Why won't it stay on?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fluffy socks

Reaction score
I'm still fairly new to gel enhancements so ive been practising on family and friends before I offer it to clients.
All of the ones I've done so far have stayed on, no problem :) apart from my sisters and weirdly only the thumb I do all the prep (remove oil and shine use bonder e.t.c) but a day later it just comes of again :mad: she has really small nail beds and very thin oily nails. Is there anything I'm doing wrong or could be doing?

It's the oily nails. Some people are just not suited to nail enhancements etc. It's usually the ones with the oily nails. Nothing you've done my dear.

Thank you for the reassurance

You know, it is a funny thing, but having done thousands if not hundreds of thousands of nails in my time, I have never seen these exceptionally oily nails that everyone seems to be blaming these days for all of their problems. Why is that do you suppose? Are people more oily these days? ... come to think of it I don't see them these days either!! Where have they all come from or is it just a convenient excuse that covers all problems ??

People do not have one OILY thumb!!

They may have a thumb that was not prepared well, or they may flick a lighter many times a day if they smoke .. or they may put said thumb in their mouth and play with it or unconsciously rub at it with their index finger, force some peeling and then pull the rest off; but ''oily thumb syndrome'' I have not heard of before.

There is far too much blaming of these mythical oily nails for problems that need to be sorted out. By the time nails are prepared and the surface temporarily dehydrated, there is no oil. Don't look for excuses, take responsibility or find out what you or the client is doing.

The number of people who for whatever reason cannot tolerate nail products is infinitesimal. You will be unusual if you come across more than a handful in a lifetime behind the nail table.

What lamp are you using?

With the exception of the CND UV lamp (which cures the whole hand) you would need to cure the thumb nail separately from the fingers, as the nail needs to lie flat in the lamp and not to the side... if you aren't doing that, you will not get a full cure, which would lead to service breakdown, so may be the reason you are having problems.

I was given the excuse of oily nails by three separate nail techs before I trained. Turned out the lifting was down to their zero-prep which I quickly learned.

Many people come to me from other salons fully expecting their enhancements to lift as they've been told they have too much oil in their nails.

Fact is if you are preparing the nail correctly there should be no oil or foreign bodies present. I've only come across one lady who cannot keep enhancements on and we think it may be down to her severe eczema and constant scratching.

I digress!! Find out what she does with that thumb, sucking it constantly, biting it etc, and you'll more than likely find the reason behind it :D

I had some clients come to me saying that their usual tech tells them they have excessively oily nail plates which is why their enhancements lift. So I took extra care and almost, "double prepped" her nails if you like and she had no problems at all.

So thorough prep was definitely the answer to this ladies previous problems and could be to yours.

I did think that it was weird that its just the thumb that does it. I've took the whole set off and I'm going to start again, this is only the forth full set that I have done since getting my diploma. I guess I was going to run into some problems eventually. It's better that I do them now and learn from it at the beginning then later on with paying clients.

I'm using the NSI 9watt lamp that was recommended with the kit

I did think that it was weird that its just the thumb that does it. I've took the whole set off and I'm going to start again, this is only the forth full set that I have done since getting my diploma. I guess I was going to run into some problems eventually. It's better that I do them now and learn from it at the beginning then later on with paying clients.

I'm using the NSI 9watt lamp that was recommended with the kit

Can I ask how many minutes you are meant to cure for?

If you are following the manufactures instructions, then you're fine.

What lamp are you using?

With the exception of the CND UV lamp (which cures the whole hand) you would need to cure the thumb nail separately from the fingers, as the nail needs to lie flat in the lamp and not to the side... if you aren't doing that, you will not get a full cure, which would lead to service breakdown, so may be the reason you are having problems.

When curing the thumbs, check to make sure one of them is not rolling inwards towards the other or it won't get enough exposure to the UV light and therefore won't cure properly x

It's meant to cure in 90 seconds I followed the instructions to the letter, just to make sure :)
thanks blossom I stood over her to make sure she didnt lol thank god she's my sister :lol:

Latest posts

Back