Will it make the boat go faster?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alex here, Lynne's husband.

As we turned the endless lights off in Baker Acres, another thought sprang to mind.

Do you have halogen GU10 bulbs in your salon/home?

Let's say you have 20 of them at 50 watts a piece (the most common type). This adds up to 1 kilowatt and running them for one hour uses 1 kilowatt-hour of electricity.

If you run your lights for 8 hours a day, working 6 days a week for 52 weeks a year, you will use 2496 kilowatt-hours.

We pay 12.6p per kilowatt-hour, meaning that LIGHTING ALONE would cost £314.50 per year.

If you replaced those halogen GU10s for modern LED equivalents at 5 watts each, you would pay £31.45 per year.

OK, so 20 half decent LED GU10s would cost around £200 (don't buy cheap ones...) but they last far, far longer than halogen bulbs and you would still make a saving in the first year.

Lynne, Would you mind asking your husband a Q for me?

Can I simply swap the 50w bulbs for 5w ones or do I need a transformer and electrician to do that? I have ten of these bulbs in my kitchen and suspect that they will be racking up the bill as I type. Thanks.

Wise words as usual Lynne - you clever girl!

Indeed you can just switch the bulbs over, with no need of electrician or equipment. The only restriction is if you have a dimmer. Most LED GU10 bulbs aren't dimmable, and those which are are much more expensive.
We got ours from eBay - CREE Dimmable GU10 3 x 4W 12W MEGA BRIGHT LED Spotlight Light bulbs Halogen 70W | eBay

Go for the brightest you can afford - they're really not as bright as they would have believe! We went for 12w ones!

So does anyone split the couch roll and tissues to save pennies?

Oh yes, have done for years. Doesn't everyone?
Although I don't for leg or bikini waxing, facials or massage

A real thought provoking post, but has terrified me a little!

As a newly qualified nail tech, in an area where nail techs seem to pop up left right and centre, it makes me question whether in this climate, I am actually going to succeed?

No, but I do buy them when they're on offer!

Indeed you can just switch the bulbs over, with no need of electrician or equipment. The only restriction is if you have a dimmer. Most LED GU10 bulbs aren't dimmable, and those which are are much more expensive.
We got ours from eBay - CREE Dimmable GU10 3 x 4W 12W MEGA BRIGHT LED Spotlight Light bulbs Halogen 70W | eBay

Go for the brightest you can afford - they're really not as bright as they would have believe! We went for 12w ones!

Thanks Lynne. That's great news. Savings here we come...
(Yes, they are connected to a dimmer. I forgot about that! :o)

Well, I'm half way through my clinic extension and should be ready to move in next week. So far I've saved £307 because the boat wouldn't have gone any faster!

There were things I bought for the refurb because I thought they'd benefit long term (good quality units etc). There were also things I just knew I didn't need when I thought about it.

So, it's definitely worth asking if the boat will go faster!

Alex here, Lynne's husband.

As we turned the endless lights off in Baker Acres, another thought sprang to mind.

Do you have halogen GU10 bulbs in your salon/home?

LAX50GUF.JPG

Let's say you have 20 of them at 50 watts a piece (the most common type). This adds up to 1 kilowatt and running them for one hour uses 1 kilowatt-hour of electricity.

If you run your lights for 8 hours a day, working 6 days a week for 52 weeks a year, you will use 2496 kilowatt-hours.

We pay 12.6p per kilowatt-hour, meaning that LIGHTING ALONE would cost £314.50 per year.

If you replaced those halogen GU10s for modern LED equivalents at 5 watts each, you would pay £31.45 per year.

OK, so 20 half decent LED GU10s would cost around £200 (don't buy cheap ones...) but they last far, far longer than halogen bulbs and you would still make a saving in the first year.

Omg! How much is the salon I'm in costing In lights? The salon has about 20 lights, the bathroom has about 10, shampoo room 5, kitchen has about 5 (8 with cooker hood) office has about 5 and beauty room unknown all halogen.

