WiFi - how does it work exactly?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marlise

Reaction score
Right, at the risk of sounding like a complete idiot, I need some information on WiFi use.

I understand how WiFi works etc, what I'm trying to understand, is what I need to do to get it :lol:

Now this might sound like a daft question, but let me explain ....

We currently have Broadband which happily comes to us through an optic cable, which magically connects to our PC through a little box and wires (notice how I'm blinding you with all the technical jargon).

As I've decided to stay in Brum and not go to Bristol anymore, a very kind friend of mine has offered to put me up, but she doesn't have any type of ISP or a PC for that matter !

So I'm looking at getting myself a cheapish laptop and getting WiFi so that I can surf my life away :lol:

I understand you need a router box in order to bounce the signal around the house.

I assume you need to subscribe to a ISP such as Virgin Media or Sky or whatever, but having looked on their web sites, all I see is broadband, and this is what's confusing me.

If I just want WiFi, do I still need to have Broadband installed ? If I can just get WiFi, does the ISP supply the router box ? How much does WiFi cost ?

If anyone could please shed some light on this for me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Marlise

Wifi is wireless connectivity, you have to get the signal from somewhere .......

I can get a few signals in my area that I don't pay for ..... piggybacking on someone Else's unsecured network.
But what you really need is a wireless modem (which has an antennae) which the laptop picks up the signal from.

Wifi is wireless connectivity, you have to get the signal from somewhere .......

I can get a few signals in my area that I don't pay for ..... piggybacking on someone Else's unsecured network.
But what you really need is a wireless modem (which has an antennae) which the laptop picks up the signal from.

Hi Carl,

Yes, I understand all that, and I did think I could just piggyback on someone elses signal, but I have been advised against it as apparently it's illegal to start of with (no fun these people) and also it's not very safe for you PC to do so.

What I'm trying to establish is how do I get the damn box and how much it will cost me basically as none of the ISP's that I've gone to actually tell you anything about WiFi, just broadband.

Can I get WiFi without having broadband installed or do the two go hand in hand ?

Marlise

Where is Seanny when you need him....out celebrating his birthday I suppose!!!

I am a technophobe...but I have Wifi...and I think it is vastly over rated!!

I think you need Broadband in order to get Wifi....all it does is (supposedly) let you use your laptop anywhere in the house without it being connected to the Broadband with a cable.
The cable goes into your wireless router instead.

I have all this....and yet I am still sitting right beside my router and broadband modem....so it may as well just be plugged direct into my laptop!!
If I do take my laptop into any other room in the house the signal is so low I lose the the connection....usually just as I hit the send button on a particularily brilliant post! Even sitting here beside it with an excellent signal every so often it dips and throws me off T'internet.:irked:

Sorry for moaning...but I hope some of it helps.

Yes you do need broadband and a router box. Your PC/laptop may have an internal aerial or you may need an external desk top one. You'll have to pay for broadband - we pay £15.00 a month and paid £50+ for the router.
Then spent thousand on paracetemol for the headaches in setting it all up AND my husband is a systems analyst :eek::eek::eek:

Yes you do need broadband and a router box. Your PC/laptop may have an internal aerial or you may need an external desk top one. You'll have to pay for broadband - we pay £15.00 a month and paid £50+ for the router.
Then spent thousand on paracetemol for the headaches in setting it all up AND my husband is a systems analyst :eek::eek::eek:

I am on first name terms with several staff at the Belkin Router helpline, and the PC World helpline...and Virgin Media customer services.........

I know they will all speak very highly of me!

As will Seanny who eventually got me secured!!!!

Mmmm .... we've got Virgin Media Broadband and have never had any problems with it. We got it when they were still Telewest and have had it for 7 years now.

BUT, as I will be living in my friends single spare room, I don't really want to get Broadband as such installed as it will just be me using it and to be honest, I don't know how long I will be with her. Could be a couple of months, could be years :lol:

The other problem of course is that I don't have the money to buy a desktop PC, I don't have the money for a laptop either, but that's another story.

So I thought WiFi would probably be the better option, but now you guys are making me think that perhaps I should just find the local Internet Cafe and move in there instead !

Marlise

Latest posts

Back