Will I ever get quicker?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nail angel 67

Reaction score
Now I wasn't worrying about how long it was taking me to remove and re-do a set of Gelish for the first couple of months that I started out but not I've probably done well over 100 sets and am still fairly slow :sad:

It's taking me on average 1 1/2 or even 1 3/4 of an hour to complete a set and that's with the LED lamp even! I do make sure every single step is done thoroughly though as I go by the saying "you can't rush perfection" but I'm sort of annoying myself now that I can't get any quicker. Put it this way, I'd never get rich at this rate as I wouldn't be able to fit in many a day if I was doing it full time.

Must add though that a colleague at work told me this week that she had hers done on the spur of the moment last week by a lady who hadn't been doing them long and it only took her 40 minutes. I said there's no way I can do it that quick but then she told me that they were no way as professional looking as our other colleague's nails who I am doing on a regular basis now. When I looked at them they were definitely not very neat and she'd missed out quite a lot of the nail around the side walls etc and even painted it wonky on quite a few nails. These ladies are receptionists at my work and quite a few of them are now booking in for me to do their nails which is obviously a good sign - I just wish I could work quicker.

Do you think the speed may still pick up in time?

You may but don't worry it's not always quantity it's sometimes quality is alot more important x

Now I wasn't worrying about how long it was taking me to remove and re-do a set of Gelish for the first couple of months that I started out but not I've probably done well over 100 sets and am still fairly slow :sad:

It's taking me on average 1 1/2 or even 1 3/4 of an hour to complete a set and that's with the LED lamp even! I do make sure every single step is done thoroughly though as I go by the saying "you can't rush perfection" but I'm sort of annoying myself now that I can't get any quicker. Put it this way, I'd never get rich at this rate as I wouldn't be able to fit in many a day if I was doing it full time.

Must add though that a colleague at work told me this week that she had hers done on the spur of the moment last week by a lady who hadn't been doing them long and it only took her 40 minutes. I said there's no way I can do it that quick but then she told me that they were no way as professional looking as our other colleague's nails who I am doing on a regular basis now. When I looked at them they were definitely not very neat and she'd missed out quite a lot of the nail around the side walls etc and even painted it wonky on quite a few nails. These ladies are receptionists at my work and quite a few of them are now booking in for me to do their nails which is obviously a good sign - I just wish I could work quicker.

Do you think the speed may still pick up in time?

I m the same - just can t get quicker!!!!! X

When I first started, to remove and redo use to take me 2 hours!! I am an absolute perfectionist but I was taking way too long and it really frustrated me.

I can now do it in an hour and 15 so I have speeded up, this may still seem a long time to others but I feel to do a perfect job this is the time I need, and im sure I will still get quicker in time.

I'm the same with l+p! It takes me hours lol! I am still training but due to qualify on 1st June :d

I'm not too worried because like the above poster says quality not quantity! I could do a set in 1hr30 but they would look shocking and be off within a week.

Keep going you'll get quicker in your own time x

you will get quicker the more you do and you will find different ways of working that will be quicker. it takes time tho so dont worrry and if clients are happy then thats the main thing. like others said its quality that you want xx

If your doing top quality work i wouldn't worry much about your time. Have you ever thought about the fact that many women actually enjoy the service! I think sometimes we all forget about how relaxing a well performed service can be. Plenty of wind down time. Good conversation, perhaps a juice or soda, and nice surroundings. Sound yummy to me! :)

Aah, thanks everyone that's made me feel better. Like I jokingly say quite a lot to clients, "you can't rush perfection!" but I am a perfectionist and so I think that's why it takes so long. I just worry sometimes as it's often a client's lunch hour so I don't want them to get into trouble for being back to their job late.

One consolation here though is that they don't have to wait for their nails to dry and can do what they need to do straightaway! Soooooo grateful for that!

You will master the moves with time, you will stop repeating your moves and checking your work all the time, cause you will know you didn't miss anything. It is called confidence and with it growing you will work faster. You should only care to make best nails you can, lenght of the service will shorten for sure :)

Check your timings, what is taking you long and try to perfect it, so you do not repeat it (like removing cuticles), or just do it faster (like painting, you can do it slow or fast with te same effect).
hth

speed and confidence go together.
after 100 sets you should be happy with your application though
maybe set yourself a timer and put yourself under a bit of pressure, try bringing your timings back buy 10 minutes and gradually get yourself within the expected time frame.

It takes time, as others have said be more concerned initially with the quality and then work on the time. Try breaking the areas down i.e. PREP, tips/sculptures, application of L&P etc. Time yourself and then set your self goals. Keep calm and keep going :)

Im so much faster that im in the salon i do a set of gelish in about 40-45 mins but if with removal an hour to hour 15 i just got so much quicker with doing it constantly back to back but dont get me wrong if someone talks to me too much I can easily take longer lol x

Im so much faster that im in the salon i do a set of gelish in about 40-45 mins but if with removal an hour to hour 15 i just got so much quicker with doing it constantly back to back but dont get me wrong if someone talks to me too much I can easily take longer lol x

I think that's part of my problem - chatting too much!! I've got a problem with silence and like to make the client feel very comfortable so chat about anything basically but I think this does make me slower.

Are you a chatter? I find my timings are fairly good with my more quiet clients..... but i have a tendency to natter away and although i dont think i look up and i talk to the hand, it does slow me down. I have to keep a good check on myself to make sure i dont talk too much and over run xxx

I was about to write a post like this today!

I take FAR too long to do a mani or pedi. My waxing has slowed right down too. I used to be able to do a pedicure in 45 mins. Since leaving college its been getting longer & longer. I think I just need to stop talking and actually look at the time!

I've always found if I have a time limit I will work to it. Odd...x

Latest posts

Back