I've also altered the bulbs in my house. Normal bulbs have been replaced with halogen and all the energy saving ones thrown out because I didn't like the light, wish I hadn't. I love the under cupboard lights in the kitchen, and am looking to add enough "hidden" lights that we can remove the ceiling ones and have a clear ceiling. But guessing its all going to bring in big bills :(

On a lot of things I buy I go around twice. Once to fill up basket/trolley and then again to put things back. The longer you hold on to things the more you question the need in it all xoxo

Yep, I also split the round cotton pads and cut them in half and half again until I have triangles. I use the couch roll I take off after each client to clean with and spray tanning solution on to 'check the spray'

great thread,

i have started to cut cotton up and separate couch roll, and like someone else said when im ordering i put in my basket and then check that i actually need everything!! i have lots of glitter, foils, gems etc and dont use them all the time so im not buying anymore!! (i will buy the new additives though!)

the last few years my husband and i have both been out of work and had to cut back, its amazing how by clever spending i could save £70 a week on food, £60 month on energy, £10 month on phone.....i need to start applying this to my business xx

isn't amazing the effect a recession can have on peoples thinking.
brilliant post Lynne as usual.
a few years ago some of these ideas would have us branded cheapskates but now it's sensible.
my dad used to say waste not want not.
i too have always split tissues and cotton discs. i leave off the lights in rooms i won't be using that day, always always unplug everything.:Scared:
i have an air con/ heating vented system that devours electricity if it isn't kept serviced.
i have to admit to jumping up and down in the bin to squash everything down
and i get great satisfaction out of decanting bottles into each other knowing that the empty one really hasn't a drop left in it when i bin it.

I have started splitting couch roll, we go through loads so will now get double the use out of it!

I think I'll start splitting cotton pads, and tissues. I do think I look like a Scrooge but it doesn't make me do my job any worse, it doesn't effect the quality of my work, and unless I split them up in front of the client they wouldn't know any different.

Thanks for this thread. It has made me look at every decision with "will it make the boa go faster"

Xx

Have just read another thread that mention this fab thread so thought I'd have another read.

I was guilty to buying everything I wanted when I first started (a dozen konad polishes and plates in one of my drawers waiting for me to get the time, inclination or client base that wants them!)

It just got me thinking - Shellac polishes ( I have them all of course!!)
To all you other therapists out there who have them all, will you be buying all four on the 2nd April? Also if you do have them all, did you buy them all because you thought you should/must have them or absolutely loved all of them and thought they would all "make your boat go faster" ?

H xx

I always buy the new ones as advertising I have them always generates more bookings. However, I have a few that I won't be buying again as my clients have never requested them and they don't do anything for my business. For example - I never use Blackpool now as everyone loves overtly onyx.

Have just read another thread that mention this fab thread so thought I'd have another read.

I was guilty to buying everything I wanted when I first started (a dozen konad polishes and plates in one of my drawers waiting for me to get the time, inclination or client base that wants them!)

To all you other therapists out there who have them all, will you be buying all four on the 2nd April? Also if you do have them all, did you buy them all because you thought you should/must have them or absolutely loved all of them and thought they would all "make your boat go faster" ?

H xx

When reading this thread the new shellac colours where the first thing that popped into my head.

I offer a good range of beauty treatments but I do Shellac more than anything else and have gotten myself a good name for it. I do have every colour and I had planned to buy the new ones (likely I still will!) I use them for advertising purposes to get my clients talking. No one else near has the entire range so for me it's and advantage. Will it make the oat go faster? For a while yes! Does that count.

I will however be checking that I need everything else and that nothing falls into my basket. I do not need any more glitters, no matter how much I want them. I have over 100, its pretty ridiculous.

I already split couch roll but why split cotton wool? I always use both sides anyway, am I missing something here?

:)

Another geek who found this from another thread today. Been waiting all day to get the time to sit and read. So glad I did! Really made me sit down and think!
Funny thing is I am an absolute tightwad when it comes to home finances, always checking if I can get a better deal, haggling with my gas/electricity/phone suppliers, using coupons/vouchers at supermarkets.
However, my new business venture is a totally different story! Having just qualified in Shellac, and both Brisa Lite courses and spending a bomb, I keep ordering more (I haven't even started my business yet!). I love bling!!! :lol:
This has made me step right back and rethink how I am going to manage my business finances.
Thank you, thank you Lynne, as always I love reading your threads, you really have helped me, yet again. (Although this now means I am going to hold tight on getting in touch with you about investing in your products for a while, well a teensy while :wink2: )
xx

Aw, thank you!
And as for hanging fire on our products, no worries! You sit tight till you're ready to start looking properly.
We'll happily send you a very comprehensive sample pack whenever you want, but we'll never, ever hassle you.
:)

H xx
I usually always buy the complete collections when they come out BUT not from now on.
I need to be more selective.I have the complete collection but 12 of them I seldom use and too expensive to have just sitting there!
I will wait till I can see them in the flesh and then choose.
time to be sensible

Latest posts

Back