Will the CND LED lamp also cure Gelish?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hippy chick

Reaction score
I currently offer both Gelish and shellac, and I have been using the CND UV lamp to cure both with no problems but I'd like to invest in an LED lamp. I'm interested in the CND one but would it cure Gelish too?
Thanks in advance x

I think it would. I have a gelish led lamp and I've used it to cure other brands. Always been fine. I know some brands specify that you should use their lamp. I don't think gelish specify this though.

I currently offer both Gelish and shellac, and I have been using the CND UV lamp to cure both with no problems but I'd like to invest in an LED lamp. I'm interested in the CND one but would it cure Gelish too?
Thanks in advance x
Maybe check for insurance purposes though.

Gelish endorse the use of any brand 36 watt uv but specify their led lamps must be used for led cure.

Uv lamps produce the full range of uva light. Led lamps produce a narrower uva light spectrum which means a quicker cure tailored specifically to the product. This in turn means it's vital you use the light designed for the system.

All the brands I've used are led curable. I wouldn't use led on uv cure only gel. But I think hippy chick is asking if you can use a CND led lamp to cure Gelish, or if you have to use the gelish led lamp specifically.

Awww no i had finally made my mind up about getting the new led lamp tomorrow, now I've read these posts I may just be sticking to the uv lamp.

All the brands I've used are led curable. I wouldn't use led on uv cure only gel. But I think hippy chick is asking if you can use a CND led lamp to cure Gelish, or if you have to use the gelish led lamp specifically.
Sorry ignore me, I just reread your post! I didn't realise that they specify that you can only use their lamp.

Do shellac specify that you must cure with their LED lamp? If not the gelish lamp is good.

CND specify their lights must always be used for curing.

The Gelish 18g lamp definitely doesn't cure a lot of the Cnd line.

The Cnd led is a 1 minute cure with 2 separate light frequency settings. It's quite different to any other led light.

Do shellac specify that you must cure with their LED lamp? If not the gelish lamp is good.

Yup, afraid so. The CND LED was designed specifically to provide correct curing for Shellac. To that end, only the manufacturers would have any idea if it provides an LED wavelength suitable for any other product.

( to provide a complete, safe and correct cure, I mean. I know there are many who will say "I use so-and-so lamp which such-and such gel and it seems just fine and it last the same. But none of us appear to be Chemists :) )

I know that there must be a science behind only using a particular lamp and for insurance you have to follow manufacturers instructions etc. But I don't understand how you can get brands that claim you can use LED lamp alongside any system? If there is a science behind it then how is it possible? Sorry, I'm not disagreeing or hope not to start a debate buy do you see what I mean?

I know that there must be a science behind only using a particular lamp and for insurance you have to follow manufacturers instructions etc. But I don't understand how you can get brands that claim you can use LED lamp alongside any system? If there is a science behind it then how is it possible? Sorry, I'm not disagreeing or hope not to start a debate buy do you see what I mean?

Absolutely, and debate is good because it helps every one understand better and become more knowledgeable professionals.
My understanding is that some LED lights are generically designed and therefore output a particularly 'standard' range of light frequency. In the same way, many LED gels are created from a base formula by one factory, and bought by many other companies that use it to make their own brands to package and sell, therefore meaning they can all be cured by the same output, as they are all essentially the same.
Others may be unique, but are still developed with properties that are able to cure without specific equipment., as long as the lamp you have outputs the frequency of light needed by the product.

On the other side, other companies deliberately manufacture their products to be completely different and have different properties- such as CND, which among other things was designed with different ingredients to be hypo-allergenic whereas others are not, and so as a consequence has a curing requirement much narrower than other products and the output of other lamps. This is why a lamp was specifically calibrated for the needs of Shellac, and other lamps very often won't cure it- their output in terms of light frequency doesn't match.

Companies that specify a specific light with have designed and tested not only for LED output, but also placement and angle of the light and other clever engineering ideas to accommodate the specific needs of their product compared to general formulas.

Does that make sense to you?

Last edited:
I have cured Shellac and a few other brands with my Gelish LED...never had any problems with any of them...

I have cured Shellac and a few other brands with my Gelish LED...never had any problems with any of them...

1. Gel polish hardens when it is only partially cured so it is impossible to tell with the naked eye whether it is totally cured.
2. You must have a limited shellac collection as numerous colours do not even slightly cure & remain entirely wet in the Gelish 18g.
3. A client deserves treatments carried out following best practice. Allergic reactions are a common result of under cured gel. Risking this outcome due to cutting corners by using the wrong lamp is unethical.

I was wondering the other way round. Will a CND lamp cure Gelish.

I only offer my clients the Gelish...just been playing around with other brands to try them out [emoji4]

Absolutely, and debate is good because it helps every one understand better and become more knowledgeable professionals.
My understanding is that some LED lights are generically designed and therefore output a particularly 'standard' range of light frequency. In the same way, many LED gels are created from a base formula by one factory, and bought by many other companies that use it to make their own brands to package and sell, therefore meaning they can all be cured by the same output, as they are all essentially the same.
Others may be unique, but are still developed with properties that are able to cure without specific equipment., as long as the lamp you have outputs the frequency of light needed by the product.

On the other side, other companies deliberately manufacture their products to be completely different and have different properties- such as CND, which among other things was designed with different ingredients to be hypo-allergenic whereas others are not, and so as a consequence has a curing requirement much narrower than other products and the output of other lamps. This is why a lamp was specifically calibrated for the needs of Shellac, and other lamps very often won't cure it- their output in terms of light frequency doesn't match.

Companies that specify a specific light with have designed and tested not only for LED output, but also placement and angle of the light and other clever engineering ideas to accommodate the specific needs of their product compared to general formulas.

Does that make sense to you?
Hiya, yes it makes a lot more sense. Thank you x

Will a CND led lamp cure Gelish?

Latest posts

Back