Will Shellac withstand a week in the ocean/pool/hot tub?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cindy1005

Reaction score
Hello nail experts,
I'm training in beauty but have not done any courses in nails as yet (will do mani/pedi this weekend ). I'm going on holiday next week and would like to try shellac for the first time while I'm on holiday (and allowed to wear nail polish!). I would like to know if shellac manicure will be damaged by a week in the Caribbean (swimming in ocean, pool and hot tub daily)? Has anyone tried this? If I do get the manicure and it is ruined while I'm on holiday, how do I remove it? I won't be back in London for 2 weeks so I will need to remove it if its totally ruined.

thank you
Cindy

Hello nail experts,
I'm training in beauty but have not done any courses in nails as yet (will do mani/pedi this weekend ). I'm going on holiday next week and would like to try shellac for the first time while I'm on holiday (and allowed to wear nail polish!). I would like to know if shellac manicure will be damaged by a week in the Caribbean (swimming in ocean, pool and hot tub daily)? Has anyone tried this? If I do get the manicure and it is ruined while I'm on holiday, how do I remove it? I won't be back in London for 2 weeks so I will need to remove it if its totally ruined.

thank you
Cindy

Hi cindy, Thank you for your question.

Any nail coating including Shellac will be affected by sun, lotions, chlorine, salt and the daily dehydration from water.

The good news is that the effects from these things can be over come with some care from you and your manicure should stay perfect while you are away. You can purchase a "Remove Tube" from your Shellac technician to take away with you and with which you can remove your colour coat if needed. the remove tube contains the wraps, the solution to remove shellac, a wooden manicure stick and some solar Oil)

Here is what you do:

Massage a drop of Solar Oil onto your nails and the surrounding skin both morning and night.

Before sunbathing Aways dry your hands when you come out of the pool, hot tub or the sea, so that the bleaching action from sun, salt and chlorine does not fade the colour you choose to wear while away. If you fail to do this, some colours will fade (mostly those pale pink colours).

Stay away from any sun tan products that contain the insecticide DEET. DEET will ruin most nail coatings in a very short time. Certainly if you have used a lotion with DEET then wipe it off your nails.

Do these things and your holiday manicure should last very well.

Dear Geeg,
thank you very much for your advice. I will do as you say. I was actually going to choose a pale pink colour but maybe I'd be better off with a brighter colour just in case it fades. I suspect repeated exposure to salt water and chlorine and lots of sun in Trinidad and Tobago may be a real test! I'm just really eager to try shellac and since I'm going on holiday and don't have to remove it in a few days to go to beauty class I thought it would be a good time to try it.

thank you
Cindy

Bearing in mind that I live permanently in Spain and as most people do here we live by the pool in the summer months ... hands always in water of one sort or another, I personally have never had a problem with Shellac fading .. but I do take the precautions listed above and am careful.

A brighter colour would be advisable if you are going to give the nails some hammer in the sun. I don't bake in the sun but can understand anyone from rainy old Britain doing so. We don't get complaints from our clients re fading etc but they well know the score from us and what to avoid and they would not dare to neglect using their Solar Oil!! :Scared: They know that we KNOW if they have used it or not by the feel and the look of thier nails. :biggrin:

I was in Barbados earlier in the year and my nails stayed perfect. Dont let them get too long. Give them a wee file every few days just to keep the length constant .. if they get too long and start to become bendy and flex because of the water saturation etc this can cause the coating to loosen. If you feel them starting to get bendy then file down a bit. That's it .. pretty easy. I hope you have a lovely time in T & T, such a gorgeous part of the world. Have a few of those delicious rum punches for me.

I'm Trinidadian so I never have the urge to sunbathe, I usually slather on SPF50+ because I burn easily! But it is quite sunny so I will get alot of sun exposure anyway. I'm paler than the average Trini so people are always yelling at me to go stand in the sun and get a tan :lol: My nails are really hard so they won't bend normally. I will file them and apply solar oil as you recommend. One rum punch coming up :biggrin:

thanks
Cindy

Well have fun at home! I just love it there in the West Indies. Going again next spring. I flew sitting next to a very nice Trinidadian young man who filled me in on the differences between the island people. lol He was lovely and very well educated. I enjoyed the flight lol. I do hope you are going to a good technician that offers the real Shellac Service ... if not, pm me and I will put you in touch with a proper person. xx

Latest posts

Back