Windows: phone scam warning!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

izzidoll

Strictly Scottish Geek!
Premium Geek
Reaction score
Thought I would alert my fellow Geeks about this.

I received a phone call this morning, the Indian woman asked for me by name then introduced herself stating she was calling from Windows Security Centre. She stated that there were numerous faults being reported to them from my computer and these would be making it run slow.
I have had numerous error reports on my laptop but I never send them to Windows, also she asked for me by my maiden name (despite being married for 12 years I haven't got round to changing it on my phone listing!) so I was already a bit suspicious ;)

She asked me to swith my PC on (it was on as I had been geeking) and she wanted me to click on start the Run...then she would help me FIX my PC.

She was very forceful and ignored my questions about how she got my phone number, how could I verify she was with Windows, and just talked over me stressing how important it was to fix the thousands of errors on my pc.

I was not about to let a complete stranger have access to all the information on my PC so I told her to email me verification of any faults and her credentials, and hung up.

So glad I did, as I have now found this
Virus phone scam being run from call centres in India | Technology | The Guardian

These calls are on the increase, so be aware, and Microsoft Windows does not make unsolicited calls to help you fix your computer EVER !!

I had this a few weeks ago at my day job. An Indian gentleman called William. I listened to his spiel (said same thing about my PC sending reports to microsoft) I even said no when he asked if my computer was running slow etc must have let him chat on for a good 5-10 mins. Then he said if I turn my PC on he would help me fix it so I said I can but I have an apple mac not a PC and he hung up on me :lol:. I dont actually have a mac at work but I do just love wasting peoples time when they want to waste mine!! :wink2:

Thanks for sharing this hun :)

Beautychic lmao your post made me laugh! xx

This happened to me aswell.

I knew it was crap as soon as I listened to him. And when he asked me to turn my computer on I just told him no.

I almost fell for it (yes I'm that stupid lol) when I realised what the guy was up to I hung up but he rang back so many times and in the end I told him I just had to log on and it would take a while and I left him hanging there for about 20 minutes while I went off and did the housework .... It gave me great pleasure and I kept going back to the phone telling him to hang on! Lol!!

I almost fell for it (yes I'm that stupid lol) when I realised what the guy was up to I hung up but he rang back so many times and in the end I told him I just had to log on and it would take a while and I left him hanging there for about 20 minutes while I went off and did the housework .... It gave me great pleasure and I kept going back to the phone telling him to hang on! Lol!!

heehee, good idea.:lol:

I have had this too and almost fell for it the first time. I now just say oh thanks for letting me know I will contact my service provider and let them know. LOL.

I get this every month!!!
I tell them I'm not stupid enough to let them scam me & the police are aware of them, funnily enough they soon hang up!!!

Funnily enough my mum had this about 4 weeks ago she them rang me and I said that it may have been a scam I shall ring her now and tell her about it all incase it happens again.

Thanks for the heads up xx

Yeah I've had this too! I just question them till they get fed up, from things like who is my ISP, to how do I switch my pc on? They get so annoyed! Haven't had one of these calls for a while! Hopefully this is one group of people who have blacklisted me!! Haha!

I had this last week woman/man (erm really couldnt tell) rang from "global tech" who had been authorised by every broadband provider to work on their behalf........apparently.
I was downloading illegal viruses from the Internet and she needed me to switch on my computer.
Used my lady instinct and said I was far too busy, rang bt BIG FAT SCAM shameless aren't they.

They ring me everyday!!!! 😡

Latest posts

Back