date, none of my clients has seen anyone do it before coming to me) and they're all "wow, that's so cool. that must take so much skill. neato! etc"
lol
That's fun too. :lol:

I get that too.

None of my clients have seen sculpting and they have the same reaction.

I don't use tips either now - sculpting is so much nicer to do and imo you get more satisfaction out of it too, it is also definately stronger than tipping from my experience.

One lady who I go to has been raving about sculpting to her friends and says that she tries to explain it to them but they dont "get it". I have definately converted her from the NSS that she had been going to, she used to say to me "ooh, they never did anything like this at the other place" meaning sculpting AND PREP!!:eek:

Sculpting is great imo :)

xx

I can sculpt on others fine, but for MY poor ugly, thin, flat nails, sculpts just look awful!

I'm worried to pinch too much (especially with the recent threads) and love the tips I use with full wells.. they give my nails a great curve - you'd never know what they're hiding!

And anyway, I've tried sculpting on myself...

it wasnt a very pretty sight! AND i was filing for HOURS :D

I do both .....tips and sculpt .....
I usually tip myself as it's easiest for me in doing my "other hand" .....and it depends on the client and there needs as to weather or not I sculpt or tip them .......

I think there is a need to " know" both ...as some nails are just tricky....
I don't think it makes anyone less of a tech for doing tips....just a different method that gets the same results .....a beautiful set of enhancements is what we all try to achieve in the end.......so for me ......

either or....... as long as it gets the job done beautifully !:)

Latest posts

Back