Why so competitive?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n@iledit

Reaction score
I started out in nails about 2 yrs ago and shortly after i started working on the general public another lady within my circle of friends/family went to train also, so close to home so miffed me a little but then thought hey it'll be nice to chat nails with some 1 and im sure there will be enough work to go around, I've even offered advice to her when she was struggling with something! repeatedly she has used a design that i no doubt saw on here or YouTube and tweaked a little to my taste, I've never once complained that she copied it exactly, because like i said i found the idea somewhere also (not on my doorstep but hey!) well anyway everyone knows Kath kidson inspired nails are big right now, ppl ask for them all the time and I've given them so has she, her and another lady nearly immediately after id posted a pic online of a set id done made a comment "how original" and since I've heard she's saying i copy her :(

thing is she's done this to me when I've felt it all this time and never said a word been happy to help and always polite to her, recently she has a status saying my work is all my own designs blah blah blah u get the jist of the rest, and this bothers me!
Am i being stupid? Just need to vent really!

Thanks for reading geeks

Is it on your personal page or a business one? I'd block any negative/jealous people so they can't see your work x

I didn't want to block her and look petty but it seems it has come to that now :( guess I'll come across many more like this, think i need to man up lol! Thanks for your reply :) x

It drives me crazy! I've had similar.
Best thing is to completely ignore it.
Genuine people always seem to last and those who copy/are petty or bitchy usually don't make it on the end.
Just concentrate on looking after your own client base, make sure you always do your best and don't stoop to her level x

If the comment said 'how original' I'd just reply with something like 'aw thank you! :)' or 'I wish they were they're actually a tweaked version of some fan nails I saw by xxx on xxx but thanks! I'm glad you like them :)' I always find nothing bugs the bitchy people more than ignoring the nastiness in their comments and it shows any clients/potential clients you don't get dragged into other people's petty jealousies ;)

It drives me crazy! I've had similar.
Best thing is to completely ignore it.
Genuine people always seem to last and those who copy/are petty or bitchy usually don't make it on the end.
Just concentrate on looking after your own client base, make sure you always do your best and don't stoop to her level x

I'm in agreement with this totally. Rise above, don't get dragged into a petty game. You know the truth and obviously she is not the sort of person that you want in your life. It happens in any industry, take it as a form of flattery and just make sure you get your pictures uploaded onto your Facebook when you do them so people can see your work first xxx

I have had a similar experience and got so upset about it. My husband kept saying I was being stupid and to ignore it. The girls have posted the best advice... as hard and annoying as this is, you gotta rise about it and try your very best to be polite and ignore. There's nothing you can do about these people. They have no original ideas of their own.
As quoted before - do you very best and people will come to you. :Kissing:

Is it on your personal page or a business one? I'd block any negative/jealous people so they can't see your work x

Can u block from your page?x

I would ignore it, there are so many designs that are very popular and end up not bring so original.

Be confident in your own ability and if people are bitching - take it as a compliment as it's usually a bit of underlying jealousy in it.

As long as you feel happy with your work, don't let negative ninnyheads bring you down :D x

I've always got people copying my designs but that's because I put photos of them on the Internet.

If you don't want people to copy then don't post the pics - sorry, harsh but true.

You need to make peace with yourself and once you have posted the photo let it go, be forward thinking and remember its better to be a shepherd than a sheep :D

Thanks guys :) you've been helpful and I've taken all advice on board!
Feeling better about it today, afterall she isn't a friend just a friend of friends so no huge loss.
My business is picking up nicely so im doing something well and this is all that matters :)

Yep similar for me helped out someone and then she a a friend trained, only to find out the friend started questioning everyones nails in the gym and saying she can do them cheaper than me! Damn cheek! I rarely put my pictures up on my site now as I want my clients to feel special but double edge sword if new clients can't see what you CAN do :( I have samples in the salon for them to see and I literally make it up as I go along LOL
Step aside from the competition (?), stay focussed on your own business xxx

I didn't want to block her and look petty but it seems it has come to that now :( guess I'll come across many more like this, think i need to man up lol! Thanks for your reply :) x

I think her comments make HER look tacky.

Like these attention seekers who post things like "I'm so angry right now" then get loads of "how come/why?" And they are like "oh just some people/doesn't matter". Yaaaaaawn....

If I was a client, I'd give her a body swerve. Just keep doing what you are doing and ignore her.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

If the comment said 'how original' I'd just reply with something like 'aw thank you! :)' or 'I wish they were they're actually a tweaked version of some fan nails I saw by xxx on xxx but thanks! I'm glad you like them :)' I always find nothing bugs the bitchy people more than ignoring the nastiness in their comments and it shows any clients/potential clients you don't get dragged into other people's petty jealousies ;)
I think this is excellent advice and I would definitely google the design and quote a blogger or someone on here (if you've seen similar) apart from showing that you won't be dragged into petty squabbles it will also show that your acquaintance (like most of us) is not original either! We all get inspiration from somewhere, even the most respected innovative artists have a muse!

Another thing to remember is that in the Hair and beauty industry service is personal, if you are professional, kind hearted and true to yourself and clients you will get clients who appreciate that and are the same, if you are a bitchy messer you will attract bitchy messers.

Another thing to remember is that in the Hair and beauty industry service is personal, if you are professional, kind hearted and true to yourself and clients you will get clients who appreciate that and are the same, if you are a bitchy messer you will attract bitchy messers.

Very well put x

Latest posts

Back