Why won't my hairdresser give me a full head bleach?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bev Rose

Reaction score
I have recently (AUG) had my hair colour changed from coloured brown with a few streaks on the top layer, to going blonde.
My HD would not go over my whole head with bleach, which is the only way my hair will lift to a good colour.
I'm looking to achieve light ash blonde, but so far since August I have had a tint put over my whole head to lift it & then bleached foils done. The foiled highlights are fab, the tinted area is very brassy/orangey. I went back last week & asked them to put a toner or something on to get rid of the orangey colour & still I have it:irked:
My hair is in excellent condition though, which is a credit to my hairdresser, I'm not knocking her at all, but just wonder why I still have brassey roots??

I just keep asking and not getting!!

Is it possible to achieve the desired colour without thee use of bleach?

My hair was blonde when I was a kid & now it's naturally brown, but there's not a lot of red tones in my natural hair, it's more mousey brown!

you say your hair was coloured brown then this could be where the warm red tones are from and the brassy effect you are seeing without seeing your hair its hard to say why your hd wont do a full head bleach it maybe that as its been coloured brown it would leave a brassy colour all over in which case she may feel its best to gradually lighten your hair with hi lights untill there is more hi lights and less brown and less chance of a brassy outcome hope ive explained it ok

you say your hair was coloured brown then this could be where the warm red tones are from and the brassy effect you are seeing without seeing your hair its hard to say why your hd wont do a full head bleach it maybe that as its been coloured brown it would leave a brassy colour all over in which case she may feel its best to gradually lighten your hair with hi lights untill there is more hi lights and less brown and less chance of a brassy outcome hope ive explained it ok
Hiya,
I can understand that, it makes good sense.
It's my regrowth of natural hair too that is brassy/orange. They don't re-streak through previously streaked hair, just cover my regrowth when she's doing the foils.
I did have a HD who used to just streak bleach straight through the old lot of bleach too. Not sure that's a good thing!

Hiya,
I can understand that, it makes good sense.
It's my regrowth of natural hair too that is brassy/orange. They don't re-streak through previously streaked hair, just cover my regrowth when she's doing the foils.
I did have a HD who used to just streak bleach straight through the old lot of bleach too. Not sure that's a good thing!

Hi Bev Rose you don't say if your hair is long or short ?
The only thing that will lift hair lighter than a high lift tint is bleach.

You should never overlap bleach unless it is for the last five mins to freshen it up otherwise it can suffer breakage and could snap off where it was overlapped

When you ask you're hairdresser for an all over bleach,
you are asking her to overlap the previously bleached highlights ect
which would be risking damage to you're hair as mentioned above

If she used a lighter colour all over and risked overlap damage then your highlights wouldn't show up anyway ,

If you are desperate for a lighter colour all over you could ask her to perform some test pieces first,
this way you would get to see the colour you may achieve and also see the condition that the previously highlighted hair would be left in .

It may be possible then again it may not .
but if it is possible
it may take a few goes and regular conditioning and plenty of regular trims

You're hairdresser is the only one that can see it
so I would ask her to do perform the test pieces,

If all of the above is not possible then you could ask can she change the roots tint tone so it will be less orangey ?

If your hair is long hair
I can understand her reluctance of lightening a whole head of previously bleached highlights ,

as you would have a lot more hair to lose if it got damaged and broke off
through overlapping
hope this has helped :hug: x

Just to add to what Minky has put xx

Tint will not lift tint,therfore if you have colour on your hair only the use of bleach will ighten it,i would couple this with an ash toner to reduce brassiness as you call it :D

hth's x

Also bev just to add to all other advice there is a new goldwell high lift blonding cream ash that i find great on blonds that go a bit brassy on the roots see what make colours your hd uses and suggest ito her/him.
hth
Jo xxx

Latest posts

Back