Why would nails lift the same day? Had a complaint

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blossom

Reaction score
I recently had a client, a recommendation from a lady who Ive been doing for about 8 years and all her family.

She had been to the local discount salon where they use electric drills and had tip and overlay done there which was yellowing after about 10 days so she wanted me to remove them and do new, which i did and she loved them.

The following day her friend, also a nail tech out of the area, rang (as she didn't like to) saying her friend had spent out twice now for nails that were no good, she said she had photographic evidence that mine had lifted within 24 hours all round the cuticles. She has now had mine soaked off and new applied so more cost.

At this point I ought to say, without blowing my own trumpet, I've been qualified and running my home salon for over 10 years, use Ezflow a quality line, and have a pretty large returning client base, over 90% of which have no lifting whatsoever and the few who do, it's only a little now and then and maybe only on a nail or two.

The friend nail tech asked if it was a regular occurrence although she did add that she knew this girl had come to me because of my satisfied client whose nails she liked. I didn't like to try and shift the blame but did mention the discount salon with nail drill and that I though maybe they had weakened her nails. This nail tech said no because it was all round the cuticles. (I still maintain that could be the case though - what do you think?)

I cannot bear the thought that someone is so unhappy with nails I have done so have agreed to refund.....whilst pointing out that I have many satisfied clients and basically no idea why this has happened to her friend.

What do you think? I hate that they now think I am rubbish. As well as a refund I am thinking of offering shellac toes or something complimentary simply to prove the point that I am a decent tech but I don't particularly want to offer more nails or infills as I think her nail plate may be damaged. Am I mad?

And am I right that thinning nail plates through electric filing could cause this lifting? If not I cannot think why this has happened as I have done the same as I do on everyone else. And the discount salons, whilst yellow, were not lifting.

Sorry for the essay. Your comments will be much appreciated xx

If she has a friend who is nail tech, why didn't she get her to do them? Sounds all a bit dodge to me. Did you see the lifting or the 'new' set?

Good point, but I do remember when she was here she told me her friend used to do her nails but is now about 10 miles away since she took a salon and so not convenient

It also bothers me because her younger sister I kind of know through my daughters friends so it is embarrassing that I may now be talked about unfairly- especially as I was delighted she had come to me from the discount salon and I thought I had won a client :(

I think I may ask for the photos to be emailed to me, would be good to see in any case.

You are right, if the nails are in awful condition due to the use of electric drills then it does compromise the adhesion of the new overlay. I should know, I used to go to these awful shops before I got qualified and learnt how the correct way is! Don't offer anything else complimentary! I know the feeling because you just want them to see that you aren't rubbish and you are a good tech plus a good person, but if you didn't see the lifting, haven't received the photos, nor has she complained directly to you, and you've offered a refund although its doubtful it was even your fault, what more can you do? X

Yes, you are right.

I feel its more about damage limitation now. Even though I really don't think it was my fault.

I wouldn't have offered the refund. Only if she came into the salon and showed you the damage. All evidence is now conveniently gone and she wants her money back. Hmmmm.

Now that you've agreed the refund and can't go back on your word, make sure the client comes in to see you personally to collect the refund, don't give it to someone else to pass on. Just say it's not your policy, all refunds need to be returned to the client only. I bet the client will be too embarrassed to come and collect it because I am guessing it's all a load of rubbish and she is probably still happily wearing your nails!

If I suspected she was a wrong 'un still wearing my nails I would gush and gush and gush in the sweetest possible way about having to see them.

If she is not pulling a fast one, and you are killing her with kindness, there is no reason for her not to show you.

Gosh I must be so naive and trusting, it never crossed my mind she could still be wearing them! :eek: Yes I will definitely ensure she comes in (and in the next day or two, as well)

I pride myself on my good customer service although I haven't ever been asked to refund before, not even just after I qualified. I just tried to think what I would like if I were that customer and that had (genuinely) happened to me.

She was nice, too, I would have liked her to be a regular client of mine.

So nobody thinks I should offer anything else to try and claw back some of my reputation?

So nobody thinks I should offer anything else to try and claw back some of my reputation?

Personally I wouldn't offer anymore because you've already done the refund offer, but that really is a personal call and what you think is best :)

I have on my initial consultation form a section just before they sign with words to the effect that 'No refunds for any services will be given due to time it takes to carry out the treatment & product used'.

It's just something to fall back on as they are always happy to sign initially,

I've not yet been asked for a refund but its early days with my business. I know it will happen eventually but I just feel a bit of security against people who might be pickers or who might 'try it on'.

All the best x

No, ofcourse not.
You have not even seen the 'lifted' nails.... :|

Blossom you hardly need worry about one seemingly dissatisfied customer whom you are dealing with through a third party. It's all hearsay.

Ok so you've offered a refund , now have the girl come in and examine her nails to put your mind at rest . Take it from there and as someone else said they may still be on her.

And if a friend came to you with a complaint about another salon would you phone the salon up?

I wouldn't, I would tell her go back to the salon herself but I wouldn't get directly involved ...sounds like they are a pair of chancers.

Blossom you hardly need worry about one seemingly dissatisfied customer whom you are dealing with through a third party. It's all hearsay.

Ok so you've offered a refund , now have the girl come in and examine her nails to put your mind at rest . Take it from there and as someone else said they may still be on her.

And if a friend came to you with a complaint about another salon would you phone the salon up?

I wouldn't, I would tell her go back to the salon herself but I wouldn't get directly involved ...sounds like they are a pair of chancers.

And there are all sorts of them doing the rounds these days. Usually they prey on the inexperienced who are too scared to stand their corner and are an easy target for a refund. They get their nails done for free all the time.

Can't believe with all your experience you have fallen for this one, Blossom :hug:

Now you've offered it I suppose you have to see it through, but don't offer her anything more for goodness sake and don't worry about your reputation. You already have a good one and one chancer is not going to put a dent in it.

Thank you for your words of wisdom!

Maybe if the timing was different I would have thought they might be pulling a fast one ..... but 3 new sets in 2weeks? (allegedly lol) But as has been said, maybe mine are still on :irked:

I will update this thread when and if I see her nails (although of course mine have supposedly been replaced with a new set from somewhere else now)

Really appreciate all your replies. I find it easy working on my own normally but when you have a problem, there's no one to chew it over with ..... enter salon geek :hug::hug::hug:

Latest posts

Back